• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Hike?

The Big Dog

I hike and OC in the Issaquah Alps and the North Bend area almost every weekend, both Saturday and Sunday on some weekends. I have done lots of miles on them trails and have yet to see anyone OC besides myself. Many have noticed my gun, some have commented and only one objected. (she was wacky, a true nut job) I did meet and EX cop that did not OC but had a gun in his backpack for his protection.

As far as going for an OC group hike.......I would be interested in entertaining the idea depending on location and start time…...

Px4er

I hike and OC in the Issaquah Alps and the North Bend area almost every weekend, both Saturday and Sunday on some weekends. I have done lots of miles on them trails and have yet to see anyone OC besides myself. Many have noticed my gun, some have commented and only one objected. (she was wacky, a true nut job) I did meet and EX cop that did not OC but had a gun in his backpack for his protection.

As far as going for an OC group hike.......I would be interested in entertaining the idea depending on location and start time…...

Mount Si's up there isn't it? Idk if my body can handle Si yet though. :p

hermannr

Green, it is my understanding that your idea is correct, if there is an "adult" with you. I read that from 9.41.5(b) and you are at least 14. Key word "or"...

OrangeIsTrouble

Green, it is my understanding that your idea is correct, if there is an "adult" with you. I read that from 9.41.5(b) and you are at least 14. Key word "or"...

Maybe someone could tag along while someone goes snooping around for bears...one doesn't need to be hunting at all...one could also learn a great deal from the person hunting. That is, if the person hunting is friendly enough. :idea:

Who knew the word "or" could mean so much. ;)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Guessing thats the day you turn 18? ;) I got a great little place for hiking here.

lalalalalala

RCW 9.41.042

There's a gem in here ^

And you could always try an interesting way;
RCW 9.41.050-RCW 9.41.060

Any person.....hmmm...

But that's just what I read. :cool:

Maybe message 1245A Defender.

I would also recommend you read the STATE V SIEYES as it deals with a 17yo in possession....

Tellingly Sieyes fails to provide convincing authority supporting an original meaning of the Second Amendment, which would grant all children an unfettered right to bear arms.   In fact during oral argument Sieyes's counsel conceded the opposite.   Furthermore Sieyes makes no adequate argument specific to the facts of this case that a 17-year-old's Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms has been violated by this statute.[SUP]21[/SUP]  Similarly Sieyes mentions the statute restricting children from possessing firearms violates his right to bear arms under article I, section 24, but cites no authority and makes no argument for this proposition.[SUP]22[/SUP]  Sieyes's objection may be that he was 17 years old at the time of his arrest, and his right to bear arms should be equal to that of an 18-year-old's, but his arguments fail to challenge the statutory age limit set by this statute.   In sum appellant offers no convincing authority supporting his argument that Washington's limit on childhood firearm possession violates the United States or Washington Constitutions.   Accordingly we keep our powder dry on this issue for another day.

Young people continued to bear arms for this country through the Civil War, a conflict in which close to half a million boys aged 16 years old and younger-many of whom lied about their age in order to enlist-served with distinction.[SUP]3[/SUP]  One boy soldier, Willie Johnston, earned the Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism demonstrated when he was only 11 years old.[SUP]4[/SUP]  Johnston was not alone in his precocious valor:  roughly 65 other juvenile soldiers earned the Medal of Honor during the Civil War.[SUP]5[/SUP]These and the other brave boys and young men who served in the Civil War, like their compatriots almost a century earlier, undeniably enjoyed full entitlement to all of the fundamental rights for which they fought and died, including the right to keep and bear arms.   State laws that infringe or impair such a right thus merit strict scrutiny [SUP]6[/SUP] or, at a minimum, intermediate scrutiny.

And it goes on to talk about more underage fundamental rights.

Last edited:

The Big Dog

Little Mt. Si, Twin Falls and The Ledge at Rattlesnake Lake are all in the North Bend area within a few miles of each other. All three are about 4 miles out and back, not too difficult even for the out of shape hiker with a few stops along the trail. Trailhead parking can be a problem if you don't get an early start, I try to start by 9 to 9:30 AM and have good luck. When I return 3 to 4 hours later the parking lots are often full with over flow parking on the sides of the road.

Parking at many trail heads will require the "Discover Pass", Little Mt. Si and Twin Fall for certain. ($30.00 per year or $10.00 per day) I just hiked The Ledge last weekend and did not notice if the Discover Pass was required, I wasn't really looking as I already have the year pass.

Another nice option would be Cougar Mountain starting from the Red Town trailhead by New Castle or the Anti Aircraft trailhead a few miles from Red Town. Lots of trails to choose from and a hike can be a large loop to avoid going in and out on the same trail.

sudden valley gunner

lalalalalala

RCW 9.41.042

There's a gem in here ^

And you could always try an interesting way;
RCW 9.41.050-RCW 9.41.060

Any person.....hmmm...

But that's just what I read. :cool:

Maybe message 1245A Defender.

It's the way I read it too. Even had a debate about it with "pro gun" article writer about it who refused to acknowledge that it expanded beyond long guns.

Px4er

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

This is my only choice. Therefore, fishing at Redondo and hiking are my only means of freedom haha. C'mon guys. Whip your butts into shape.

Actually.. "is traveling to or from"

Does that mean I can "stop" by the store on my way from the range..? :D

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

Actually.. "is traveling to or from"

Does that mean I can "stop" by the store on my way from the range..? :D

I've always thought about this, but making my own judgments, I didn't feel like pushing it too far strolling into a bunch of stores on the way. Something necessary like pumping gas maybe.

Unless of course I have the store owners permission to hike inside the store up and down the aisles hunting for deals. :p

But most importantly, it means you can carry loaded on your person inside a vehicle, which to me is the best benefit.

Px4er

I've always thought about this, but making my own judgments, I didn't feel like pushing it too far strolling into a bunch of stores on the way. Something necessary like pumping gas maybe.

Unless of course I have the store owners permission to hike inside the store up and down the aisles hunting for deals. :p

But most importantly, it means you can carry loaded on your person inside a vehicle, which to me is the best benefit.

I thought you still had the unload? Does it exempt that? I don't think so right.