• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man with gun spotted on VA Tech Campus...

carsontech

Activist Member
http://www.vt.edu/

Happening this morning....

Is this someone thinking the university is following the the AG's opinion, someone who just doesn't know the unconstitutional policies of VA Tech, or some loony?

"Update to VT Alerts
(10:35 a.m.) See VT homepage or email for further information on possible person with weapon. People on campus stay indoors until further notice.

Update to VT Alerts

At 9:09 a.m. three juveniles attending a camp at the university reported seeing a white male, 6 feet tall, with light brown hair outside of New Residence Hall East holding what may have been a handgun. They say the weapon was covered by a cloth or covering of some sort. He was walking fast in the direction of the volleyball courts. He was wearing a blue and white striped shirt (stripes were vertical), gray shorts and brown sandals. The subject had no facial hair or glasses.

Officers responded immediately to the area but found no one matching the description. Police have encountered no other witnesses reporting this individual or anything suspicious. Law enforcement officers from VTPD, Blacksburg PD, Christiansburg PD, Virginia State Police, and Montgomery County Sheriff's Office are patrolling the campus, continuing to look for the subject.

If anyone sees anything suspicious contact the VT Police Department at 231-6411 or 911

Campus individuals should remain indoors."

FFchris

I just saw the "Breaking News" on NBC4 about the man with a gun at VT. The spokesperson said that the kids (early teens from the DC area) saw a man"... holding what may have been a handgun. They say the weapon was covered by a cloth or covering of some sort." So how do they see something that is covered and tell that it's a gun from a distance? This sounds like a false alarm for a nonevent.

eye95

My first gut reaction is that the kids, subconsciously or consciously, manufactured the sight of a gun for attention-seeking purposes.

This is only a gut reaction. The facts are too scant for anything else.

rscottie

This is a huge case of over reaction.

Of course these kids are from DC where only the criminal element can have guns.

It is sad how people have been programmed by the anti-gun movement to view the mere presence of a gun as being a reason to lock down a whole College Campus and scare the crap out of everyone.

Superlite27

At 9:09 a.m. three juveniles attending a camp at the university reported seeing a white male, 6 feet tall, with light brown hair outside of New Residence Hall East holding what may have been a handgun.

The four tiny little words "what may have been" add an interesting element of vagueness.

With these little words....

.....holding what may have been a calculator.

....holding what may have been a caramel apple.

.....holding what may have been a chinchilla dressed in a tiny little polka-dot blouse made sepecifically for it by a well meaning, but obviously overly attached and inappropriately devoted pet owner.

....are all just as equally accurate descriptions of what bystanders may have witnessed.

FarNorth

What a crazy over reaction. This went from "what may have been a gun" to Fox News reporting "Gunman spotted".

Is there any common sense left out there at all?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Here's the perps' real reason for floating this scare: "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to www.vt.edu." They initiated a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack on Virginia Tech. That they did so without touching a computer, much less flooding the Internet with a virus, is sheer genius. What summer camp were those students attending again? DEFCON XIX?

They also managed to shut down an entire university for five hours. Wow. Then again, I suppose any institution, from a rural town to an entire country, could be shut down provided they'd been brain dead, er, "washed" beforehand into believing the exercise of right enumerated in the United States Constitution was somehow a threat.

Is Virginia Tech planning on seceding from the union and rejoining the very anti-gun mother country? I'm sure the U.K. would be as proud to reclaim that tiny patch of anti-Constitutional land as those who rule Virginia Tech are scared of the fact that Virginia is a pro-Constitution state, supporting both concealed and open carry. Pardon me while I, a mid-to-late 1980s VT alumnus and retired U.S. Military Veteran pray to the porcelain god for a moment...

ETA: While typing this, a friend of mine who's still in Blacksburg said via phone they shut down the website because of all the pro-2A comments that were flooding the various message systems throughout the university.

Last edited:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Since9, your comment really made my day! It suggests that despite all the scholarly anti-gun statements and frightening propaganda coming from the university and its anti-gun supporters, many of the students have heard our side of the story and recognize the anti-gun foolishness for what it is. I think we would all love to see a sampling of the pro-2nd comments you describe. Any way your friend has captured some of the comments before the fig leaf went up?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Since9, your comment really made my day! It suggests that despite all the scholarly anti-gun statements and frightening propaganda coming from the university and its anti-gun supporters, many of the students have heard our side of the story and recognize the anti-gun foolishness for what it is.

Thanks! I think the administrators forget that many of the students are from rural areas. Two roommates I had at Tech were from farming families, and both worked summers in the fields, one picking tobacco.

I think we would all love to see a sampling of the pro-2nd comments you describe. Any way your friend has captured some of the comments before the fig leaf went up?

I wish! He's neither a (current) student nor an employee, so he doesn't have access. He does own a local business, and that's how he found out the local systems were flooded with comments, from his student-customers (whom obviously didn't stay inside). I'm not sure what the school's administrators expected after issuing the alert and telling everyone to stay inside. :banghead:

Staying inside was a good thing. Throwing the school down the anti-gun garbage chute, however, is not.

Last edited:

okboomer

[snip some stuff] from his student-customers (whom obviously didn't stay inside). I'm not sure what the school's administrators expected after issuing the alert and telling everyone to stay inside. :banghead:

Staying inside was a good thing. Throwing the school down the anti-gun garbage chute, however, is not.

I have seen this 'not stay inside' activity before ... we hadn't had a tornado in quite some time one spring when the weather station (Gary England) reported that one *might* be headed for town. Well, we went outside to take a look at the clouds to gauge for ourselves whether it was an imminent threat, and found several other neighbors outside looking as well :lol:

Maybe that was what the students were doing ... looking to gauge the immediacy of the threat for themselves :monkey

since9

Campaign Veteran
The three kids that made the report were all from Washington DC. ;)

If so, that explains a lot.

I recall every time I went TDY in the military with a sizeable group of folks, whether it was to a formal schoolhouse for training, or a two-ship to do some off-station work, we'd always get a local area briefing lasting between 2 and 20 minutes. The briefing would sometimes include a few good places to eat and things to do, but would always include the local area "gotches." Virginia Tech should include a brief summer of the firearms laws in Virginia. Nothing detailed, just "don't be idiotically alarmed if you spot someone exercising their Second Amendment rights.

okboomer

But, Since9, that would require someone with no libtard bias to actually think about that beforehand. :banghead: