Thread: Have you thought of this situation

Have you thought of this situation

The other day I got to thinking about how sometimes people impersonate police and will even pull people over. It seems to me by having to inform a LEO that you are armed in this situation could turn out very bad especially if a fake LEO were to disarm you. I think unless I was pulled over by a clearly, well marked police car I would want to make sure whoever's pulling me over was in fact an actual police officer and not someone impersonating. Am I talking crazy over here? Because I could very well see this happening if someone who is carrying runs into a fake cop.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    The other day I got to thinking about how sometimes people impersonate police and will even pull people over. It seems to me by having to inform a LEO that you are armed in this situation could turn out very bad especially if a fake LEO were to disarm you. I think unless I was pulled over by a clearly, well marked police car I would want to make sure whoever's pulling me over was in fact an actual police officer and not someone impersonating. Am I talking crazy over here? Because I could very well see this happening if someone who is carrying runs into a fake cop.
    Personally, I think you would be more likely to be struck by lightning, twice, at the same spot, on the same day. However, if at any time you're getting bad vibs, call 911 and explain the situation. If out at night and you get the red & blues, try to pull over in a well-lit area.

I've thought about that too. Anyone can pick up a cheap cop uniform around halloween or order one online. Then just kick in a door and yell "POLICE!". I don't understand how saying "We identified ourselves as police" could ever be a useful argument in a case against someone. I can identify myself as the pope, even put on a nice pope hat. It doesn't make me the pope.

I don't think you are talking crazy, there are all kinds of evil in the world, some of the evil is dress well and looks respectable, and there intentions are to fool you into believing that you are in no danger.
    I say that you are right, in being cautious of your surroundings and encounters, especially of the ones that give you a gut feeling somethings wrong.

There is a thread around here somewhere discussing some police impersonations around Denver. I don't think you are crazy or off base at all. Most police stations have a non-emergency number you an call to verify the stop is legitimate. If you feel threatened by someone you feel is posing as a police officer call 911.

Edit. Here is the Denver thread.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=93447
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-04-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    few easy ways to spot a fake cop.

#1 the license plate on the cruiser. if its a marked vehicle. it WILL have a "municipal" plate. usually odd in color. with 1-4 digits only.

#2 tone of voice. most cops dont intentionally try to sound official. so if they sound like they are stressing their words, good clue

#3 name tag. most cops have VERY nice name tags issued by the dept. usually with the last name 1st. a period and then first name initial. absence of one of these. is hinky.

#4 BADGE. believe it or not. REAL badges are VERY heavy. and will "sag" a tiny bit on the uniform or tilt towards you, because they weigh about 8-10oz and are made of pure nickel. if it looks cheap. it probably is.

then AGAIN..........as another poster said the odds of running into a FAKE cop.......are 1-10,000. so the info up there is probably useless :-D
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

About $150 and 15 minutes in an Army - Navy store and you can look exactly like a uniformed officer. Some army navy stores are police suppliers and have all the bells and whistles with local emblems and logos.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXDacp View Post
    Personally, I think you would be more likely to be struck by lightning, twice, at the same spot, on the same day. However, if at any time you're getting bad vibs, call 911 and explain the situation. If out at night and you get the red & blues, try to pull over in a well-lit area.
    One hechuva thunderstorm in Norway.

Im not pulling over for anything but a fully decked out cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    One hechuva thunderstorm in Norway.

Im not pulling over for anything but a fully decked out cruiser.
    This isn't Norway and Breivik wasn't in a "fully decked out cruiser" randomly pulling motorists over on public roads and highways before executing them.

For the second part, I strongly recommend you don't commute in Flint and Burton, especially during the DUI and Seat Belt holidays held throughout the year in these areas.