Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart refused ammo sale.

Walmart refused ammo sale.

OK, guess it had to happen. After 35 years carrying I finally had an official "encounter"....

Been buying ammo at Walmart on 8th ave in the Springs every week for years. always carrying, never an issue. Today broke that streak. I headed to the sporting good dept to pick up some 9mm 124gr ball. An associate was stocking shelves as I went to the counter.

Assoc: You need something

Me: yeah, when you have a minute a cpl boxes of 9mm 124 gr.

Assoc: We don't have anything like that.

Me: sure you do, it is under the counter. RWS, in an orange and black box.

Assoc (still stocking) : never heard of it, told you we don't carry anything like that.

Me: It's Swiss. and I buy it here all the time, it's right there (pointing)

Assoc (comes to counter): What's that on your hip?

Me: Glock 26

Assoc: Get it out of the store or I won't sell you any.

Me: I buy it here all the time with no problem.

Assoc. I said take it outside.

Me: I don't think so, I have never been asked this before and come here every week.

Assoc: well I don't feel safe with you here with that. So I am selling you nothing.

Me: ok, fine. (and walked away)

Went and talked to an assist mgr, a friendly guy, who said "come with me, I take care of it" and started walking toward sporting goods. I said I'd wait here as the guy was uncomfortable and I'd wait for him to return. His manager stopped him on the way to and said not to sell me ammo while carrying. He came back and apologized. Saying he was a gun owner and didn't see the problem as I was loaded now and could have done something already if it was my intention. I told him I would write corporate and thanked him for his time. He extended his hand with a smile and said "good for you, I would"

Just thought I would share this. I'll get around to writing the letter after I calm down a bit and collect my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by GvdM View Post
    Saying he was a gun owner and didn't see the problem as I was loaded now and could have done something already if it was my intention. I told him I would write corporate and thanked him for his time. He extended his hand with a smile and said "good for you, I would"
    Stupid and then some. At least one guy had a brain. Though two out of three employees and one out of two in management being clueless isn't a great demographic sample. Reason #586,342 to stay out of the Evil W.

This wasn't a safety issue, it was an anti-carry issue. In which case, wrong department to be working in. I'd be more torqued off about the attitude more than anything. Pretty head stockboy with delusions of grandeur needs to reread his job description to think his $4.75 an hour includes telling anyone to take ANYTHING outside. Sure as hell wasn't something I dealt with in that position.

I'd like to know where in the Wallyworld training manual it says when dealing with a potentially beligerient (or in this case courteous person you don't feel like serving for a dumba$$ reason) customer you get in their face rather then dealing with path of least resistance and sending them on their way. Asking you to leave, fine. Calling the police, fine. Letting you stand there and not be served? Getting in your face about it? Where is that a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    Stupid and then some. At least one guy had a brain. Though two out of three employees and one out of two in management being clueless isn't a great demographic sample. Reason #586,342 to stay out of the Evil W.

This wasn't a safety issue, it was an anti-carry issue. In which case, wrong department to be working in. I'd be more torqued off about the attitude more than anything.

Yup, I see it the same way, but then again I was involved. Still a bit torqued about it.

You handled that well. I can honestly say I would have had a hell of an argument with any associate that told me to get my gun out of their store. I would have probably argued with the manager as well. I can't wait to see how this turns out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLittleMan View Post
    You handled that well. I can honestly say I would have had a hell of an argument with any associate that told me to get my gun out of their store. I would have probably argued with the manager as well. I can't wait to see how this turns out for you.

Well, I'm not sure how well I handled it tbh. I was kind of in shock considering I carry everywhere I go, not used to this treatment and was more in disbelief than anything..
    Last edited by GvdM; 07-31-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Having had the opportunity to work as an operations manager for several Walmarts I can tell you that this was a corporate policy violation. I would definitely write a complaint. When you write the complaint it will automatically be forwarded to the store manager to handle. If you complain about the store manager it will go directly to the market manager. Good luck. Let us know what you send and how they respond.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    What corporations, even the size of Wal Mart, need to understand is that minimum wage and minimum trained hired help is a lot easier to replace in this economy than regular paying customers are. Unfortunately, the stock boy probably couldn't be fired without a huge union hassle, but he should have been fired on the spot.
    Union Hassle???? How far do you have your cranium inserted in a dark place???

WalMart is NOT unionized.

And per upper management, the manager is fixing to get a reaming when they hear what happened. Consequently so is the "Stock Boy".

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    Union Hassle???? How far do you have your cranium inserted in a dark place???

WalMart is NOT unionized.

And per upper management, the manager is fixing to get a reaming when they hear what happened. Consequently so is the "Stock Boy".

Yep, Walmart is definitely anti-union. Or as they all it pro-people. They would rather shut down a successful store rather than have it unionized.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

What corporations, even the size of Wal Mart, need to understand is that minimum wage and minimum trained hired help is a lot easier to replace in this economy than regular paying customers are. Unfortunately, the stock boy probably couldn't be fired without a huge union hassle, but he should have been fired on the spot.
    He can be reassigned to a different department, say, restroom sanitation...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Well, I'm not sure how well I handled it tbh. I was kind of in shock considering I carry everywhere I go, not used to this treatment and was more in disbelief than anything..
    Which Wally World was this? I suddenly realized I have a pressing need for more 9mm.

*edit* Nvm, I just saw that you already gave the location in your OP. That's what I get for reading early in the morning.
    Last edited by Polynikes; 08-01-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Me: yeah, when you have a minute a cpl boxes of 9mm 124 gr.

Assoc: We don't have anything like that."

WTF? Lol...

This reminds me of the time at Walmart that I asked for a couple of boxes of "9mm Luger" and was told "we don't sell Lugers here."

Unfortunately, the stock boy probably couldn't be fired without a huge union hassle, but he should have been fired on the spot.
    Howdy Folks!
    The anti-union propaganda is right up there with anti-gun rhetoric, and unions end up becoming a straw man for political types to demonize. As a result, there are folks who believe unions are everywhere. In fact, they are not. They are few and far between these days, and haven't had any real power since Hoffa was a kid! When it comes to Walmart, they have not ever been, are not now, nor will ever be (if they have anything to say about it). As a consequence, most of their associates are part time, can't afford the health insurance available, are frequently told to go on the public dole (food stamps, etc) and the corporation enjoys corporate welfare (such as tax incentives and subsidies) that we ultimately pay for.

Walmart is never really so cheap as it appears at face value. But hey, they are good for God and country. Assuming of course, the country in question is China!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Update time.....

Before writing to Corp I called the store and asked for the manager. Kerry came on the phone and I related what had happened. She actually sounded angry about it and wanted the employee's name. Kerry said what happened is directly against policy. She also said she carries too and would be livid if treated as I was, though she carried concealed as a hip holster doesn't work for her.. I asked her if I could come in and buy my ammo now and that I would be armed. She said "of course" and apologized again. I went into the store (armed as always) and went to sporting goods. It took awhile until an assoc. showed up. I asked her for the ammo, and she asked me if I could point it out as she worked in another area and was covering as the other guy wasn't here anymore.

Kinda feel bad as it appears someone lost their job in this economy. Some retraining might have been sufficient but it appears that the problem was solved.
    Last edited by GvdM; 08-01-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Update time.....

Before writing to Corp I called the store and asked for the manager. Kerry came on the phone and I related what had happened. She actually sounded angry about it and wanted the employee's name. Kerry said what happened is directly against policy. She also said she carries too and would be livid if treated as I was, though she carried concealed as a hip holster doesn't work for her.. I asked her if I could come in and buy my ammo now and that I would be armed. She said "of course" and apologized again. I went into the store (armed as always) and went to sporting goods. It took awhile until an assoc. showed up. I asked her for the ammo, and she asked me if I could point it out as she worked in another area and was covering as the other guy wasn't here anymore.

Kinda feel bad as it appears someone lost their job in this economy. Some retraining might have been sufficient but it appears that the problem was solved.
    Fired is retraining - retail customer service is the front face of any business, a useless or belligerent front-face can cause thousands of dollars for a business.

It is called a job and if someone does not like it, does not treat the customers well, or is “just in a bad mood” suck it up and do the job or go somewhere else.

Sorry one of my pet peeves, as former management I would tolerate some things - giving crap to a customer was a job-ending-event for my crew, no warning, instant out, I would have mercy but customers do not and that is bad for business.
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. – P.J. O'Rourke

Update time.....

Howdy Amigo!
    I disagree. The person who originally caused this problem did it to himself. He was unnecessarily abusive to you, the customer. He could have been helpful, but had an attitude. What can additional training do to compensate for a bad attitude toward customers? Perhaps he will have time to reflect on the fact that his boss is the customer, and when you abuse the boss, you likely do not retain employment. After all, without customers, why do they need him hanging around anyhow?

Then there is the whole thing about failing to make a sale, rather than taking care of the customer. Repeat business is not built on running off paying customers. You've said, and told him at the time, that you are a regular customer who visits often. That is precisely the sort of customer they don't want to lose.

Like somebody said elsewhere... which do you want? An employee who blows sales and angers loyal customers, or the money the customer brings into your store on a regular basis? When put into perspective, they did the right thing in getting rid of the kid, before he had a more profound impact on the bottom line.

Anyhow, that's how I'd look at the situation.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Walmart is never really so cheap as it appears at face value. But hey, they are good for God and country. Assuming of course, the country in question is China!
    Hear! Hear!

Look at it this way, you gave him a valuable lesson (and probably the other manager) about leaving their attitudes and personal prejudices at the door.
    Last edited by mahkagari; 08-01-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Amigo!
    I disagree. The person who originally caused this problem did it to himself. He was unnecessarily abusive to you, the customer. He could have been helpful, but had an attitude. What can additional training do to compensate for a bad attitude toward customers? Perhaps he will have time to reflect on the fact that his boss is the customer, and when you abuse the boss, you likely do not retain employment. After all, without customers, why do they need him hanging around anyhow?

Then there is the whole thing about failing to make a sale, rather than taking care of the customer. Repeat business is not built on running off paying customers. You've said, and told him at the time, that you are a regular customer who visits often. That is precisely the sort of customer they don't want to lose.

Like somebody said elsewhere... which do you want? An employee who blows sales and angers loyal customers, or the money the customer brings into your store on a regular basis? When put into perspective, they did the right thing in getting rid of the kid, before he had a more profound impact on the bottom line.

Anyhow, that's how I'd look at the situation.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Or to look at it another way, there's now a job opening for an honest person in need of a job.

...believe unions are everywhere. In fact, they are not. They are few and far between these days, and haven't had any real power since Hoffa was a kid!...
    Perhaps not in Colorado. I personally know people in NYC who have been pelted with stones by union thugs while the police observed to make sure things "didn't get out of hand." Why were they being pelted with stones? They dared to do their own construction work on their own property and not hire union labor. They also had to truck in their concrete from New Jersey because NYC plants would not sell to those who were not using union labor. I will admit this is a far cry from the union's glory days, though, and that unions are different and should not be generalized. I have been an IBEW union member. I have many friends who are members of various unions, including in NYC.

Here in Clark County, NV, the policeman's union is on record telling its members (taxpayer-paid police officers) not to cooperate with our new coroner's inquest procedures (taxpayer-representative-implemented procedures) after they shoot people (which is very common around here). They got too used to the rubber stamp procedure of the past and forgot who they still work for.

Back on topic: GvdM, I applaud you for actually taking the time to do something about the problem, not just getting mad about it, venting about it here, but actually DOING something in a respectful way.
    Last edited by MAC702; 08-01-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Sounds like they took care of half the problem. The bad attitude kid is gone. The manager that stopped the assistant manager should be retrained and demoted to assistant and move the assistant up to manager. That would get the message out pretty fast.

Thumbs down Don't quote what you don't know.

Howdy Folks!
    The anti-union propaganda is right up there with anti-gun rhetoric, and unions end up becoming a straw man for political types to demonize. As a result, there are folks who believe unions are everywhere. In fact, they are not. They are few and far between these days, and haven't had any real power since Hoffa was a kid! When it comes to Walmart, they have not ever been, are not now, nor will ever be (if they have anything to say about it). As a consequence, most of their associates are part time, can't afford the health insurance available, are frequently told to go on the public dole (food stamps, etc) and the corporation enjoys corporate welfare (such as tax incentives and subsidies) that we ultimately pay for.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    I worked for Wal-Mart for years before getting a job working for the government. I had their health insurance and It was way cheaper at Wal-mart than it is at the govnernment level. I pay $120/ every two weeks more than I paid at Wal-mart for the exact same coverage. The emplyees that work part time, most of them choose it, and Wal-mart never tells any one to get on state programs. This forum requires links to your information. I would like a link to this information about Wal Mart telling their employees to take hand outs. It does not exist it is media propoganda that people like you spread as truth when it is not truth.

...Kinda feel bad as it appears someone lost their job in this economy. Some retraining might have been sufficient but it appears that the problem was solved.
    What's to retrain? The kid has (er, had...) two things to do. Stock shelves and help the paying customer get what he wants. Not a whole helluva lot to work with there if he can't do the latter. You mention the economy. Look at it this way, someone far more willing to do the job now has it in this poor economy.

Just a side. It was not a kid but a guy who appeared to be in his 40's

Quote Originally Posted by GvdM
    Before writing to Corp I called the store and asked for the manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Ike
    Sounds like they took care of half the problem. The bad attitude kid is gone. The manager that stopped the assistant manager should be retrained and demoted to assistant and move the assistant up to manager. That would get the message out pretty fast.
    I agree with Ike.
    Though maybe the store manager decided to retrain the higher-ups instead of firing them?
    More training already invested, ya know.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlip74 View Post
    I worked for Wal-Mart for years before getting a job working for the government. I had their health insurance and It was way cheaper at Wal-mart than it is at the govnernment level. I pay $120/ every two weeks more than I paid at Wal-mart for the exact same coverage. The emplyees that work part time, most of them choose it, and Wal-mart never tells any one to get on state programs. This forum requires links to your information. I would like a link to this information about Wal Mart telling their employees to take hand outs. It does not exist it is media propoganda that people like you spread as truth when it is not truth.
    Howdy Amigo!
    To begin with, this is a forum about open carry, not a debate over Walmart itself. However, considering you call the credibility of others into question, I will quote only a few sources here. Just a very few of a really big iceburg! After this, I will not continue driving this thread off topic. I won't however, let your claim go unchallenged:

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Co...t_Welfare.html

http://www.alternet.org/story/22298/

http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch...walmart_3a.cfm

http://www.walmartmovie.com/facts.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wal-Mart

http://www.sullivan-county.com/id2/wal-mart/welfare.htm

http://www.dsausa.org/lowwage/walmar...t%20study.html

http://mediamatters.org/research/200512100002

http://forums.hannibal.net/boards3/v...?f=14&p=189438

http://drgdarealgrinc.hubpages.com/h...rts-pros--cons

http://walmartwatch.org/blog/archive...e-food-stamps/

http://nomountorabwalmart.wordpress.com/

http://www.seattlepi.com/default/art...in-1162992.php

ALABAMA: 3,864 Children of WAL-MART Employees are Enrolled in Medicaid
    y
    "Retail giant Wal-Mart tops the list of companies in Alabama whose employeeshave children on Medicaid, the [Montgomery] Advertiser reported, citing staterecords. Wal-Mart workers' children account for 3,864 children on the Medicaidrolls at a cost between $5.8 million and $8.2 million."
    y
    Source: Associated Press,"Wal-Mart No. 1 in Employee Medicaid,"
    The Decatur Daily
    , February 23, 2005
    ARIZONA: 2,700 WAL-MART Workers on Medicaid
    y
    According to state data provided to Capitol Media Services and reported by theArizona Daily Star, "Close to one of every 10 Wal-Mart employees is gettinghealth insurance paid for by Arizona taxpayers, according to figures obtainedFriday from the state...In the Arizona statistics, nearly 2,700 people listed theiremployer as Wal-Mart out of more than 28,000 company employees in thestate...The numbers came as a surprise to state Sen. Richard Miranda, D-Phoenix, who tried earlier this year to get a law requiring the DES [Department of

Economic Security] to disclose the employers of people on AHCCCS. Thatmeasure was defeated amid opposition from corporate lobbyists, including RipWilson representing Wal-Mart."
    y
    Source: Howard Fischer,"Wal-Mart 1st in State Aid Enrollees,"
    Arizona Daily Star
    ,July 30, 2005
    ARKANSAS: 3971 WAL-MART Workers on Public Assistance
    y
    "Nearly 10,000 workers with Arkansas' nine largest employers receive publicwelfare for themselves and their families, according to the state Department of Human Services. Wal-Mart Stores Inc., with 3,971 of its 45,106 employees onpublic assistance, topped the list."
    y
    Source: Brian Baskin,"Top 9 Employers in State Have 9,698 Getting Public Aid,"
    Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
    , March 17, 2005.
    CONNECTICUT: 824 WAL-MART Workers
    Have Children in a State
    Heath CareProgram
    y
    According to a report prepared by the Connecticut Office of Legislative Researchexamining enrollment data for the HUSKY (Healthcare for UninSured Kids andYouth) program for children of low-income families, "The same employersaccount for the highest number of employed parents of HUSKY A [traditionalMedicaid] and B [state CHIP] children. For example, Wal Mart employed thehighest number of HUSKY A parents (824 in September 2004) and the secondhighest number of HUSKY B parents (79 in December 2004)."
    y
    Source: Robin K. Cohen,"HUSKY A and B - Enrollment and Employer Data,"
    Connecticut Office of Legislative Research Report 2005-R-0017
    , January 10,2005.
    FLORIDA: 12,300 WAL-MART Workers and their Dependents on Medicaid
    y
    "Wal-Mart Corp., which is getting millions of dollars in state incentives to createjobs in Florida, has more employees and family members enrolled in Medicaidthan any company in the state. ...The giant retailer, which has 91,000 full-timeand part-time employees in Florida, has about 12,300 workers or dependentseligible for Medicaid, the growing health care program for the poor and theelderly...According to figures released Thursday by Florida's Department of Children and Families, Wal-Mart and four other large companies that receive stateincentives have an estimated 29,900 employees or their family members enrolledin Medicaid...The figures suggest taxpayers may be double-subsidizing low-wageemployment by paying companies to create jobs and by paying for the healthcare of some of those companies' employees."
    y
    Source: Sydney P. Freedberg and Connie Humburg,"Lured Employers Now TaxMedicaid,"
    St. Petersburg Times
    , March 25, 2005.
    GEORGIA: 10,261 Children of WAL-MART Employees are Enrolled in PeachCarefor Kids
    y
    "A state survey found 10,261 of the 166,000 children covered by Georgia's PeachCare? for Kids health insurance in September 2002 had a parent working for Wal-Mart Stores...Wal-Mart is the state's largest private employer. But when the topfour companies on the list are measured by number of PeachCare children per thenumber of employees in Georgia, Wal-Mart still dominates."
    y
    Source: Andy Miller,"Wal-Mart Stands Out On Rolls Of PeachCare,"
    AtlantaJournal-Constitution,
    February 27, 2004.

There is lots and lots more, but I believe I've made my point. What I said was accurate.
    It has been confirmed by state agencies in every state in which Walmart operates.
    Of course, it could just be that you think there is some sort of grand conspiracy against Walmart that includes current and former employees, state agencies in all 50 states, news organizations across the nation, in collusion with the AFL-CIO.
    Once we conclude that such a massive conspiracy is, at face value, ridiculous, we are left with what must actually be true.

Now, with your gracious cooperation, let us return to the topic!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
    Snipped stuff...
    M-Taliesin
    For your amusement:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KrjQqIXHdU

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast