• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart refused ammo sale.

GvdM

OK, guess it had to happen. After 35 years carrying I finally had an official "encounter"....

Been buying ammo at Walmart on 8th ave in the Springs every week for years. always carrying, never an issue. Today broke that streak. I headed to the sporting good dept to pick up some 9mm 124gr ball. An associate was stocking shelves as I went to the counter.

Assoc: You need something

Me: yeah, when you have a minute a cpl boxes of 9mm 124 gr.

Assoc: We don't have anything like that.

Me: sure you do, it is under the counter. RWS, in an orange and black box.

Assoc (still stocking) : never heard of it, told you we don't carry anything like that.

Me: It's Swiss. and I buy it here all the time, it's right there (pointing)

Assoc (comes to counter): What's that on your hip?

Me: Glock 26

Assoc: Get it out of the store or I won't sell you any.

Me: I buy it here all the time with no problem.

Assoc. I said take it outside.

Me: I don't think so, I have never been asked this before and come here every week.

Assoc: well I don't feel safe with you here with that. So I am selling you nothing.

Me: ok, fine. (and walked away)

Went and talked to an assist mgr, a friendly guy, who said "come with me, I take care of it" and started walking toward sporting goods. I said I'd wait here as the guy was uncomfortable and I'd wait for him to return. His manager stopped him on the way to and said not to sell me ammo while carrying. He came back and apologized. Saying he was a gun owner and didn't see the problem as I was loaded now and could have done something already if it was my intention. I told him I would write corporate and thanked him for his time. He extended his hand with a smile and said "good for you, I would"

Just thought I would share this. I'll get around to writing the letter after I calm down a bit and collect my thoughts.

mahkagari

Saying he was a gun owner and didn't see the problem as I was loaded now and could have done something already if it was my intention. I told him I would write corporate and thanked him for his time. He extended his hand with a smile and said "good for you, I would"

Stupid and then some. At least one guy had a brain. Though two out of three employees and one out of two in management being clueless isn't a great demographic sample. Reason #586,342 to stay out of the Evil W.

This wasn't a safety issue, it was an anti-carry issue. In which case, wrong department to be working in. I'd be more torqued off about the attitude more than anything. Pretty head stockboy with delusions of grandeur needs to reread his job description to think his $4.75 an hour includes telling anyone to take ANYTHING outside. Sure as hell wasn't something I dealt with in that position.

I'd like to know where in the Wallyworld training manual it says when dealing with a potentially beligerient (or in this case courteous person you don't feel like serving for a dumba$$ reason) customer you get in their face rather then dealing with path of least resistance and sending them on their way. Asking you to leave, fine. Calling the police, fine. Letting you stand there and not be served? Getting in your face about it? Where is that a good idea?

GvdM

Stupid and then some. At least one guy had a brain. Though two out of three employees and one out of two in management being clueless isn't a great demographic sample. Reason #586,342 to stay out of the Evil W.

This wasn't a safety issue, it was an anti-carry issue. In which case, wrong department to be working in. I'd be more torqued off about the attitude more than anything.

Yup, I see it the same way, but then again I was involved. Still a bit torqued about it.

TheLittleMan

You handled that well. I can honestly say I would have had a hell of an argument with any associate that told me to get my gun out of their store. I would have probably argued with the manager as well. I can't wait to see how this turns out for you.

GvdM

You handled that well. I can honestly say I would have had a hell of an argument with any associate that told me to get my gun out of their store. I would have probably argued with the manager as well. I can't wait to see how this turns out for you.

Well, I'm not sure how well I handled it tbh. I was kind of in shock considering I carry everywhere I go, not used to this treatment and was more in disbelief than anything..

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Having had the opportunity to work as an operations manager for several Walmarts I can tell you that this was a corporate policy violation. I would definitely write a complaint. When you write the complaint it will automatically be forwarded to the store manager to handle. If you complain about the store manager it will go directly to the market manager. Good luck. Let us know what you send and how they respond.

OldCurlyWolf

What corporations, even the size of Wal Mart, need to understand is that minimum wage and minimum trained hired help is a lot easier to replace in this economy than regular paying customers are. Unfortunately, the stock boy probably couldn't be fired without a huge union hassle, but he should have been fired on the spot.

Union Hassle???? How far do you have your cranium inserted in a dark place???

WalMart is NOT unionized.

And per upper management, the manager is fixing to get a reaming when they hear what happened. Consequently so is the "Stock Boy".

:cool:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Union Hassle???? How far do you have your cranium inserted in a dark place???

WalMart is NOT unionized.

And per upper management, the manager is fixing to get a reaming when they hear what happened. Consequently so is the "Stock Boy".

:cool:

Yep, Walmart is definitely anti-union. Or as they all it pro-people. They would rather shut down a successful store rather than have it unionized.

since9

Campaign Veteran
What corporations, even the size of Wal Mart, need to understand is that minimum wage and minimum trained hired help is a lot easier to replace in this economy than regular paying customers are. Unfortunately, the stock boy probably couldn't be fired without a huge union hassle, but he should have been fired on the spot.

He can be reassigned to a different department, say, restroom sanitation...

Polynikes

Well, I'm not sure how well I handled it tbh. I was kind of in shock considering I carry everywhere I go, not used to this treatment and was more in disbelief than anything..

Which Wally World was this? I suddenly realized I have a pressing need for more 9mm.

*edit* Nvm, I just saw that you already gave the location in your OP. That's what I get for reading early in the morning. ;)

Last edited:

ManInBlack

"Me: yeah, when you have a minute a cpl boxes of 9mm 124 gr.

Assoc: We don't have anything like that."

WTF? Lol...

This reminds me of the time at Walmart that I asked for a couple of boxes of "9mm Luger" and was told "we don't sell Lugers here."

M-Taliesin

Unfortunately, the stock boy probably couldn't be fired without a huge union hassle, but he should have been fired on the spot.

Howdy Folks!
The anti-union propaganda is right up there with anti-gun rhetoric, and unions end up becoming a straw man for political types to demonize. As a result, there are folks who believe unions are everywhere. In fact, they are not. They are few and far between these days, and haven't had any real power since Hoffa was a kid! When it comes to Walmart, they have not ever been, are not now, nor will ever be (if they have anything to say about it). As a consequence, most of their associates are part time, can't afford the health insurance available, are frequently told to go on the public dole (food stamps, etc) and the corporation enjoys corporate welfare (such as tax incentives and subsidies) that we ultimately pay for.

Walmart is never really so cheap as it appears at face value. But hey, they are good for God and country. Assuming of course, the country in question is China!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

GvdM

Update time.....

Before writing to Corp I called the store and asked for the manager. Kerry came on the phone and I related what had happened. She actually sounded angry about it and wanted the employee's name. Kerry said what happened is directly against policy. She also said she carries too and would be livid if treated as I was, though she carried concealed as a hip holster doesn't work for her.. I asked her if I could come in and buy my ammo now and that I would be armed. She said "of course" and apologized again. I went into the store (armed as always) and went to sporting goods. It took awhile until an assoc. showed up. I asked her for the ammo, and she asked me if I could point it out as she worked in another area and was covering as the other guy wasn't here anymore.

Kinda feel bad as it appears someone lost their job in this economy. Some retraining might have been sufficient but it appears that the problem was solved.

Last edited:

DinFreemont

Update time.....

Before writing to Corp I called the store and asked for the manager. Kerry came on the phone and I related what had happened. She actually sounded angry about it and wanted the employee's name. Kerry said what happened is directly against policy. She also said she carries too and would be livid if treated as I was, though she carried concealed as a hip holster doesn't work for her.. I asked her if I could come in and buy my ammo now and that I would be armed. She said "of course" and apologized again. I went into the store (armed as always) and went to sporting goods. It took awhile until an assoc. showed up. I asked her for the ammo, and she asked me if I could point it out as she worked in another area and was covering as the other guy wasn't here anymore.

Kinda feel bad as it appears someone lost their job in this economy. Some retraining might have been sufficient but it appears that the problem was solved.

Fired is retraining - retail customer service is the front face of any business, a useless or belligerent front-face can cause thousands of dollars for a business.

It is called a job and if someone does not like it, does not treat the customers well, or is “just in a bad mood” suck it up and do the job or go somewhere else.

Sorry one of my pet peeves, as former management I would tolerate some things - giving crap to a customer was a job-ending-event for my crew, no warning, instant out, I would have mercy but customers do not and that is bad for business.

M-Taliesin

Update time.....

Howdy Amigo!
I disagree. The person who originally caused this problem did it to himself. He was unnecessarily abusive to you, the customer. He could have been helpful, but had an attitude. What can additional training do to compensate for a bad attitude toward customers? Perhaps he will have time to reflect on the fact that his boss is the customer, and when you abuse the boss, you likely do not retain employment. After all, without customers, why do they need him hanging around anyhow?

Then there is the whole thing about failing to make a sale, rather than taking care of the customer. Repeat business is not built on running off paying customers. You've said, and told him at the time, that you are a regular customer who visits often. That is precisely the sort of customer they don't want to lose.

Like somebody said elsewhere... which do you want? An employee who blows sales and angers loyal customers, or the money the customer brings into your store on a regular basis? When put into perspective, they did the right thing in getting rid of the kid, before he had a more profound impact on the bottom line.

Anyhow, that's how I'd look at the situation.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

Walmart is never really so cheap as it appears at face value. But hey, they are good for God and country. Assuming of course, the country in question is China!

Hear! Hear!

Look at it this way, you gave him a valuable lesson (and probably the other manager) about leaving their attitudes and personal prejudices at the door.

Last edited:

Jay Gatz

Howdy Amigo!
I disagree. The person who originally caused this problem did it to himself. He was unnecessarily abusive to you, the customer. He could have been helpful, but had an attitude. What can additional training do to compensate for a bad attitude toward customers? Perhaps he will have time to reflect on the fact that his boss is the customer, and when you abuse the boss, you likely do not retain employment. After all, without customers, why do they need him hanging around anyhow?

Then there is the whole thing about failing to make a sale, rather than taking care of the customer. Repeat business is not built on running off paying customers. You've said, and told him at the time, that you are a regular customer who visits often. That is precisely the sort of customer they don't want to lose.

Like somebody said elsewhere... which do you want? An employee who blows sales and angers loyal customers, or the money the customer brings into your store on a regular basis? When put into perspective, they did the right thing in getting rid of the kid, before he had a more profound impact on the bottom line.

Anyhow, that's how I'd look at the situation.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Or to look at it another way, there's now a job opening for an honest person in need of a job.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...believe unions are everywhere. In fact, they are not. They are few and far between these days, and haven't had any real power since Hoffa was a kid!...

Perhaps not in Colorado. I personally know people in NYC who have been pelted with stones by union thugs while the police observed to make sure things "didn't get out of hand." Why were they being pelted with stones? They dared to do their own construction work on their own property and not hire union labor. They also had to truck in their concrete from New Jersey because NYC plants would not sell to those who were not using union labor. I will admit this is a far cry from the union's glory days, though, and that unions are different and should not be generalized. I have been an IBEW union member. I have many friends who are members of various unions, including in NYC.

Here in Clark County, NV, the policeman's union is on record telling its members (taxpayer-paid police officers) not to cooperate with our new coroner's inquest procedures (taxpayer-representative-implemented procedures) after they shoot people (which is very common around here). They got too used to the rubber stamp procedure of the past and forgot who they still work for.

Back on topic: GvdM, I applaud you for actually taking the time to do something about the problem, not just getting mad about it, venting about it here, but actually DOING something in a respectful way.

Last edited:

Coach Ike

Sounds like they took care of half the problem. The bad attitude kid is gone. The manager that stopped the assistant manager should be retrained and demoted to assistant and move the assistant up to manager. That would get the message out pretty fast.

Phlip74

Don't quote what you don't know.

Howdy Folks!
The anti-union propaganda is right up there with anti-gun rhetoric, and unions end up becoming a straw man for political types to demonize. As a result, there are folks who believe unions are everywhere. In fact, they are not. They are few and far between these days, and haven't had any real power since Hoffa was a kid! When it comes to Walmart, they have not ever been, are not now, nor will ever be (if they have anything to say about it). As a consequence, most of their associates are part time, can't afford the health insurance available, are frequently told to go on the public dole (food stamps, etc) and the corporation enjoys corporate welfare (such as tax incentives and subsidies) that we ultimately pay for.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I worked for Wal-Mart for years before getting a job working for the government. I had their health insurance and It was way cheaper at Wal-mart than it is at the govnernment level. I pay $120/ every two weeks more than I paid at Wal-mart for the exact same coverage. The emplyees that work part time, most of them choose it, and Wal-mart never tells any one to get on state programs. This forum requires links to your information. I would like a link to this information about Wal Mart telling their employees to take hand outs. It does not exist it is media propoganda that people like you spread as truth when it is not truth.