• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newest from the DNR Aug. 4, 2011

Interceptor_Knight

Hey phred, if that works maybe you can also use that with the other DNR possession limits...

This is A fish. This is A fish. This is A fish. ...

This is A deer. This is A deer. This is A deer. ...

Best of luck with the DNR and such reasoning.

There is Admin Code which gives you specific fish and game possession limits. (NR20.18 and NR20.20) No such limit exists for bows or firearms.

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Thank you 'sprocket. I did mean to say ---you can legally hunt with a Thompson Center Encore or Contender and carry either loaded and uncased in a vehicle-------. I most certainly did not intend to imply that hunting with either from a vehicle is legal. Miss McGuilicutty would be embarassed with me.

Captain Nemo

175.60 License to carry a concealed weapon. (1)
DEFINITIONS. In this section:

(bm) “Handgun” means any weapon designed or
redesigned, or made or remade, and intended to be fired
while held in one hand and to use the energy of an explosive
to expel a projectile through a smooth or rifled bore.

Mlutz

175.60 License to carry a concealed weapon. (1)
DEFINITIONS. In this section:

(bm) “Handgun” means any weapon designed or
to expel a projectile through a smooth or rifled bore.

Yep... I can cc my Mossberg 500 J.I.C... WOO!!! Lol.

kevlub

So, I guess I am confused. The DNR publishes that you can not have your handgun while shining, even with a permit. I just looked up Senate Bill 93. In Section 6, 29.314 (3) (a) it states " Prohibition. No person my use or possess with intent to use a light for shining deer, elk, or bear while the person is hunting deer, elk, or bear or in possesion of a firearm that is not a handgun, bow and arrow, or crossbow." Sounds to me they excluded handguns which would make it legal to have a handgun, not legal for longuns, bows, and crossbows. Thoughts?

Interceptor_Knight

So, I guess I am confused. The DNR publishes that you can not have your handgun while shining, even with a permit. I just looked up Senate Bill 93. In Section 6, 29.314 (3) (a) it states " Prohibition. No person my use or possess with intent to use a light for shining deer, elk, or bear while the person is hunting deer, elk, or bear or in possesion of a firearm that is not a handgun, bow and arrow, or crossbow." Sounds to me they excluded handguns which would make it legal to have a handgun, not legal for longuns, bows, and crossbows. Thoughts?

My thought is that you confused because are not looking up ACT 35 (the version of SB93 which actually passed)...
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/document?cite=acts%2F2011%2F35.pdf
The DNR is 100% correct on this point. There were no changes made to Statute 29.314(3)(a)...

29.314 Shining animals.
(1) DEFINITION. As used in this
section:
(a) “Flashlight” means a battery operated light designed to be
carried and held by hand.
(am) “Laser sighting device” means a device for sighting a
firearm that uses light amplification by stimulated emission of
radiation to emit a beam of light that is visible to the human eye.
(b) “Light” includes flashlights, automobile lights and other
lights
(3) SHINING DEER, ELK, OR BEAR WHILE HUNTING OR POSSESSING
WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
(a) Prohibition. No person may use or possess with intent to use a light for shining deer, elk, or bear while
the person is hunting deer, elk, or bear or in possession of a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow.
(b) Exceptions. This subsection does not apply:
1. To a peace officer on official business.
2. To an employee of the department on official business.
3. To a person authorized by the department to conduct a
game census or to observe bear for educational purposes.
4. To the holder of a Class C permit issued under s. 29.193 (2)
(c) 4. who uses a laser sighting device while hunting with a firearm, bow and arrow, or crossbow

Last edited:

phred

Originally, the shining rule was to be amended.

The amended SB93 from May 23rd - after the Senate Judiciary Committee still has the 29.314 changes:
.; to amend 29.089 (2), 29.314 (3) (a), 29.314 7(4) (a), and in SB90 and a change to 29.314 (4)b was in that bill originally too

So, the big change came when the Joint Finance Committee bastardize the bill on June 14th. It was Senate Amendment 2 which does not have any reference to 29.314 - it was left out!!!!! https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/amendments/sb93/ssa2_sb93

Interceptor_Knight

Mlutz

Would you care to demonstrate your marksmanship skills with the Mossberg 500 JIC pistol grip shotgun using only one hand?

No. Nor do I have to to cc it. :p

"(bm) “Handgun” means any weapon designed or
to expel a projectile through a smooth or rifled bore."

Its the same with a "real" pistol, you could easily fire it one handed, but you dont have to. I would guess most people fire with two hands. Don't get me wrong, I shoot one handed all the time, but I dont have to. That doesnt mean it isnt a pistol when I add a second hand on the grip. I'm going to look for the youtube video of a guy shooting a 500 jic one handed. I might just be a little guy, but it has been done. Lol.

Interceptor_Knight

"(bm) “Handgun” means any weapon designed or
to expel a projectile through a smooth or rifled bore."

Its the same with a "real" pistol, you could easily fire it one handed, but you dont have to. I would guess most people fire with two hands. .. That doesnt mean it isnt a pistol when I add a second hand on the grip.

The fact of the matter is, a JIC or any other pistol grip shotgun is not a "handgun". It is irrelevant that you "can" fire it with one hand. It is "intended" to be fired with 2 hands.

CalicoJack10

I think it is important to remember that there are still a lot of people who are scared to death that this new CCW law is going to turn this state into the wild west. Where we have shootouts in the streets and john rambo in the woods.

You should also remember that the woman that is running the DNR got the job with a resume that said "I hunt, and fish" and that was the deciding factor. She knows nothing about the job, but still thinks that she can just run the state parks deciding things on a whim.

Keep in mind I have many friends and family members that work for the DNR, so I have had the chance to meet the box of rocks that is trying to tell people how the DNR should run.

oak1971

I would abolish the DNR entirely. Its run and largely staffed by people diametrically opposed to the very activity the agency is tasked with regulating. Regulate this! :cuss:

Mlutz

Super BUMP! Here is the sticker on my J.I.C box...

Attachments

• mossjic.jpg
    mossjic.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 97