• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Storage of daily firearm...or not?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The appropriateness of what you are doing depends on many factors, none of which have anything to do with the mechanical functioning of your handgun. Things such as: are there other people where you live; are they trained in the proper handling of the specific firearm; are there children present; are there visitors, and so many more. Additionally, just for the sake of clarification, are you unholstering when you go to sleep or as soon as you arrive at home?

Now to try to answer your specific questions. First, the less administrative handling of a firearm there is, the less chance of a discharge that was not purposefully planned and carried out. (That covers possible ADs as well as the more frequent NDs.) Second, just as magazine springs neither "take a set" nor "wear out" from having rounds compressing them (it's the compression/extension cycling that does them in) your other springs will not wear out by just sitting there.

Putting your handgun on the nightstand in Condition #-whatever (unloaded meaning no magazine inserted) means you will have to perform the loading and cocking actions under both stress and (probably) in the dark if you need it for self defense purposes. Fine motor skills are not done optimally in either state, and even less so when both situations are present.

I am not going to tell you how to handle your firearm - that's a decision every person must make for themself. But now you have some information that may help you reach your own decision.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
As far as anyone in my house, there are no children and no immediate danger so I can freely leave it out without worry. I unholster my gun once im in my house and as i said set it on my nightstand. So if it is the general concesus that leaving my gun loaded with one in the chamber and the hammer back at all times is no different as far as stress on the mechanism then that is how I would like to leave it.

One response from one guy with no credentials that would not mean anything even if I had them is certainly not a "general consensus".

However, it seems you have considered the points I made and made your decision. I applaud you for that, as opposed to waiting around for everybody else to tell you what you should do.

I'm going to close with a rhetorical question: Why do you disarm yourself once you enter your house? (Since that was a rhetorical question, if you feel you really must respond I'd prefer you discuss it via PM rather than bore everybody else. Not saying you must go that route, just expressing my preference.)

stay safe.

sraacke

My gun stays holstered at all times unless I'm cleaning it or training with it. When I get home and hed to bed I unbuckle the pistol belt and place it next to the bed. The holster, spare mag case et all, stays on the belt. When I get up and get dressed I pick up the belt, put it on and I'm ready for another day.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would say it is okay to have it cocked and locked all the time. I would recommend keeping it on your person if you are going to be moving about the house. Worst possible situation is someone enters your house and you are in another room, bad guy finds the gun first......

Outdoorsman1

I know this only address's part of the OP questions but I also leave my firearm holstered (open carried) until I go to bed, then it goes on the nightstand withn reach, or if I am in the bathroom, then the firearm comes out of the holster and when I am finished it goes back in. If I am in the shower, it is within easy reach on the bathroom vanitey.... Always fully loaded with a round in the chamber (12+1). It is an XD-40 so the hammer question does not apply to me, but as I also live alone without fear of anyone handling it but me so fully loaded 27/7.

Outdoorsman1

Gunslinger

Ive read so many different opinions on this topic and havent asked anyone on these boards here..

So I like most I assume, carry cocked, locked & one in the chamber 24/7.
When I come home I always put my firearm (Springfield 1911 GI Champion) on a soft fabric pad on my nightstand and thats it, stays next to my bed if i'm at home and goes right in my holster when I leave the house.
I hear some people say this is bad because leaving the gun cocked all the time will cause the spring to deteriorate faster and puts more stress on the gun.
So in anyones opinion, is it OK to leave my gun coked and ready to go with the safety on when im at home and basically have it in the state all the time, or should I take out the ammo and magazine and have the hammer down and stored in the case i bought it in and put in my magazine and cock it everytime i have to leave the house...? Thanks for any input!

BS on any spring being quicker to deteriorate. They are intended to be cocked and locked at 'all' times. You put more stress when you move a spring--cocking, decocking, etc., than if it's in constant state. Just change all springs out about 3000 rounds and recycle your ammunition periodically. The gun will last 10 lifetimes with proper care.