• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Movement on Facebook will soon be archived

since9

Campaign Veteran
That's Right.

This group is scheduled to be archived

Over the next few months, Facebook will be archiving all groups created using the old groups format. When this group is archived, its wall posts, photos and discussion threads will move to the new groups format, but group members will need to be re-added.

Is there no way to transfer membership??? That's a little insane, if you ask me. Sounds like FB is doing a "cleansing" of topics with which it doesn't agree, without actually deleting the group altogether. The actual hard drive space required to store membership information for 2,238 members is this long: 111 10111010 00001100 00001100 01001100 10100101 10100110. That's 7 bytes long for each, for a total of 15k. At $100/Terabyte, that comes to approximately $0.0015.

That's right - about 1/7th of one cent.

So, saving money can't be the reason they're deleting all the members...

mrjam2jab

I think If the person that controls the group actively switches to the new format, all the members will be switched as well without having to re-add them. I'm in several groups that seemed to have done that and I didnt need to Rejoin them.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
I think If the person that controls the group actively switches to the new format, all the members will be switched as well without having to re-add them. I'm in several groups that seemed to have done that and I didnt need to Rejoin them.

This is accurate. Paranoia and conspiracy is not . . .

chcknhawk

Facebook is changing the way it manages groups, gun or no gun. Every group on Facebook must switch to the new Group format or be archived. Nothing sadistic to it.

By the way, I'm new. The name comes from the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons, not the liberal definition.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Facebook is changing the way it manages groups, gun or no gun. Every group on Facebook must switch to the new Group format or be archived. Nothing sadistic to it.

By the way, I'm new. The name comes from the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons, not the liberal definition.

Welcome to OCDO!!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!!!! If the avatar photo is of you, thank you for your service. I see your from Texas, no open carry :-(, so you should check out the Texas Forum .

I am probably one of the few folks under 30 who are not on Facebook. How many followers are there on the Open Carry Movement page?

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO!!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!!!! If the avatar photo is of you, thank you for your service. I see your from Texas, no open carry :-(, so you should check out the Texas Forum .

I am probably one of the few folks under 30 who are not on Facebook. How many followers are there on the Open Carry Movement page?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! WHAT DOES OCDO STAND FOR! I've been here for years and I still don't know... Open...Carry.....Discussion.....Octopus.... I have no idea.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Wow....now I know... looking back I kind of enjoyed it being a mystery.... but that's ruined now...thanks lol

since9

Campaign Veteran

As a systems analyst (former life prior to entering the military), I assure you there's no reason not to automatically convert all groups' data formats by default and archive groups on another basis, such as the lack of any activity in the last six months. FB's choice of associating archiving with a manual choice by those who established the group is errant, particularly when the group is going strong but whoever started it is no longer around.

By the way, I'm not very fond of folks intentionally ascribing grossly inaccurate perceptions such as "sadistic," "paranoid," or "conspiracy theorist" to me when my intent was quite clear: To inform this forum their FB group was soon to be archived. My comment about them "saving money can't be the reason they're deleting all the members" is indicative of FB's faulty policies. They should convert all groups, unless the group isn't being used, in which case it should be archived.

Archiving a group because it's originator is no longer around (or interested) in switching formats is akin to bulldozing a local clubhouse and its members for the same reason. Who cares if the originator isn't around? If the club remains active, it's a viable club.

Last edited:

PremiumGreen

what is the link to the Facebook Open Carry group??

what is the link to the Facebook Open Carry group??

That's Right.

Is there no way to transfer membership??? That's a little insane, if you ask me. Sounds like FB is doing a "cleansing" of topics with which it doesn't agree, without actually deleting the group altogether.

PremiumGreen

What is the link to the facebook open carry group?

What is the link to the facebook open carry group?

That's Right.

Is there no way to transfer membership??? That's a little insane, if you ask me. Sounds like FB is doing a "cleansing" of topics with which it doesn't agree, without actually deleting the group altogether. The actual hard drive space required to store membership information for 2,238 members is this long: 111 10111010 00001100 00001100 01001100 10100101 10100110. That's 7 bytes long for each, for a total of 15k. At $100/Terabyte, that comes to approximately $0.0015.

That's right - about 1/7th of one cent.

So, saving money can't be the reason they're deleting all the members...