• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sumpter township cpl ordinance

choover

A friend at work just told me he read in the local newsletter that sumpter township posted than residents who move to the township that had CPLs issued elsewhere must take their cpl in to have it copied and registered locally, anyone ever heard of this? I am gonna have him try and get me the paper he read it in. There is no state law that requires this is there? If not preemption would apply if I am not mistaken.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
A friend at work just told me he read in the local newsletter that sumpter township posted than residents who move to the township that had CPLs issued elsewhere must take their cpl in to have it copied and registered locally, anyone ever heard of this? I am gonna have him try and get me the paper he read it in. There is no state law that requires this is there? If not preemption would apply if I am not mistaken.

That would be illegal under 123.1102. Although I suspect it's an untrue rumor.

Tucker6900

This is false.

I talked to the township Clerk and Sgt. Luke at the Township PD, and both of them dispelled the rumor. However, if there is such a paper with such information in its contents, the Sgt. would like to see it.

choover

Awesome, ill see what I can find, hopefully he still has the article. Ive known the guy 15 years and he is very capable of very seriously misunderstanding something he read so I sent him a text asking him to locate the paper for me. If he cant ill try to find out what paper and when abouts he read it and see if I cant get a copy elsewhere if he doesnt have one.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
This is false.

I talked to the township Clerk and Sgt. Luke at the Township PD, and both of them dispelled the rumor. However, if there is such a paper with such information in its contents, the Sgt. would like to see it.

Although I generally advocate NOT talking to the police, in this instance it probably was the proper thing to do. Do you think the chief would be willing to pen a letter stating what he/she told you? I don't think that there is any requirement that this be done, but if one person believed such was the case, there may be others who also think it is policy.

Tucker6900

Although I generally advocate NOT talking to the police, in this instance it probably was the proper thing to do. Do you think the chief would be willing to pen a letter stating what he/she told you? I don't think that there is any requirement that this be done, but if one person believed such was the case, there may be others who also think it is policy.

The clerk was the first to verify that the rumor was false. She said the supervisors have never mentioned anything in their meetings about this type of requirement. She then said to call the PD and find out what they have to say. Ill shoot him an email and see what I can get out of him.

choover

If you know someone has trouble with distorting things they read, why not verify before making a post here?

I didn't come on here citing it as fact I came on here saying it was something I heard, I came on here with it because this has become the best place I know to verify if something is true or false.

choover

I believe he may have made a error in what he read but I also believe he had to have read something along the lines. He came at me with it in the context of warning me basically. I just moves into Sumpter and he stopped me on my way out of work today with a " Hey this was posted in the paper blah blah new ordinance ect make sure you go take your CPL up to the city ect " I hope I can track down what paper article he is talking about, I wont see him again until 3am