• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illegal sign in York County PUBLIC Library

MKEgal

scouser said:
"B. The following actions are prohibited...
16. Any other illegal acts or conduct in violation of Federal, State or local law, ordinance or regulation."
Aren't they now breaking their own code of conduct by behaving contrary to State Law?

"C. Failure to comply with the Library’s established rules and regulations may result in exclusion from the Library for the day or permanently, and/or in arrest"
perhaps they ought to be arrested per their own policy

I like the way this one thinks! :lol:
When is the next library board / town council meeting?
Take one of the signs for show & tell.
Or better, take all the signs & recycle them. They're not good for anything.

TFred

I'd be tempted to go back to the library, collect ALL the signs, then have a companion videotape you in the act of handing the signs to the librarian on duty, while telling them clearly (for the tape) that the signs are in violation of Virginia law, and you are informing them of such on tape, and if you come back and find them out again, you will swear out a warrant for their arrest.

I don't know if you can actually do that, but neither will they! ;) Maybe someone can tell us if that would work.

TFred

t33j

Just got back from spending over an hour at the Yorktown library.

No signs, no negative interactions, no problems.

45acpForMe

I donated some books last week while OC-ing and didn't have any issues.

I didn't think to look for signs though since I thought their policy was being revised to match state law any sign was moot.

Bubba Ron

Open Carry Reading In...

I wish I found this thread when it started...perhaps we could have had an Open Carry Reading In...

But it seems that all has come to the correct outcome...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I wish I found this thread when it started...perhaps we could have had an Open Carry Reading In...

But it seems that all has come to the correct outcome...

While I'm all for OC, and fully support literacy, I am not sure I would support something like that if it was an in-your-face demonstration held before the library system had been allowed the opportunity to correct their error. On the other hand, a group of concerned OCers attending a Library Board meeting to give comments about the erroneous policy and to urge corrective action would get my support.

It's hard to remember which tactics to use when.

Now that the question of OC (or CC) has been resolved, I think Bubba Ron volunteering to do an OC story-time reading there would be great. I'd even bring the rocking chair if the library does not have one.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While I'm all for OC, and fully support literacy, I am not sure I would support something like that if it was an in-your-face demonstration held before the library system had been allowed the opportunity to correct their error. On the other hand, a group of concerned OCers attending a Library Board meeting to give comments about the erroneous policy and to urge corrective action would get my support.

AS much as I enjoy confrontation, I'd have to agree with you, especially in York. More diplomatic solutions should be and were used...simply out of respect to Sheriff Diggs.