• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Genesee county fair.

mattswit

I'm planning on going to the fair in a couple weeks, does anyone know if there will be any gun bans.

Tucker6900

From my knowledge of Michigan law, if the fairgrounds is on county property, there is no gun ban the will supercede preemption. So, carry away.

Outdoorsman

I seem to remember hearing that the EA Cummings Center was privately owned and that the County leases the property. I could very well be wrong, so I sent an email to the County Parks asking if it's privately owned or County owned.

Also, after looking on the Parks website I found this statement in their rules...

"Section XXV – Firearms
For purposes of these rules, the term “firearm” shall include any revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, air rifle, air gun, water gun, slingshot, BB gun or any gun, rifle, firearm or bow or other device which is designed to discharge projectiles or are models or facsimiles of these devices, which appear to be capable of doing so.

No person shall possess or control any firearm (except those as permitted by MCL 28.421 et seq) upon properties administered by or under the jurisdiction of the Commission, except by prior written permission of the Commission or as allowed by the Commission from time to time in designated areas.
No person shall discharge any firearm upon property administered by or under the jurisdiction of the Commission except by prior written permission of the Commission or as allowed by the Commission from time to time in designated areas.
This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer acting in the course of his/her official duties."

http://www.geneseecountyparks.org/images/contentimages/file/park_rules.pdf

Outdoorsman

I seem to remember hearing that the EA Cummings Center was privately owned and that the County leases the property. I could very well be wrong, so I sent an email to the County Parks asking if it's privately owned or County owned.

Also, after looking on the Parks website I found this statement in their rules...

"Section XXV – Firearms
For purposes of these rules, the term “firearm” shall include any revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle, air rifle, air gun, water gun, slingshot, BB gun or any gun, rifle, firearm or bow or other device which is designed to discharge projectiles or are models or facsimiles of these devices, which appear to be capable of doing so.

No person shall possess or control any firearm (except those as permitted by MCL 28.421 et seq) upon properties administered by or under the jurisdiction of the Commission, except by prior written permission of the Commission or as allowed by the Commission from time to time in designated areas.
No person shall discharge any firearm upon property administered by or under the jurisdiction of the Commission except by prior written permission of the Commission or as allowed by the Commission from time to time in designated areas.
This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer acting in the course of his/her official duties."

I already received a response...and I was wrong.

"The E. A. Cummings Center is owned by the Genesee County Parks and Recreation Commission."

Deborah Wilkes, Secretary

Genesee County Parks & Recreation Commission

5045 Stanley Rd.

Flint MI 48506

Phone: 810-736-7100 ext 812

810-249-3812

FAX: 810-736-7220

Email: dwilkes@gcparks.org

SpringerXDacp

"Section XXV – Firearms

Not that it matters much due to preemption (123.1102), the highlighted portion above is saying those with a CPL are exempt (see link below).

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(it...page=getobject&objectname=mcl-act-372-of-1927

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Not that it matters much due to preemption (123.1102), the highlighted portion above is saying those with a CPL are exempt (see link below).

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(it...page=getobject&objectname=mcl-act-372-of-1927

I think if you are legally carrying a firearm, it is allowed. I took this from Grand Rapids' response to the question about their firearm law... and think it applies here too:

" local ordinance references persons who have been issued valid licenses pursuant to MCL 28.421 et seq. The Latin phrase et seq. means, roughly, “and the following” sections. Thus, the City Code is referencing several state law provisions, including but not limited to: (1) MCL 28.421a et seq., (which establishes a standardized system for the issuance of concealed pistol licenses), and also MCL 28.422 (which requires individuals to obtain pistol purchase licenses). Additional sections of State law regarding firearms are also referenced as well. These are simply examples." and, further on she states:

"Therefore, City Code section 9.173 does not prohibit a person who legally purchased a pistol through obtaining a pistol purchase permit, or a person with a valid CPL (who does not need a separate purchase permit in order to purchase another handgun) from carrying the firearm – openly or concealed – within the City limits. Both of those classes of individuals have been issued “a valid license to do so as provided by Act 372 of Michigan Public Acts of 1927, as amended (MCL 28.421 et seq.)”.

Therefore, it appears that if a person is following state law, they can carry.

Last edited:

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
I would also believe that a Pistol Purchase Permit (License) is also an exception.

So if you don't have a CPL but did purchase your sidearm legally you should be good to go also.

Please don't carry a long arm at the fair.

mattswit

phone call today

i called the county fair hotline today just to do one last check before i made the trip to the fairgrounds and was told that no firearms were allowed. Has anyone been out there? and are there any signs?

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i called the county fair hotline today just to do one last check before i made the trip to the fairgrounds and was told that no firearms were allowed. Has anyone been out there? and are there any signs?
signs are irrelevant, they do not have the power of law, i walked past no firearms signs several times at the St Clair Riverfest last month and was not stopped by security or law enforcement. it was on public property.

just go and make sure you are rolling audio and/or video.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman

The fairgrounds are county owned. (See email below)

"The E. A. Cummings Center is owned by the Genesee County Parks and Recreation Commission."

Deborah Wilkes, Secretary

Genesee County Parks & Recreation Commission

5045 Stanley Rd.

Flint MI 48506

Phone: 810-736-7100 ext 812

810-249-3812

FAX: 810-736-7220

Email: dwilkes@gcparks.org

scot623

I placed a phone call to the fair director. I am waiting for his return call. He was already looking into the firearm situation before I called. I'll post any updates as I get them.

lapeer20m

Sorry that I missed you. I also spent a while roaming around the fair. No issues. Then again, the type of people who raise cattle and horses are not generally anti-gun.

I did not see any signs. I felt that a couple of people (teachers?) at the "recall snider" booth looked at me a little funny as I walked by.