Thread: ECU Drill

ECU Drill

Any word on how the active shooter drill went today at ECU

No, I was no ton campus, but I will be contacting the Campus police later this month with a formal FOIA request for the final report.

I won't be holding my breath for that one though...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

mattwestm
    I got an email around 1PM saying that the drill was over. I'm assuming it started at 8 or 9AM. Better than last time, but still poor.

Not much information on the news...they said it was a success, but there was some funny footage though on Channel 9 news that night. It showed one overweight ECU cop running toward the entrance, with his AR at the ready, and he looks down at his weapon, in the vicinity of his trigger finger, and he drops the magazine out onto the ground and keeps on running. I rewound and watched several times to make sure I was seeing it right....too funny!

mattwestm
    Quote Originally Posted by tak2w View Post
    Not much information on the news...they said it was a success, but there was some funny footage though on Channel 9 news that night. It showed one overweight ECU cop running toward the entrance, with his AR at the ready, and he looks down at his weapon, in the vicinity of his trigger finger, and he drops the magazine out onto the ground and keeps on running. I rewound and watched several times to make sure I was seeing it right....too funny!
    The real question is how a training exercise could be anything other than a success. Although I'd consider taking 6.5 hours to find and neutralize the "shooter" a failure. Most of the ECU PD officers are pretty nice people, but I wouldn't want to rely on them for my personal safety. The "Student Patrol" thing they do in the evening is even more of a joke. Apparently they hired a company to help organize the event. I was under the impression that ECU PD and Greenville PD completely designed the event.

And about the FOIA request... Aren't they pretty much required to give you information on the event?

EDIT: There are several photos on the ECU PD Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/East-C...0003435?ref=ts

I'd love to see a comment from Dreamer on the page :-)
    Last edited by mattwestm; 08-08-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Wierd most county sherrif depts have tactical medics, I dont see any involment in this drill. That should be a nessitity for a school shooting on a college campus, how long will it take for them to realize this.
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0tt View Post
    Wierd most county sherrif depts have tactical medics, I dont see any involment in this drill. That should be a nessitity for a school shooting on a college campus, how long will it take for them to realize this.
    Realization will set in about two seconds after the first real occurance. As usual ---too late.

I can't speak to this year's drill but I know that last year, there was not local EMS involvement.

Yeah, it was VERY realistic, and well-thought-out...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by buzzsaw View Post
    Realization will set in about two seconds after the first real occurance. As usual ---too late.
    Hine-sight is 20/20
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice