Thread: Sumpter township cpl ordinance

Sumpter township cpl ordinance

A friend at work just told me he read in the local newsletter that sumpter township posted than residents who move to the township that had CPLs issued elsewhere must take their cpl in to have it copied and registered locally, anyone ever heard of this? I am gonna have him try and get me the paper he read it in. There is no state law that requires this is there? If not preemption would apply if I am not mistaken.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by choover View Post
    A friend at work just told me he read in the local newsletter that sumpter township posted than residents who move to the township that had CPLs issued elsewhere must take their cpl in to have it copied and registered locally, anyone ever heard of this? I am gonna have him try and get me the paper he read it in. There is no state law that requires this is there? If not preemption would apply if I am not mistaken.
    That would be illegal under 123.1102. Although I suspect it's an untrue rumor.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

This is false.

I talked to the township Clerk and Sgt. Luke at the Township PD, and both of them dispelled the rumor. However, if there is such a paper with such information in its contents, the Sgt. would like to see it.

Awesome, ill see what I can find, hopefully he still has the article. Ive known the guy 15 years and he is very capable of very seriously misunderstanding something he read so I sent him a text asking him to locate the paper for me. If he cant ill try to find out what paper and when abouts he read it and see if I cant get a copy elsewhere if he doesnt have one.
    Last edited by choover; 08-02-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choover View Post
    Ive known the guy 15 years and he is very capable of very seriously misunderstanding something he read . . .
    If you know someone has trouble with distorting things they read, why not verify before making a post here?
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    This is false.

I talked to the township Clerk and Sgt. Luke at the Township PD, and both of them dispelled the rumor. However, if there is such a paper with such information in its contents, the Sgt. would like to see it.
    Although I generally advocate NOT talking to the police, in this instance it probably was the proper thing to do. Do you think the chief would be willing to pen a letter stating what he/she told you? I don't think that there is any requirement that this be done, but if one person believed such was the case, there may be others who also think it is policy.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Although I generally advocate NOT talking to the police, in this instance it probably was the proper thing to do. Do you think the chief would be willing to pen a letter stating what he/she told you? I don't think that there is any requirement that this be done, but if one person believed such was the case, there may be others who also think it is policy.
    The clerk was the first to verify that the rumor was false. She said the supervisors have never mentioned anything in their meetings about this type of requirement. She then said to call the PD and find out what they have to say. Ill shoot him an email and see what I can get out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    If you know someone has trouble with distorting things they read, why not verify before making a post here?
    I didn't come on here citing it as fact I came on here saying it was something I heard, I came on here with it because this has become the best place I know to verify if something is true or false.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I believe he may have made a error in what he read but I also believe he had to have read something along the lines. He came at me with it in the context of warning me basically. I just moves into Sumpter and he stopped me on my way out of work today with a " Hey this was posted in the paper blah blah new ordinance ect make sure you go take your CPL up to the city ect " I hope I can track down what paper article he is talking about, I wont see him again until 3am

Reading and comprehension are quite often not one and the same.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."