Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 9 OC encounters in one day

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    179

    9 OC encounters in one day

    Thats right, NINE encounters in less than an 8 hour period. 7 good, 1 bad and 1 that just confused me. I was carrying my springfield xd9 tactical. Must be a very noticeable carry gun as i have never had so many people approach me about it. Had a couple guys say "good for you for carrying, a few asking about my XD, and i got into a fairly elongated conversation about carry options, being that i am still 20 i cannot legally carry concealed. One guy came up to me, and asked me why i feel the need to be carrying a gun in a restaurant. I explained that not only was it my legal right to do so, but that if need be, i will be able to protect myself, and even him if it ever came to that since i refused to be a victim. He basically laughed and told me he was an MMA cage fighter, and he didnt need a gun. Probably the most smug and cocky guy i have ever met. Once that was done with i went to radio shack to get a servo, and the clerk there noticed me right off. When i went to check out he asked me what kind of revolver i had, which confused me from the start, i then explained exactly what it was, and he had no idea what a .45 acp was, and since i said semi AUTOMATIC, he somehow got the impression it was a full auto uzi type pistol, didnt really know what else to say to that one, so i purchased my item, said thank you, and left.

    All in all it was an interesting day to be carrying, just wish more people understood why we carry...

  2. #2
    Regular Member Super Saiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by >meso.40< View Post
    He basically laughed and told me he was an MMA cage fighter, and he didnt need a gun.
    Reminds me of a quote....

    "Oh, you gonna bob and weave outta the path of a bullet? Cause now THAT I'd like to see."

  3. #3
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Saiyan View Post
    Reminds me of a quote....

    "Oh, you gonna bob and weave outta the path of a bullet? Cause now THAT I'd like to see."
    ....which reminds me of another quote...

    "I'm trying to tell you that, when you're ready, you won't have to."

    Everyone knows that bullets bounce off MMA cage fighters.

  4. #4
    Activist Member carsontech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post

    Everyone knows that bullets bounce off MMA cage fighters.
    That's almost sig worthy... lol

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Lol, I love when people think being a tough guy is a reason to not need a gun. One of my buddies who just recently got out of the marines told me he didn't know why I was so hard up on carrying guns and that he prefers a "combat knife." I asked him how you can stop a gang of 3 or more mugging you in a parking lot at night with just a knife and be blew me off as crazy. I guess getting mugged in a dark parking lot is not a realistic thing. Carrying a knife to fight off the world like John Rambo is more realistic to some people.... O_O
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  6. #6
    Regular Member Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Seattle,WA, , USA
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Saiyan View Post
    Reminds me of a quote....

    "Oh, you gonna bob and weave outta the path of a bullet? Cause now THAT I'd like to see."
    Or in "Remo Williams, The Adventure Begins" : [talking to his partner/trainer] "You can really dodge bullets?"

    "Only if they're real slow ones."

  7. #7
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    Tough guy mind-sets are still subject to modification by a either a 1000 FPS .45acp - or a 10 FPS kick to the groin.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 08-04-2011 at 10:40 AM.

  8. #8
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    923

    Claimed MMA fighter sounds like insecure bluster to me

    Quote Originally Posted by >meso.40< View Post
    Thats right, NINE encounters in less than an 8 hour period. 7 good, 1 bad and 1 that just confused me. I was carrying my springfield xd9 tactical. Must be a very noticeable carry gun as i have never had so many people approach me about it. Had a couple guys say "good for you for carrying, a few asking about my XD, and i got into a fairly elongated conversation about carry options, being that i am still 20 i cannot legally carry concealed. One guy came up to me, and asked me why i feel the need to be carrying a gun in a restaurant. I explained that not only was it my legal right to do so, but that if need be, i will be able to protect myself, and even him if it ever came to that since i refused to be a victim. He basically laughed and told me he was an MMA cage fighter, and he didnt need a gun. Probably the most smug and cocky guy i have ever met. Once that was done with i went to radio shack to get a servo, and the clerk there noticed me right off. When i went to check out he asked me what kind of revolver i had, which confused me from the start, i then explained exactly what it was, and he had no idea what a .45 acp was, and since i said semi AUTOMATIC, he somehow got the impression it was a full auto uzi type pistol, didnt really know what else to say to that one, so i purchased my item, said thank you, and left.

    All in all it was an interesting day to be carrying, just wish more people understood why we carry...
    Smug and cocky is often a coverup for fearful and insecure. Kind of like the fake special forces types who are always telling false war stories to boost their large but fragile egos.

  9. #9
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by >meso.40< View Post
    Thats right, NINE encounters in less than an 8 hour period
    Just curious. What method of carry were you using?

    Since the conscious mind isn't capable of noticing what it's not looking for, there had to be something about you that triggered a subconcious awareness in so many people. Could have simply been your age and the way you were dressed, coupled with the gun.

    Like I said, I'm curious.

    Fred

  10. #10
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    MMA Cage Fighter?... yeh... rite. He's prob'ly a SEAL poser too. LOL! Definately NOT a 'Zonie. The Radio Shack dude sounds like a typical clueless geek. 'Prob'ly a CA transplant.

    I gotta get some new grips over these bland military walnut diamond cuts. Punisher skulls would do it... heheheheh!

  11. #11
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Just curious. What method of carry were you using?

    Since the conscious mind isn't capable of noticing what it's not looking for, there had to be something about you that triggered a subconcious awareness in so many people. Could have simply been your age and the way you were dressed, coupled with the gun.

    Like I said, I'm curious.

    Fred
    I'm from Fl, but spend some time in VA. I get asked a lot.More than other people it seems.Surmised it's because I carry XD9 (black) with bianchi carry lok (tan leather) or bianchi paddle holster (also tan). Further, I carry 1-2 o'clock. I haven't had a bad encounter yet.
    Last edited by 77zach; 08-04-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

    I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

  12. #12
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    I'm from Fl, but spend some time in VA. I get asked a lot.More than other people it seems.Surmised it's because I carry XD9 (black) with bianchi carry lok (tan leather) or bianchi paddle holster (also tan). Further, I carry 1-2 o'clock. I haven't had a bad encounter yet.
    The front of the waist carry may be the thing that brings people out of condition white, but I doubt it. It's probably a two-fer, "young man with a gun."

    I assume you wear your pants up around your wiast, brim of the hat forward, don't walk with a swagger, and don't engage in body mutilations (piercings and tattoos)? Those are bell-ringers for most folks, especially when they see a gun.

    Fred

  13. #13
    Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    546
    hmmmmm i've studied tae kwan do, krav maga and a a few others. great stuff against an UN-ARMED thug........and me vs 3......fair fight i guess. however...me vs 3 ARMED thugs.......sigs coming out. no matter how much you know about H-T-H.........a gun always wins , especially if they are 6ft away from you. guy sounds like an idiot. heck if hand on hand was so amazing against guns........why do the Navy Seals carry them :-p lol
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    Just curious. What method of carry were you using?

    Since the conscious mind isn't capable of noticing what it's not looking for, there had to be something about you that triggered a subconcious awareness in so many people. Could have simply been your age and the way you were dressed, coupled with the gun.

    Like I said, I'm curious.

    Fred

    I was carrying it in a serpa, 4 0clock about, i dont dress or look like a thug or a punk. Dont walk like a "gangsta", i was just doing my own thing getting stuff done for the day. I am 20 as i said, but alot of people tell me i look much younger, so that is definitely a reason why so many people approach me.

    As for the "MMA" guy, i seriously doubt he was a cage fighter, so i basically nodded and agreed to reduce talking time with that fine chap.

  15. #15
    Regular Member azcdlfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by >meso.40< View Post
    i look much younger, so that is definitely a reason why so many people approach me
    One of the nice things about getting older is that you become "invisible."

    I'm 63 and it's rare to get a comment (or even be noticed) while carrying, and I open carry at lest 90% of the time.

    I won't get into the downsides of being my age

    Fred

  16. #16
    Regular Member xmanhockey7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portage, MI
    Posts
    1,490
    Quote Originally Posted by >meso.40< View Post
    He basically laughed and told me he was an MMA cage fighter, and he didnt need a gun.
    lol I have done and still do martial arts for about 5 years and I could defend myself against most attackers who could try to do me harm. BUT if I'm in a life or death situation I'd rather have 15+1 in my Glock and not have to worry as much about what type of weapon or for that matter what my attacker might know as far as fighting goes.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

    ...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

    Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

  17. #17
    Regular Member TOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Happy Jack, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    I won't get into the downsides of being my age

    Fred
    I hear you Fred but, at 71, have come to the realisation that getting old beats the alternative.

    Live Long and Prosper.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    179
    In the words of my Grandpa, when you get older you arent necessarily smarter, but more knowledgeable.

    Today i wished people were more knowledgeable, i was at the lake unloading the boat, and i heard people whispering about me, saying "what a nerd" i was for carrying around an "airsoft gun". I just laughed and went fishing. Im pretty sure carrying an airsoft gun without an orange tip is illegal and considered brandishing. I could be wrong but im pretty sure i heard something about that somewhere. People think im like 15 or 16 so figure a real gun on my hip is taboo.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tucson / Bangkok, ,
    Posts
    36

    old and invisible

    I just turned 75, and have been open carrying in Tucson lately. Walmart, Best buy, Basha's, verizon etc and I don't think anyone has even noticed my 1911 on my hip. I also haven't noticed any other open carry occuring, but don't watch closely. This is all in North Tucson, Tangerine roads and North.

    Any open carry coffees occuring in the near future in the Tucson area? I'd love to join in.

    Lynn M.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •