• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get Some Guns and Ammo location in Orem, Utah

UnderratedF001

Hi All,

New member here, but a long-time lurker.

As my first post, I thought I'd pass along an experience I had at the new Get Some Guns and Ammo location in Orem.

I was browsing a few guns, and I was working with one of the counter help who happened to be a LEO (current or former, I don't remember exactly what he said). An older gentleman with glasses, who I assumed was the manager of the store, came over to see how things were going, and I mentioned that I was looking to sell one of my Glocks on KSL to fund another purchase. He started raving about how much he loved KSL, and that how he purchased and sold handguns all the time via KSL (personal transactions only; not related to the store), and that he always looks for out-of-state buyers and sellers because they're willing to pay more and sell for less.

I mentioned to him how transferring a handgun to a private party across state lines was against Federal law, and he promptly raised his eyebrows, drop his glasses to the end of his nose, stared me down, and then proceeded to "educate me on the law". He ranted and raved for about 3 minutes, and even said "are you a a cop? Well, he is, and he says it's OK."

The LEO/Counter Help told me that Federal law said nothing about private transactions, and that it's totally legal to purchase a gun from an Idaho or Wyoming resident - he's even driven up to Boise several times to purchase handguns from private sellers. The older gentleman said, "That's just one of the myths out there. It's legal, and he's a cop." He also said he bought a revolver from a guy in Georgia once, and they met in Texas to do the sale.

Obviously, this information directly contradicts Federal law (specifically, 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30)

I quickly backed down from the conversation and promptly left the establishment -- I had just been made aware of a Federal felony. I have to be honest, it scares me a little that an FFL wouldn't even know the law... though, I suppose that's par for the course.

After the incident, I sent an email on their webpage (http://www.getsomeguns.com/) detailing the experience, and below is a response I received (approximately a week later):

"You dont happen to be from WY? Private sell is a touchy subject anyway. The ATF has never procecuted an individual who sold one to out of state. The only cases I have found are when the person sales them under malice and neglect and knowing that the gun was going to be used criminally. I always say follow these rules to cover ass; Do a bill of sale, make sure buyer is of age(include this verbage in bill of sale), make sure they are eligible to possess firearms(also include this verbage in bill of sale), and get copy of ID. If buyer wont cooperate, dont sell it. I will send you a couple if range passes. I ask that you give us another try, maybe start with an easier topic or something not so contreversial. :):) Sorry about spelling, my fat fingers have issues typing on phone. Thanks again, Stuart"

So... the owner of Get Some Guns and Ammo is aware that a private transfer of a handgun across state lines (with no FFL interaction) is illegal, but he suggests "covering your ass" by documenting it. He might be right about the ATF never prosecuting anyone for a private transaction, but does that really matter? The law is the law, regardless of whether we agree with it or not.

I won't be going back to this place under any circumstances, and I just thought I'd pass on the info. Do with it what you will.

jpm84092

This is probably one of those topics that are better off if not discussed on the internet as one who might read such a post might not have access to all the facts. An employee of Get Some would be a FFL and an interstate transaction in that case would not be illegal.

UnderratedF001

This is probably one of those topics that are better off if not discussed on the internet as one who might read such a post might not have access to all the facts. An employee of Get Some would be a FFL and an interstate transaction in that case would not be illegal.

The facts?

The facts are clearly outlined in 18 USC 922. It's against 18 USC 922 to purchase or sell a handgun to an out-of-state buyer or seller without FFL interaction, which is what these employees admitted to doing (and even advised me to do).

Interstate handgun transactions require that that process be done through an FFL.

For example, a buyer in Georgia wants to purchase a handgun from a dealer in Utah. The Utah dealer must ship the handgun to an FFL in Georgia, where the FFL will comply with the Federal and local laws.

If I list a gun on KSL and a resident of Wyoming offers to drive down to Provo, Utah to pick it up, I can not sell the handgun to them in a private, face-to-face transaction without the use of an FFL. I can take his money and ship the handgun to an FFL in Wyoming -- where the buyer may complete the 4473 and receive the handgun -- but I can not allow them to take the firearm at the time of the sale.

Private sales of firearms (both long guns and handguns) are only allowed between residents of the same state.

ManInBlack

Who cares? Let them do what they're going to do. As Jefferson said, "it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg," so I could care less. Crimes consist of actual, unjustified damages to life, liberty, or property. I have a "don't ask, don't tell" attitude toward behavior that was "criminalized" simply because 50.1% of idiots in a room raised their hands.

If you're worried about violating a federal enactment, then don't. Why do you feel the need to draw attention and scrutiny to folks who are engaged in productive commerce and are simply exercising their natural rights?

Last edited: