• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ECU Drill

Dreamer

No, I was no ton campus, but I will be contacting the Campus police later this month with a formal FOIA request for the final report.

I won't be holding my breath for that one though...

M

mattwestm

I got an email around 1PM saying that the drill was over. I'm assuming it started at 8 or 9AM. Better than last time, but still poor.

tak2w

Not much information on the news...they said it was a success, but there was some funny footage though on Channel 9 news that night. It showed one overweight ECU cop running toward the entrance, with his AR at the ready, and he looks down at his weapon, in the vicinity of his trigger finger, and he drops the magazine out onto the ground and keeps on running. :D I rewound and watched several times to make sure I was seeing it right....too funny!

M

mattwestm

Not much information on the news...they said it was a success, but there was some funny footage though on Channel 9 news that night. It showed one overweight ECU cop running toward the entrance, with his AR at the ready, and he looks down at his weapon, in the vicinity of his trigger finger, and he drops the magazine out onto the ground and keeps on running. :D I rewound and watched several times to make sure I was seeing it right....too funny!

The real question is how a training exercise could be anything other than a success. Although I'd consider taking 6.5 hours to find and neutralize the "shooter" a failure. Most of the ECU PD officers are pretty nice people, but I wouldn't want to rely on them for my personal safety. The "Student Patrol" thing they do in the evening is even more of a joke. Apparently they hired a company to help organize the event. I was under the impression that ECU PD and Greenville PD completely designed the event.

And about the FOIA request... Aren't they pretty much required to give you information on the event?

EDIT: There are several photos on the ECU PD Facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/East-Carolina-University-Police-Department/100529830003435?ref=ts

I'd love to see a comment from Dreamer on the page :)

Last edited:

Sc0tt

Wierd most county sherrif depts have tactical medics, I dont see any involment in this drill. That should be a nessitity for a school shooting on a college campus, how long will it take for them to realize this.

buzzsaw

Wierd most county sherrif depts have tactical medics, I dont see any involment in this drill. That should be a nessitity for a school shooting on a college campus, how long will it take for them to realize this.

Realization will set in about two seconds after the first real occurance. As usual ---too late.

Dreamer

I can't speak to this year's drill but I know that last year, there was not local EMS involvement.

Yeah, it was VERY realistic, and well-thought-out...