Thread: Stars under names

Stars under names

What are the stars for under each person's name?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I think the more people that give you high ratings on your threads the higher your star level gets. I'm not sure though.

In most forums its related to number of posts you have and/or duration you been a member. They can also be manually set by admin per user for things like donating or anything else.

Looked to me like the "rep" system. However I saw no way to give rep to another poster. /shrug

I keep peeking in hoping that one of the mods has shown up & posted an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor
    Looked to me like the "rep" system. However I saw no way to give rep to another poster.
    Yeah, that confused me too.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay
    In most forums its related to number of posts you have and/or duration you been a member.
    Not jumping on you (you'd know if I were ), but that explanation doesn't seem to fit here.
    Why do you, joining in MAY11, with 60 posts, have 4 stars,
    while protias, who joined in DEC08, having 3800+ posts, gets 1 star?
    Mike has 6 (MAY06, 8100+ posts),
    Grey Peterson has 12 (MAY06, 2000+ posts),
    John has an infinity symbol (JUN10, 485 posts).
    Last edited by MKEgal; 08-05-2011 at 01:23 AM.

I just fired off a PM to John to make him aware of the question. I referenced this thread. He is probably the best one to answer accurately.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-04-2011 at 11:49 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Banned
    There seems to be a link between the titles ("Regular Member," "Campaign Veteran," etc.) and the stars. The titles are awarded based on contributions. If you'd like to buy a title and stars, click the "Donate" butt in the main bar up top.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    If you'd like to buy a title and stars, click the "Donate" butt in the main bar up top.

This causes the entire concept to sour for me. The entire purpose of the stars should be in recognition of ALL contributions. I would like to think I've contributed to "the cause" in a recognizeable way regardless of my monetary value. Knowing I can just fork over some cash and get some stars lowers their value in my eyes.

Imagine knowing you could send $100 to the Dept. of Defense and buy yourself a valid Army Commendation Medal ($1000 for Bronze Stars, $10,000 for Silver Stars, and $100,000 for Medals of Honor).

Wouldn't this discount the recognition of those who earned them through effort?

If I might offer a suggestion: Why not a seperate classification? How about having the stars recognize monetary "help", while having the title recognize other specific contributions? (Similar to the "Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter. I like that one!) There should be a "Skidmark Stormtrooper" one, a "Madison 5 Minuteman", a "Philly OC'er" and other various "titles".

Not only would this recognize monetary support (which should be acknowleged) it would also recognize other "less concrete" support.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Those are user ranks that match up to the member status.

Regular Member = 1 star

Activist Members = 2 stars

etc.

They recognize the contributions that people have given to our various radio, billboard and media campaigns.

I know some will say it is unfair to allow people to "buy" status but member support has allowed us to do so much in the media that we could have otherwise never have done and it only seems fair to recognize those who made it all possible.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    If I might offer a suggestion: Why not a seperate classification? How about having the stars recognize monetary "help", while having the title recognize other specific contributions? (Similar to the "Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter. I like that one!) There should be a "Skidmark Stormtrooper" one, a "Madison 5 Minuteman", a "Philly OC'er" and other various "titles".

Not only would this recognize monetary support (which should be acknowleged) it would also recognize other "less concrete" support.
    I would be open to this. Those who contributed to Skidmark's (or other members) legal defense funds, or who ran local picnics, etc, SHOULD be recognized. I will have to think about how to best implement those but this is a good idea.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Those are user ranks that match up to the member status.

Regular Member = 1 star

Activist Members = 2 stars

etc.

They recognize the contributions that people have given to our various radio, billboard and media campaigns.

I know some will say it is unfair to allow people to "buy" status but member support has allowed us to do so much in the media that we could have otherwise never have done and it only seems fair to recognize those who made it all possible.

John
    Thanks for the explanation. I just wanted to find out what the stars were for.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)