• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm writng a story on concealed carry

MKEgal

deadlifter said:
Maybe a reference to the numerous sheriffs, and DA's in WI who agree with CC as opposed to the ones like in Milwaukee and Madison who oppose it?
protias said:
The sheriffs agree with it, the police chiefs do not.
Yeah, what he said.
I was at the Madison hearing on the permit bill that was merged (to put it politely) into SB93 (the Constitutional Carry bill). The people I rode over with, & sat with, were astonished when Milwaukee County Sheriff Clarke spoke in FAVOR of armed law-abiding citizens.
(Of course, he also wants a bunch of restrictions, including making carrying w/o a permit a felony, but it's a start.)

Milwaukee Police Chief Flynn is & has long been against lawfully-armed citizens. Of course, he's in bed with Mayor Barrett (who is a nice guy, but thinks wrongly on some issues), so will back Barrett's Mayors Against Guns agenda.

Neither of them is able to understand the difference between me defending myself from a home invader & the criminal breaking into my home trying to harm me. (Or a parallel situation out in public.)

shernandez said:
I had been wondering whether all permits held the same legal weight (for lack of a better phrase) from state to state.
LOL!
We keep working toward that, but it's a ways off.
It'd be nice if my right to self-protection were recognized in all states & territories just like my right to worship (or speak, or remain silent when questioned by police, or have a jury trial, or any other right) is.
Or heck, even if carry permits were recognized like driving permits & rules of the road.

Imagine if, when driving from WI to IN, the driving rules changed every time you crossed a state boundry. (Or worse, a county or city boundry! :eek:)

In WI, you can only drive forward & on the right side of the road, & you have to be 18 to get a license, with a note from your parents saying they think you're an OK driver.

In IL, you must drive backward on the right side of the road & you have to be 50 to get a license (good for 1 year), after passing the same driving test required of Secret Service agents. Anyone who wants to stop for more than gas/potty while driving in the state must have an IL driver's license, & they're only issued to IL residents.

And in IN, you must drive forward but on the left side of the road. You can get a license at 16, & it's good for life.

That's kind of how screwed-up gun-related laws are.

Last edited:

shernandez

LOL!
We keep working toward that, but it's a ways off.
It'd be nice if my right to self-protection were recognized in all states & territories just like my right to worship (or speak, or remain silent when questioned by police, or have a jury trial, or any other right) is.
Or heck, even if carry permits were recognized like driving permits & rules of the road.

Imagine if, when driving from WI to IN, the driving rules changed every time you crossed a state boundry. (Or worse, a county or city boundry! :eek:)

In WI, you can only drive forward & on the right side of the road, & you have to be 18 to get a license, after showing proof that your parents think you're an OK driver.

In IL, you must drive backward on the right side of the road & you have to be 50 to get a license (good for 1 year), after passing the same driving test required of Secret Service agents.

And in IN, you must drive forward but on the left side of the road. You can get a license at 16, & it's good for life.

That's kind of how screwed-up gun-related laws are.

Nice to see that you're still on the board MKEgirl. Thanks for the input. And your analogy of driving seems to fit the situation.

Nascar24Glock

Hello Samantha,

If I may, here is a quick course:

A quick trip to www.handgunlaw.us will give you a good picture of which states are "may issue" (mostly political issue or insanely difficult requirements) and "shall issue" (must issue to any qualified citizen), which states only honor "home state" permits (CO, MI, SC, NH, ME, FL) and a state by state accounting of whose permits each state honors and which states honor that state's permit and whether or not a given state honors non-resident permits. This site will also let you compile a list of states that only issue to residents (example; WI, MN, CO, etc.) You will also learn what each state requires for a permit. I have found this to be a very good source as the webmasters provide links to the permit issuing authority in each State.

The UT, MN, FL, and AZ permits are the most widely accepted, and thus most popular, but MN does not issue to non-residents. UT, FL, and AZ will issue to non-residents and permits can be applied for by mail. FL and AZ require formal firearms training including range time. UT requires firearms familiarity using real firearms and dummy ammunition, but no range qualification. The UT permit is probably the easiest to get and cheapest to renew ($15). A google search will take you to a New York Times article about a PA citizen with a PA permit who also got a UT permit to expand his ability to carry while traveling. The UT permit is often described as the most desired by non-residents (or at least the most desired by the man interviewed by the New York Times).

There are two "right denied" states; Wisconsin and Illinois. VT does not issue permits, but any citizen of any state can carry concealed in VT. There are 10 "may issue" states. Thus, there are 37 "shall issue" states + VT. On November 1, 2011, Wisconsin will join the ranks of "shall issue" states, leaving Illinois the only remaining "right denied" state. Please note that Alabama is "may issue" but most counties behave as "shall issue". Thus, on November 1, 2011, there will effectively be 1 right denied state, 9 true may issue states, and 39 shall issue states (if you count AL in the "shall issue" category) + VT which does not issue or require permits to carry a concealed firearm. The States of Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona do not require a concealed firearm permit for any citizen of any state to carry a concealed firearm. Wyoming will allow residents of Wyoming to carry a concealed firearm without a permit, but non-residents must have a permit that is honored by Wyoming. (Many such non-residents choose the UT permit.)

I hope this information is useful to you. (And thanks for the compliment with respect to the "Yellow Cat With The M-4".)

A couple of small things to add to that info. First, Connecticut is considered to be similar to Alabama with their may issue law (if I understand it right, if the local issuing officer denies it, then you can appeal it to a court who MUST issue it unless there's good cause for denial; it adds red tape, but it still acts mostly as a shall issue state). Rhode Island is both a shall issue state and a may issue state. Permits issued by local sheriffs (or RI's equivalent) are shall issue and for only concealed carry. Permits issued by the attorney general are may issue and are good for both open and concealed carry. Unfortunately, the local sheriffs tend to get around the "shall issue" part by simply refusing to accept applications and directing people to apply to the AG. As a result, RI is exactly the opposite of AL and CT; it is a shall issue state that operates as a may issue state.

Second, the part about Vermont, Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming not requiring a permit for concealed carry (in WY, non-residents still need one) is correct. However, there is one small thing to note. Those in the age 18-20 group can carry concealed or open in Vermont, but must carry openly and cannot carry concealed in AK, AZ, or WY. Speaking of this, the "age 18-20" gun law oddities might be another thing you could talk about in your story. Those in this age group cannot purchase a handgun from an FFL (i.e., a licensed gun dealer), but can purchase one from a private seller or receive on as a gift as long as the state law doesn't prohibit it. They also cannot purchase "handgun ammunition" from licensed sellers, even though many ammunition types (.22 LR, 9mm, etc.) are used in both handguns and long guns (for that matter, many ammunition sellers will simply ask "is this for a handgun or a long gun?", without doing anything to verify it). Also, nearly all states will not give a concealed carry permit to those age 18-20. If I remember correctly, there are only six who will give them unconditionally to those age 18-20: Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Indiana, New Hampshire, and Maine (plus Vermont, which again doesn't issue permits and doesn't require them either). A few more will issue them to those 18-20 under certain circumstances (e.g., Texas will issue them to members of the military, Iowa will issue them to those who use guns as part of their job, and Colorado will issue them on a may issue basis if the person can demonstrate a need).

Hope that added info helps. Good luck on your story.

shernandez

A couple of small things to add to that info. First, Connecticut is considered to be similar to Alabama with their may issue law (if I understand it right, if the local issuing officer denies it, then you can appeal it to a court who MUST issue it unless there's good cause for denial; it adds red tape, but it still acts mostly as a shall issue state). Rhode Island is both a shall issue state and a may issue state. Permits issued by local sheriffs (or RI's equivalent) are shall issue and for only concealed carry. Permits issued by the attorney general are may issue and are good for both open and concealed carry. Unfortunately, the local sheriffs tend to get around the "shall issue" part by simply refusing to accept applications and directing people to apply to the AG. As a result, RI is exactly the opposite of AL and CT; it is a shall issue state that operates as a may issue state.

Second, the part about Vermont, Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming not requiring a permit for concealed carry (in WY, non-residents still need one) is correct. However, there is one small thing to note. Those in the age 18-20 group can carry concealed or open in Vermont, but must carry openly and cannot carry concealed in AK, AZ, or WY. Speaking of this, the "age 18-20" gun law oddities might be another thing you could talk about in your story. Those in this age group cannot purchase a handgun from an FFL (i.e., a licensed gun dealer), but can purchase one from a private seller or receive on as a gift as long as the state law doesn't prohibit it. They also cannot purchase "handgun ammunition" from licensed sellers, even though many ammunition types (.22 LR, 9mm, etc.) are used in both handguns and long guns (for that matter, many ammunition sellers will simply ask "is this for a handgun or a long gun?", without doing anything to verify it). Also, nearly all states will not give a concealed carry permit to those age 18-20. If I remember correctly, there are only six who will give them unconditionally to those age 18-20: Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Indiana, New Hampshire, and Maine (plus Vermont, which again doesn't issue permits and doesn't require them either). A few more will issue them to those 18-20 under certain circumstances (e.g., Texas will issue them to members of the military, Iowa will issue them to those who use guns as part of their job, and Colorado will issue them on a may issue basis if the person can demonstrate a need).

Hope that added info helps. Good luck on your story.
Thanks!

opusd2

Hi.

I'm from Door and having once lived out West with a CCW permit, I am happy to see it finally become law here. My experience is that it doesn't cause the streets to run red with blood, but rather the opposite. There is more crime in DC than where I used to live, in a city right on the I-25 corridor where people were still cordial and friendly, unfortunately it's not exactly that around Door and it's getting worse. Not only are the people less friendly now, but so are the wild animals which are increasing in number and which can be heard calling out at night. Being able to arm and protect yourself won't have any intelligent effects on the animals, but for those people out there wanting to do harm it should.

The biggest problem we have here is that law enforcement holds a mentality that only accepts their own kind with self protection. In fact, I have an LEO neighbor across from me in the country that will target shoot all hours of the day, but when I want to OC during the day I get a slow drive by in the cruiser. I imagine it's meant to intimidate since it's done so often and so blatantly, but with it being legal I am getting tired of it.

I'm sure most people who have travelled have gone through an area, or hold a favorite vacation place that is within a CC area and have never felt frightened by that fact nor have they given it a thought in most cases chalking it up to 'just where they are'. Yet when confronted with the fact that they soon will have that around them where they live, they go into a fit demanding that their safety is at risk. Perhaps there have been horror stories about it all, but a lot of it is just a lack of education about self protection as opposed to relying on others (LEOs, etc...) for their concerns. In the end it's going to take cooperation on behalf of LE and the general public to make it work smoothly.

Pyro01

After reading your post opusd2, it reminded me of the ruling that the supreme court made saying LEO's do not have a constitutional duty to protect you from harm. Since no one's mentioned it, I think it would be a very good snippet to put in your article, especially if you're trying to get across what concealed carry is all about. Here's an article from the New York Times explaining more details.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
After reading your post opusd2, it reminded me of the ruling that the supreme court made saying LEO's do not have a constitutional duty to protect you from harm. Since no one's mentioned it, I think it would be a very good snippet to put in your article, especially if you're trying to get across what concealed carry is all about. Here's an article from the New York Times explaining more details.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html

Warren v. D.C. is another good example.

opusd2

I often bring up the fact that we are pretty much on our own with regards to safety, to people who question my OC or intent to CC. Some people it just doesn't register with, my mom is one. She is so oblivious to life's obstacles, and the fact that many items go missing off of the farm even daily. I have a shady relative who is probably to blame for most of it, but there is more missing with this depression going on than a little. Crime is getting worse, people are desperate.

And I refuse to let anyone get in the way of my family's safety, especially my son. I'm well aware of the legalities of using deadly force and know that I won't get the same treatment as a deputy who shoots his niece and gets away with it, but I am prepared to keep my son safe, happy and healthy.

shernandez

Thanks everyone. My story comes out tomorrow and there will be others so don't think that I'm ignoring all your advice or anything. I still have lots of information that I gathered to use. I appreciate everyones' help!

protias

Thanks everyone. My story comes out tomorrow and there will be others so don't think that I'm ignoring all your advice or anything. I still have lots of information that I gathered to use. I appreciate everyones' help!

Will it be available online?

Trip20

The Article said:
Bies, a retired chief deputy sheriff, said he felt additional training was necessary based on the training he received as a deputy over the years. He said none of the other states require training and that he hasn't seen evidence from any states where lack of training has created any issues.

Bies is working on a bill that, if passed, would add further training to the concealed-carry law.

Emphasis mine.

A bit contradictory wouldn't you say? He concedes it's not an issue, yet he's working on a bill that would add further training requirements to the law.

Last edited:

bmwguy11

There is an error in the story. Or maybe a misleading sentence:

The county will not be significantly impacted if it decides to not allow unauthorized civilians (other than security guards, law enforcement) to carry in certain facilities, Thomas said.

According to the law, unauthorized civilians are also banned from carrying in state parks and state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and in a carrying case..

The 2nd part is untrue. People with a CCW permit are allowed to carry concealed in state parks and hatcheries after nov 1st.