• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in MD

FencerM

Hello, fellow gun owners! I own a small business located in a stand-alone building. Sometimes our office is visited by a shadowy characters from the street. Can I open carry inside my place of business without permit? This is in gun-unfriendly MD.

Thank you!

okboomer

Hi FencerM,

Welcome to the forum! I don't live in MD, so cannot answer your question, but if you will go to the front forum page and scroll down the page, you will find individual state forums where I am sure your answer will be answered in short order.

swinokur

Activist Member
If you are the owner then yes.

MD Statute 4-203
allowed
(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Do not deviate from your route between your home and business. MD cops will arrest you if you are not doing directly between the allowed places.

IANAL

AirBear

As a retired Maryland Trooper, I can assure you that it is perfectly legal to open carry in your place of business, as well as in your home.