• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9 OC encounters in one day

*1911_man*

Thats right, NINE encounters in less than an 8 hour period. 7 good, 1 bad and 1 that just confused me. I was carrying my springfield xd9 tactical. Must be a very noticeable carry gun as i have never had so many people approach me about it. Had a couple guys say "good for you for carrying, a few asking about my XD, and i got into a fairly elongated conversation about carry options, being that i am still 20 i cannot legally carry concealed. One guy came up to me, and asked me why i feel the need to be carrying a gun in a restaurant. I explained that not only was it my legal right to do so, but that if need be, i will be able to protect myself, and even him if it ever came to that since i refused to be a victim. He basically laughed and told me he was an MMA cage fighter, and he didnt need a gun. Probably the most smug and cocky guy i have ever met. Once that was done with i went to radio shack to get a servo, and the clerk there noticed me right off. When i went to check out he asked me what kind of revolver i had, which confused me from the start, i then explained exactly what it was, and he had no idea what a .45 acp was, and since i said semi AUTOMATIC, he somehow got the impression it was a full auto uzi type pistol, didnt really know what else to say to that one, so i purchased my item, said thank you, and left.

All in all it was an interesting day to be carrying, just wish more people understood why we carry...

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Lol, I love when people think being a tough guy is a reason to not need a gun. One of my buddies who just recently got out of the marines told me he didn't know why I was so hard up on carrying guns and that he prefers a "combat knife." I asked him how you can stop a gang of 3 or more mugging you in a parking lot at night with just a knife and be blew me off as crazy. I guess getting mugged in a dark parking lot is not a realistic thing. Carrying a knife to fight off the world like John Rambo is more realistic to some people.... O_O

rushcreek2

Tough guy mind-sets are still subject to modification by a either a 1000 FPS .45acp - or a 10 FPS kick to the groin.

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Claimed MMA fighter sounds like insecure bluster to me

Thats right, NINE encounters in less than an 8 hour period. 7 good, 1 bad and 1 that just confused me. I was carrying my springfield xd9 tactical. Must be a very noticeable carry gun as i have never had so many people approach me about it. Had a couple guys say "good for you for carrying, a few asking about my XD, and i got into a fairly elongated conversation about carry options, being that i am still 20 i cannot legally carry concealed. One guy came up to me, and asked me why i feel the need to be carrying a gun in a restaurant. I explained that not only was it my legal right to do so, but that if need be, i will be able to protect myself, and even him if it ever came to that since i refused to be a victim. He basically laughed and told me he was an MMA cage fighter, and he didnt need a gun. Probably the most smug and cocky guy i have ever met. Once that was done with i went to radio shack to get a servo, and the clerk there noticed me right off. When i went to check out he asked me what kind of revolver i had, which confused me from the start, i then explained exactly what it was, and he had no idea what a .45 acp was, and since i said semi AUTOMATIC, he somehow got the impression it was a full auto uzi type pistol, didnt really know what else to say to that one, so i purchased my item, said thank you, and left.

All in all it was an interesting day to be carrying, just wish more people understood why we carry...

Smug and cocky is often a coverup for fearful and insecure. Kind of like the fake special forces types who are always telling false war stories to boost their large but fragile egos.

azcdlfred

Thats right, NINE encounters in less than an 8 hour period
Just curious. What method of carry were you using?

Since the conscious mind isn't capable of noticing what it's not looking for, there had to be something about you that triggered a subconcious awareness in so many people. Could have simply been your age and the way you were dressed, coupled with the gun.

Like I said, I'm curious.

Fred

Sonora Rebel

MMA Cage Fighter?... yeh... rite. He's prob'ly a SEAL poser too. LOL! Definately NOT a 'Zonie. The Radio Shack dude sounds like a typical clueless geek. 'Prob'ly a CA transplant.

I gotta get some new grips over these bland military walnut diamond cuts. Punisher skulls would do it... heheheheh!

77zach

Since the conscious mind isn't capable of noticing what it's not looking for, there had to be something about you that triggered a subconcious awareness in so many people. Could have simply been your age and the way you were dressed, coupled with the gun.

Fred

I'm from Fl, but spend some time in VA. I get asked a lot.More than other people it seems.Surmised it's because I carry XD9 (black) with bianchi carry lok (tan leather) or bianchi paddle holster (also tan). Further, I carry 1-2 o'clock. I haven't had a bad encounter yet.

Last edited:

azcdlfred

I'm from Fl, but spend some time in VA. I get asked a lot.More than other people it seems.Surmised it's because I carry XD9 (black) with bianchi carry lok (tan leather) or bianchi paddle holster (also tan). Further, I carry 1-2 o'clock. I haven't had a bad encounter yet.
The front of the waist carry may be the thing that brings people out of condition white, but I doubt it. It's probably a two-fer, "young man with a gun."

I assume you wear your pants up around your wiast, brim of the hat forward, don't walk with a swagger, and don't engage in body mutilations (piercings and tattoos)? Those are bell-ringers for most folks, especially when they see a gun.

Fred

carry for myself

hmmmmm i've studied tae kwan do, krav maga and a a few others. great stuff against an UN-ARMED thug........and me vs 3......fair fight i guess. however...me vs 3 ARMED thugs.......sigs coming out. no matter how much you know about H-T-H.........a gun always wins , especially if they are 6ft away from you. guy sounds like an idiot. heck if hand on hand was so amazing against guns........why do the Navy Seals carry them :p lol

*1911_man*

Fred

I was carrying it in a serpa, 4 0clock about, i dont dress or look like a thug or a punk. Dont walk like a "gangsta", i was just doing my own thing getting stuff done for the day. I am 20 as i said, but alot of people tell me i look much younger, so that is definitely a reason why so many people approach me.

As for the "MMA" guy, i seriously doubt he was a cage fighter, so i basically nodded and agreed to reduce talking time with that fine chap.

azcdlfred

i look much younger, so that is definitely a reason why so many people approach me
One of the nice things about getting older is that you become "invisible."

I'm 63 and it's rare to get a comment (or even be noticed) while carrying, and I open carry at lest 90% of the time.

I won't get into the downsides of being my age :dude:

Fred

xmanhockey7

He basically laughed and told me he was an MMA cage fighter, and he didnt need a gun.

lol I have done and still do martial arts for about 5 years and I could defend myself against most attackers who could try to do me harm. BUT if I'm in a life or death situation I'd rather have 15+1 in my Glock and not have to worry as much about what type of weapon or for that matter what my attacker might know as far as fighting goes.

*1911_man*

In the words of my Grandpa, when you get older you arent necessarily smarter, but more knowledgeable.

Today i wished people were more knowledgeable, i was at the lake unloading the boat, and i heard people whispering about me, saying "what a nerd" i was for carrying around an "airsoft gun". I just laughed and went fishing. Im pretty sure carrying an airsoft gun without an orange tip is illegal and considered brandishing. I could be wrong but im pretty sure i heard something about that somewhere. People think im like 15 or 16 so figure a real gun on my hip is taboo.

Old Uncle Ho

old and invisible

I just turned 75, and have been open carrying in Tucson lately. Walmart, Best buy, Basha's, verizon etc and I don't think anyone has even noticed my 1911 on my hip. I also haven't noticed any other open carry occuring, but don't watch closely. This is all in North Tucson, Tangerine roads and North.

Any open carry coffees occuring in the near future in the Tucson area? I'd love to join in.

Lynn M.