• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC in Id

YoungGun556

Howdy ya'll,

Just joined up here so I could learn some things. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I have a question about open carry here in Idaho.

I read the little pamphlet that you guys have here about the laws but I'm a bit confused about something. It says that minimum age for open carry is 18. Do you still have to be 21 to carry a handgun even though the state law says 18? The reason I ask is, last year a relative got me an SA XD40 as an early Christmas present and I didn't want to carry it "illegally" if you still need to be 21. If one does need to be 21 to openly carry a handgun, could that person who is under 21 carry a rifle/shotgun slung over the shoulder or back, in a non-threatening manner just the same as a person over 21 would carry a handgun?

Before anyone assumes anything, I can shoot my XD pretty well, always getting practice whenever I can. I'm not some Call of Duty punk that thinks he knows it all about guns. I've had firearm safety drilled into my head from an early age. Firearms are a major interest of mine and I try to learn about the laws as much as I do about guns themselves.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yep, you posted in the right place - your questions are Idaho specific.

18 is the legal age to OC a properly holstered handgun in your state.
See OCDO interactive maps and links:
http://www.opencarry.org/age.html

Caution: avoid links offering things for sale as your reference to "Call of Duty" did - that is a sure way to get banned - not to be harsh, but you have attracted a Moderator's attention.

Also long guns are generally OT on OCDO except in the General Discussion forum - carry is not encouraged. Please read the rules first - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Other than that, welcome to OCDO - hope you stay, enjoy and profit. :D

YoungGun556

Thanks for the reply and the heads up. I apologize for the video game reference, I didn't realize it would be a link. :banghead:

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Actually ... that was not your fault. The forum software did that automatically. Sorry for the misunderstanding. You are good to go!

John

Thanks for the reply and the heads up. I apologize for the video game reference, I didn't realize it would be a link. :banghead:

clarkebar

I'm glad you decided to post on here. There was a gentleman who is now serving in the Marine Corps who is known on here as "Saint" who was eighteen when he openly carried a pistol into the Boise Public Library a few years back, I'm sure his thread is still on here about it. This action made certain that the Boise Police Department was made aware of the legal rights of adults, even if they are still teenagers. You may carry, as long as it is in the open. Until Marv can convince his legislative buddies to change the laws, you'll have to wait till your twenty first birthday to be afforded the privilege of concealed carry...

YoungGun556

I'm glad you decided to post on here. There was a gentleman who is now serving in the Marine Corps who is known on here as "Saint" who was eighteen when he openly carried a pistol into the Boise Public Library a few years back, I'm sure his thread is still on here about it. This action made certain that the Boise Police Department was made aware of the legal rights of adults, even if they are still teenagers. You may carry, as long as it is in the open. Until Marv can convince his legislative buddies to change the laws, you'll have to wait till your twenty first birthday to be afforded the privilege of concealed carry...

Thanks for clarifying that. As of next month, I'll only have another year until I'm 21. Even after getting my permit, I'll probably open carry as much as I can, just to help educate the public, so I guess I better do lots of reading around here.

On another note, since I started my job at the local grocery store, I've seen 3 people who open carry. 2 guys with empty holsters. One was today(nylon thumbbreak for what my guess would be a 4" revolver) and the other guy was a couple months ago. The last guy had his gun, think it might have been a ruger, only got a split second glance at the grip, in a leather holster over right kidney and I think I saw him last week. I'd like to ask our store manager about open carry on the property but not sure how to bring up the subject.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- I'd like to ask our store manager about open carry on the property but not sure how to bring up the subject.

Best idea is not to bring it up at all - why give him the opportunity to respond in the negative. Just let nature take it's course and he'll see that responsible citizens are just that....responsible.

BTW - wearing an empty holster is not exactly OCing.

YoungGun556

I agree, that's probably the best way to go about it.

I don't imagine they just walk around with empty holsters, but you never know. People are strange. My guess is they either didn't want to scare anyone or maybe they had been told to leave their guns in their cars before. I didn't ask either person because I was busy working on something when I looked up and saw them for a second.

Last edited:

Zhukov

I've never had a real negative encounter when open carrying.

I've found walking into the store and going about your normal business and not acting nervous is the key.

If you look like you belong, and that gun is supposed to be there, people are less likely to bug you.

Also, another key is to not make a big deal about it. I've said in previous posts: As far as I'm concerned, my gun is about as interesting as my belt and thus I act accordingly.

I know it's there, they know it's there, but I don't fidget or mess with it. Avoid excessive touching or anything like that. Those kind of behaviors make people nervous.

Even if it's your first time carrying, put on that confidence in what you're doing. The first time I carried, I was a nervous wreck. I'm originally from California and let me tell you...out there, you could get a nice officer that knows the laws and doesn't bug you...or, most likely, you get a gun pointed in your face, proned on the ground, screamed at, disarmed, and arrested.

I've been carrying for a year solid in Idaho. Every. Single. Day. - Never had the cops called, never been asked to leave anywhere (try to read posts about stores that have negative policies, so as to avoid public spectacles.)

Just the other night, I'm at the gf's car looking under the hood, and an officer rolls up to an illegally parked truck. I'm turned so my gun is directly in his line of sight. He asks if it's my vehicle (we're standing behind it), I say nope and then....nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. That's why I love this state.

Remember: When you're interacting with people while carrying, you are a bit of an Ambassador whether you like it or not. Don't make us all look bad!

Good luck out there and carry with confidence.

ecocks

I would look through the employee manual if you have questions about YOU carrying while at work.

If you are wanting to ask about customers who carry I agree that you might not want to ask the manager. If one of the people with an empty holster asks, then direct them to the manager.