• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Tech on Lockdown After Reports of "Gunman" Near Campus

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
134246.jpg

Dude, where's my gun?

I know him Repeater!
Can't think of his name.
Nice fellow....don't talk a lot:eek:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Even with their new "safety" procedures it still took them 28 minutes to issue a campus-wide alert. Somebody could do a lot of damage in that time they spent trying to confirm the report.

http://usat.ly/nVHYiK

nova

Even with their new "safety" procedures it still took them 28 minutes to issue a campus-wide alert. Somebody could do a lot of damage in that time they spent trying to confirm the report.

Not that a text message is going to do jack to defend you against an active shooter, but it once again shows that the only one that can protect you, is you.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Not that a text message is going to do jack to defend you against an active shooter, but it once again shows that the only one that can protect you, is you.

Exactly, I agree 100%. 28 minutes to send a text message. 2.5 seconds to draw a handgun if the threat is real. Someone else pointed out that no one could even effectively search the campus for a threat due to its size. The only way to have a chance of keeping people safe is to let them defend themselves.

Last edited:

mpg9999

Carry at public universities is not illegal. It may be against policy for students and employees, but it is not illegal. :)

As for GMU and VCU regs in the VAC, as of this past year due to the GMU lawsuit, it only applies to buildings and events. This was always the case for GMU, but apparently now also applies for VCU according to vcdl due to the ruling.

What stops police from asking someone OC'ing on campus to leave and charge them with trespassing if they don't? Any relevant case law? Been having a discussion with someone and they keep saying it doesn't matter if it's not illegal, they can still ask you to leave and charge you with trespassing if you don't. I don't believe this to be the case, but I'm trying to find information to back it up.

Neplusultra

Alright, which one of you were were OCing on the VT campus this morning?

You beat me to it, exactly my thoughts. Here's a photo of me in VA Tech's Newman library next to a very sweet hydrogen peroxide rocket motor they have on the first floor. Note the .45 on my side. I've OCed a number of times with no issues even though I know I've been reported but the campus police did not respond. Not sure what the reception would be now.

DSCN8247.jpg

Just to let you know. Liquid hydrogen peroxide (90%+ concentration) is fed into the motor on the left side at around 1200 psi. It enters the grey area which is a catalyst "wool". This causes the H2O2 to decompose into super heated steam and oxygen at around 1200 degrees F, red hot steam. It then enters the combustion chamber in the middle where jet fuel is injected into the stream. This spontaneously combusts exiting the convergent/divergent nozzle on the right, producing around 2000 pounds of thrust along with what I imagine is a huge flame and a HELL OF A LOT OF NOISE!!! I want to make one of these :^).

Last edited:

Neplusultra

Exactly, I agree 100%. 28 minutes to send a text message. 2.5 seconds to draw a handgun if the threat is real. Someone else pointed out that no one could even effectively search the campus for a threat due to its size. The only way to have a chance of keeping people safe is to let them defend themselves.

2.5 SECONDS!!? You need to work on that draw a bit :^). I can do a nice 4" double tap at 7 yards from the holster in less than 1.5 seconds :^). My understanding is that is fairly average. Otherwise I agree with your statement completely.

Ranger

The Ft Hood shooter got off over 200 rounds in the first three minutes and had the same left in loaded magazines. Police arrived and engaged at the three minute mark. Active shooter situations for sheople are just targets, but could an armed citizens could be mistaken as a shooter if protecting self in a similar situation?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
but could an armed citizens could be mistaken as a shooter if protecting self in a similar situation?

Yeah, but so what. If I have to risk being shot by a cop who assumes anyone with a gun must be a bad guy to potentially save the lives of several people, that's a risk I'm willing to take....

Roscoe

Shovelhead

You're supposed to hold up your cellphone and inform the 'active shooter' that you received the notification text and are now deemed "Off Limits".

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Carry at public universities is not illegal. It may be against policy for students and employees, but it is not illegal. :)

As for GMU and VCU regs in the VAC, as of this past year due to the GMU lawsuit, it only applies to buildings and events. This was always the case for GMU, but apparently now also applies for VCU according to vcdl due to the ruling.

So ... perhaps there should be an OC "walkaround" on the VT campus...

mpg9999

What stops police from asking someone OC'ing on campus to leave and charge them with trespassing if they don't? Any relevant case law? Been having a discussion with someone and they keep saying it doesn't matter if it's not illegal, they can still ask you to leave and charge you with trespassing if you don't. I don't believe this to be the case, but I'm trying to find information to back it up.

Bump. Anyone have an answer?