• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms Prohibited in Olympic National Park?

Kryteon

I was at the Staircase Ranger Station in the Olympic National Forest this weekend (7/29/11) getting a backcountry permit. On the Ranger Station window just below a picture of a handgun with the "internation" red slash thru it was a sign saying "Firearms Prohibited" ... according to "18 USC 930 (a)". For those unfamiliar, this is the trailhead at the South fork of the Skokomish river near Lake Cushman and is a Federal campground.

The Ranger issuing the permits (Bruce .. something was his name), was also asking people if they had any firearms.

I thought National Parks permitted firearms now. (I'm attempting to attache a picture of the sign, but I'm having trouble posting it).

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Kryteon

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 2,980

Trigger Dr

Firearms are permitted in the park but not in the buildings owned and occupied by park service. Exception being public rest rooms that are not attached to a main building.

Kryteon

Firearms are permitted in the park but not in the buildings owned and occupied by park service. Exception being public rest rooms that are not attached to a main building.

Ahhh.. that makes sense. The way it was posted leaves the impression that firearms aren't allowed in the Park, (which is probably the intent).

Thanks Trigger!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I ran into the same signage this weekend at Mt Rainer national park. Additionally, they had other signs at the start of each hiking trail. I knew the law and had a printout so I was not too concerned. Open carried the whole day there including dinner at the national park inn.

As previously mentioned, you can carry in the park (as of Feb, 2010) just not in buildings owned/leased by government and have government employees in them. WWW.nps.gov has firearm policy posted which is fairly clear. Direct link: http://www.nps.gov/mora/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

Lante

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
My Mr Rainer National Park trip detailed here (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?66458-South-Sound-OC-Report........&p=1585120&viewfull=1#post1585120)

Your sign looks like mine:
MtRainerNoFirearms.jpg

Additionally, we should probably contact the NPS regarding signage posted at each trailhead and scenic viewing pullouts... Anyone have contact information for regional NPS?

Edit: I used the online contact form, but if anyone has direct contact information for Regional NPS I would rather send direct mail.

Last edited:

hermannr

I have a problem with their understanding of what is "federal facility" and what is not. What is exempt is a federal court house, within so many feet of the courtroom amd it's adjcent areas.

18 USC 930 (a) Except as provided in subsection (d).

Subsection (d): (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons
in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Ross Lake National Wildlife refuge has always been open to hunting...how are they going to prevent you from carrying any lawful fire arm that could be used to hunt with?

Secondly, especially in WA, it is a lawful purpose to carry an exposed or concealed handgun specifically for the purpose of self protection while recreating. No license required.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
NPS Response

I used the online contact form, but if anyone has direct contact information for Regional NPS I would rather send direct mail.

I recieved the following email back from the Chief NPS Ranger.

Chuck Young (NPS Chief Ranger) said:
Mr. _____________,

I was forwarded the following message that you had sent to Mount Rainier
National Park regarding firearms regulations.

The revised laws pertaining to firearms possession in National Parks came
into effect on February 22, 2010. The park immediately began covering the
"no firearms" symbols on the existing regulations signs with tape as a
temporary fix. Unfortunately, some of the tape has been removed by
visitors, or has fallen off due to the harsh environmental conditions. The
park also ordered new trail head regulations signs to take the new law into
account. These signs arrived too late in the 2010 season to post, but we
have been changing out trail head signs this spring, as conditions (snow)
have allowed. We hope to have the project completed by the Fall.

Please feel free to contact me if you'd like further information on these
signs or the regulations.

Thank you.

R. Chuck Young
Chief Ranger
Mount Rainier National Park
55210 238th Ave. East
Ashford, WA 98304-9751
(360) 569-6612 (off)
(360) 569-2164 (fax)
(253)-389-4138 (cell)

amlevin

I recieved the following email back from the Chief NPS Ranger.

Smells like BS to me. Where's the "tape residue" on the picture of the sign posted earlier in this thread? I don't know about the tape the Park Service uses but anytime I put duct tape on anything that's out in the weather, after a few weeks the only thing that comes off is the backing. The adhesive stays on almost forever. That sign sure looked pristine to me. In fact, almost new.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Smells like BS to me. Where's the "tape residue" on the picture of the sign posted earlier in this thread? I don't know about the tape the Park Service uses but anytime I put duct tape on anything that's out in the weather, after a few weeks the only thing that comes off is the backing. The adhesive stays on almost forever. That sign sure looked pristine to me. In fact, almost new.

The picture posted earlier is actually not the signs in question. However, I thought this too shortly after I read his reply. There was no residue on any of the signs I saw, none of them appeared to have ever had tape on them. I am not going to call him out on it, I just want the signs fixed. Perhaps they used electrical tape or scotch tape :p

Either way, I replied and asked for tighter time lines also that any sign with firearm symbols not yet replaced be covered again with tape until they can all be replaced. The mail had both Chief Rangers and the Superintendent on the to line.

jt59

Regardless, the signs carry no weight

Confusion aside, and the potential to a tourist making a MWAG report to a Ranger (who would presumably educate the person)......here is some clarification:

David Barna, chief of public affairs for the National Park Service, said the laws are now the same inside and outside of the park gates.

"Firearms will be prohibited in visitors' centers and park rangers' offices because of a separate law banning guns in buildings where federal employees work. Nothing would prohibit the carrying of weapons into hotels, restaurants and other facilities in the parks operated by private companies."

"The law doesn't change when you enter a park," Barna said. "What you see in the parks shouldn't be any different than what you see outside the park."

There is lots of information on the internet regarding this.... http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/guns-n...allowed-yellowstone-yosemite/story?id=9910171