• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stars under names

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
In most forums its related to number of posts you have and/or duration you been a member. They can also be manually set by admin per user for things like donating or anything else.

MKEgal

I keep peeking in hoping that one of the mods has shown up & posted an answer.

VW_Factor said:
Looked to me like the "rep" system. However I saw no way to give rep to another poster.
Yeah, that confused me too.

slapmonkay said:
In most forums its related to number of posts you have and/or duration you been a member.
Not jumping on you (you'd know if I were :rolleyes: ), but that explanation doesn't seem to fit here.
Why do you, joining in MAY11, with 60 posts, have 4 stars,
while protias, who joined in DEC08, having 3800+ posts, gets 1 star?
Mike has 6 (MAY06, 8100+ posts),
Grey Peterson has 12 (MAY06, 2000+ posts),
John has an infinity symbol (JUN10, 485 posts).

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I just fired off a PM to John to make him aware of the question. I referenced this thread. He is probably the best one to answer accurately.

Last edited:

eye95

There seems to be a link between the titles ("Regular Member," "Campaign Veteran," etc.) and the stars. The titles are awarded based on contributions. If you'd like to buy a title and stars, click the "Donate" butt in the main bar up top.

Superlite27

If you'd like to buy a title and stars, click the "Donate" butt in the main bar up top.

This causes the entire concept to sour for me. The entire purpose of the stars should be in recognition of ALL contributions. I would like to think I've contributed to "the cause" in a recognizeable way regardless of my monetary value. Knowing I can just fork over some cash and get some stars lowers their value in my eyes.

Imagine knowing you could send $100 to the Dept. of Defense and buy yourself a valid Army Commendation Medal ($1000 for Bronze Stars, $10,000 for Silver Stars, and $100,000 for Medals of Honor).

Wouldn't this discount the recognition of those who earned them through effort?

If I might offer a suggestion: Why not a seperate classification? How about having the stars recognize monetary "help", while having the title recognize other specific contributions? (Similar to the "Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter. I like that one!) There should be a "Skidmark Stormtrooper" one, a "Madison 5 Minuteman", a "Philly OC'er" and other various "titles".

Not only would this recognize monetary support (which should be acknowleged) it would also recognize other "less concrete" support.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
What are the stars for under each person's name?

Those are user ranks that match up to the member status.

Regular Member = 1 star

Activist Members = 2 stars

etc.

They recognize the contributions that people have given to our various radio, billboard and media campaigns.

I know some will say it is unfair to allow people to "buy" status but member support has allowed us to do so much in the media that we could have otherwise never have done and it only seems fair to recognize those who made it all possible.

John

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
If I might offer a suggestion: Why not a seperate classification? How about having the stars recognize monetary "help", while having the title recognize other specific contributions? (Similar to the "Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter. I like that one!) There should be a "Skidmark Stormtrooper" one, a "Madison 5 Minuteman", a "Philly OC'er" and other various "titles".

Not only would this recognize monetary support (which should be acknowleged) it would also recognize other "less concrete" support.

I would be open to this. Those who contributed to Skidmark's (or other members) legal defense funds, or who ran local picnics, etc, SHOULD be recognized. I will have to think about how to best implement those but this is a good idea.

John

protias

Those are user ranks that match up to the member status.

Regular Member = 1 star

Activist Members = 2 stars

etc.

They recognize the contributions that people have given to our various radio, billboard and media campaigns.

I know some will say it is unfair to allow people to "buy" status but member support has allowed us to do so much in the media that we could have otherwise never have done and it only seems fair to recognize those who made it all possible.

John

Thanks for the explanation. I just wanted to find out what the stars were for. :)