• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm writng a story on concealed carry

shernandez

Hi All!

I'm writing a story for the Door County Advocate on concealed carry and I was hoping that those of you in Door County would be willing to talk with me or point me toward some Door County sources that I could include in my story. Feel free to email me at svhernande@doorcountyadvocate.com or call me at (920) 743-3321 ext. 112 for more information. My deadline is the Aug. 10. Thanks ahead of time.

Samantha

Interceptor_Knight

It would be worth while to mention in your story the communities which still have laws on their books which are void because of the State preemption such as Washington Island and its prohibition of firearms in public...

shernandez

It would be worth while to mention in your story the communities which still have laws on their books which are void because of the State preemption such as Washington Island and its prohibition of firearms in public...
I'll look into that. Since state law supersedes local laws I'm not sure if that will be an issue. I will keep it in mind though.

GreenCountyPete

I think it would be worth pointing out to employers that if they allow employees to carry the company can't be held liable, however it does not say that they can't be held liable if they don't allow carry and something does happen.

as an example say a pizza delivery driver , is issued a permit and carries when not at work but his employer doesn't allow it , he is mugged and beaten , the driver could hold liable the company for not allowing him reasonable measures to protect him or her self.

however if they allow carry , and the driver shoots the attacker , the pizza company can not be held liable int he death of the attacker.

this is what i took from reading it. when it says that the employer will not be held liable if they allow employees to carry , but it doesn't spell that out in the reverse then the protection would appear to be one way.

shernandez

I think it would be worth pointing out to employers that if they allow employees to carry the company can't be held liable, however it does not say that they can't be held liable if they don't allow carry and something does happen.

as an example say a pizza delivery driver , is issued a permit and carries when not at work but his employer doesn't allow it , he is mugged and beaten , the driver could hold liable the company for not allowing him reasonable measures to protect him or her self.

however if they allow carry , and the driver shoots the attacker , the pizza company can not be held liable int he death of the attacker.

this is what i took from reading it. when it says that the employer will not be held liable if they allow employees to carry , but it doesn't spell that out in the reverse then the protection would appear to be one way.

that is an interesting point. Thanks for the input.

jpm84092

Hi Samantha,

I do hope you will post a link to your story when it is published.

I am an ex-citizen of Wisconsin and now live in Utah, but visit WI about twice per year. I am also a State of Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor and have taught dozens of my former friends and neighbors the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Course. Many of them now have the UT non-resident permit which gives them the right to carry in about 30 states (3/5 of the USA). Perhaps one angle your article could examine is why many WI Citizens have non-resident permits, mostly the UT permit. And, how many more are anxious to get a broad-coverage non-resident permit now that WI is going to be a "Shall Issue" concealed carry permit state. (The whimpy, or as McX puts it, "streamlined" Wisconsin training requirements are well below the standards of many other states so while it is likely that WI will recognize nearly all other permits, the reverse will not be true.)

Jim

shernandez

Hi Samantha,

I do hope you will post a link to your story when it is published.

I am an ex-citizen of Wisconsin and now live in Utah, but visit WI about twice per year. I am also a State of Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor and have taught dozens of my former friends and neighbors the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Course. Many of them now have the UT non-resident permit which gives them the right to carry in about 30 states (3/5 of the USA). Perhaps one angle your article could examine is why many WI Citizens have non-resident permits, mostly the UT permit. And, how many more are anxious to get a broad-coverage non-resident permit now that WI is going to be a "Shall Issue" concealed carry permit state. (The whimpy, or as McX puts it, "streamlined" Wisconsin training requirements are well below the standards of many other states so while it is likely that WI will recognize nearly all other permits, the reverse will not be true.)

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I love your profile picture by the way. I had been wondering whether all permits held the same legal weight (for lack of a better phrase) from state to state.

jpm84092

Thanks, Jim. I love your profile picture by the way. I had been wondering whether all permits held the same legal weight (for lack of a better phrase) from state to state.

Hello Samantha,

If I may, here is a quick course:

A quick trip to www.handgunlaw.us will give you a good picture of which states are "may issue" (mostly political issue or insanely difficult requirements) and "shall issue" (must issue to any qualified citizen), which states only honor "home state" permits (CO, MI, SC, NH, ME, FL) and a state by state accounting of whose permits each state honors and which states honor that state's permit and whether or not a given state honors non-resident permits. This site will also let you compile a list of states that only issue to residents (example; WI, MN, CO, etc.) You will also learn what each state requires for a permit. I have found this to be a very good source as the webmasters provide links to the permit issuing authority in each State.

The UT, MN, FL, and AZ permits are the most widely accepted, and thus most popular, but MN does not issue to non-residents. UT, FL, and AZ will issue to non-residents and permits can be applied for by mail. FL and AZ require formal firearms training including range time. UT requires firearms familiarity using real firearms and dummy ammunition, but no range qualification. The UT permit is probably the easiest to get and cheapest to renew ($15). A google search will take you to a New York Times article about a PA citizen with a PA permit who also got a UT permit to expand his ability to carry while traveling. The UT permit is often described as the most desired by non-residents (or at least the most desired by the man interviewed by the New York Times).

There are two "right denied" states; Wisconsin and Illinois. VT does not issue permits, but any citizen of any state can carry concealed in VT. There are 10 "may issue" states. Thus, there are 37 "shall issue" states + VT. On November 1, 2011, Wisconsin will join the ranks of "shall issue" states, leaving Illinois the only remaining "right denied" state. Please note that Alabama is "may issue" but most counties behave as "shall issue". Thus, on November 1, 2011, there will effectively be 1 right denied state, 9 true may issue states, and 39 shall issue states (if you count AL in the "shall issue" category) + VT which does not issue or require permits to carry a concealed firearm. The States of Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona do not require a concealed firearm permit for any citizen of any state to carry a concealed firearm. Wyoming will allow residents of Wyoming to carry a concealed firearm without a permit, but non-residents must have a permit that is honored by Wyoming. (Many such non-residents choose the UT permit.)

I hope this information is useful to you. (And thanks for the compliment with respect to the "Yellow Cat With The M-4".)

shernandez

Hello Samantha,

If I may, here is a quick course:

A quick trip to www.handgunlaw.us will give you a good picture of which states are "may issue" (mostly political issue or insanely difficult requirements) and "shall issue" (must issue to any qualified citizen), which states only honor "home state" permits (CO, MI, SC, NH, ME, FL) and a state by state accounting of whose permits each state honors and which states honor that state's permit and whether or not a given state honors non-resident permits. This site will also let you compile a list of states that only issue to residents (example; WI, MN, CO, etc.) You will also learn what each state requires for a permit. I have found this to be a very good source as the webmasters provide links to the permit issuing authority in each State.

The UT, MN, FL, and AZ permits are the most widely accepted, and thus most popular, but MN does not issue to non-residents. UT, FL, and AZ will issue to non-residents and permits can be applied for by mail. FL and AZ require formal firearms training including range time. UT requires firearms familiarity using real firearms and dummy ammunition, but no range qualification. The UT permit is probably the easiest to get and cheapest to renew ($15). A google search will take you to a New York Times article about a PA citizen with a PA permit who also got a UT permit to expand his ability to carry while traveling. The UT permit is often described as the most desired by non-residents (or at least the most desired by the man interviewed by the New York Times).

There are two "right denied" states; Wisconsin and Illinois. VT does not issue permits, but any citizen of any state can carry concealed in VT. There are 10 "may issue" states. Thus, there are 37 "shall issue" states + VT. On November 1, 2011, Wisconsin will join the ranks of "shall issue" states, leaving Illinois the only remaining "right denied" state. Please note that Alabama is "may issue" but most counties behave as "shall issue". Thus, on November 1, 2011, there will effectively be 1 right denied state, 9 true may issue states, and 39 shall issue states (if you count AL in the "shall issue" category) + VT which does not issue or require permits to carry a concealed firearm. The States of Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona do not require a concealed firearm permit for any citizen of any state to carry a concealed firearm. Wyoming will allow residents of Wyoming to carry a concealed firearm without a permit, but non-residents must have a permit that is honored by Wyoming. (Many such non-residents choose the UT permit.)

I hope this information is useful to you. (And thanks for the compliment with respect to the "Yellow Cat With The M-4".)
Thanks for the additional info. There is so much to learn! I appreciate everyone taking the time to give their input and knowledge (and links to more knowledge).
(Jim, somewhere I have a picture of a raptor riding a great white shark while holding a missile launcher.)