• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olympus WS520M voice recorder

Coach Ike

I decided to buy a voice recorder, not just for open carry, but for at work too (I teach high school science). So far I am leaning to the Olympus WS520M with 8gb internal flash. I am posting this to see if anyone has any experience in the negative (or positive) with this recorder. Hopefully, this won't trigger too many discussions on if you should carry a recorder or not. I have decided I am carrying one and I like the fact that this will record over 21 hours on a single charge, has the rechargeable battery supplied, and has a usb connector built in that will also charge the battery.
thanks in advance for any input.
Ike

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like a good one. I like that it records for 21 hours, that way you don't have to keep making space on it. I have been using a recorder app on my iPhone that requires a password to stop the recording. It works pretty well and keeps one less thing off my belt. How are you going to carry it?

Here's the link to the recorder he's talking about in case anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?fl=&id=1506

Last edited:

Coach Ike

Sounds like a good one. I like that it records for 21 hours, that way you don't have to keep making space on it. I have been using a recorder app on my iPhone that requires a password to stop the recording. It works pretty well and keeps one less thing off my belt. How are you going to carry it?

Here's the link to the recorder he's talking about in case anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?fl=&id=1506

Thanks for the link. I am going to play around with carry options. At work, I will just have it out. I also may use a tie clip microphone so that I can keep it in my pocket and not pick up clothes rustlings.
I plan to turn it on when I get up in the morning and turn it off at bed time, after I download the days recordings on my computer. I will then leave it attached to the computer (to recharge the battery for the next day).
I figure it is better to be safe than sorry, especially with the possibility of made up charges by students/leo and out of control lawyers. I hope I will never need it, but I also feel the same way about fire extinguishers and insurance policies.

shernandez

I have been using my Olympus vn-4100PC for over four years and the only problem I have with it is that it is not Mac compatiable. I work as a reporter so a reliable recorder is very important. It seems like Olympus products have a good reputation.

Coach Ike

Thanks shernandez, I think I am going to go ahead and order it later tonight. Hopefully I will get a few more responses to this if someone has anything bad to say.
be safe

Coach Ike

You'll have to let me know how it is. I've been working up to replacing mine.

I will. It is supposed to get here between the 10th and 15th. Kids come back to school on the 18th and I will be recording all day, every day from then on. (If it works)
You can get lapel/tie clip microphones on ebay for less than 5 dollars but I would like to know if anyone has used any of these cheap ones. The 75 bucks for the recorder was more than I wanted to pay, but I also wanted to get one that had a better reputation and had a chance of doing more, not less, than I wanted/needed.

shernandez

I will. It is supposed to get here between the 10th and 15th. Kids come back to school on the 18th and I will be recording all day, every day from then on. (If it works)
You can get lapel/tie clip microphones on ebay for less than 5 dollars but I would like to know if anyone has used any of these cheap ones. The 75 bucks for the recorder was more than I wanted to pay, but I also wanted to get one that had a better reputation and had a chance of doing more, not less, than I wanted/needed.

I've got a couple of those that I found (for me) work just fine.

Coach Ike

hey did you bought it? how is it working? I am also planning to buy it.

I ordered it. It is supposed to be here sometime between today and Monday. I will give a report on this thread when I get it. I am going to try it without the extra mic first and then I may add the tie clip mic later if I think it is needed.

Coach Ike

I got the recorder today. I have it charging now and will wear it on a neck lanyard tomorrow and see how it works. I have meetings at work off and on all day. I will be able to check out close conversations and longer distance speaking. I will let you know how it works.

Coach Ike

carried the recorder

I carried the recorder on a neck lanyard all day Friday. I had it set on high quality stereo and recorded for 9 hours straight. It still has over 30 hours remaining (starts around 8 gb and still shows 7.1 gb and it also shows the hours/minutes remaining). The battery has 3 bars when full and it still showed 3 bars at the end. It says it will record 21 hours on a charge and I believe it.

I could hear all the side conversations in large groups and the ones that I was speaking to were clear and crisp, even with the group conversations around us. The recorder is very light and I didn't feel it hanging on me at all, sort of felt like the name tag we wear everyday anyway.

Easy use, just flip one slide (off hold) turns it on, hit record and return slide to hold to disable all the keys while recording. Playback on device and the computer using windows media player was simple.

Still lots of features to check out. Hope this helped those looking for a recorder.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Thank you for the information

I carried the recorder on a neck lanyard all day Friday. I had it set on high quality stereo and recorded for 9 hours straight. It still has over 30 hours remaining (starts around 8 gb and still shows 7.1 gb and it also shows the hours/minutes remaining). The battery has 3 bars when full and it still showed 3 bars at the end. It says it will record 21 hours on a charge and I believe it.

I could hear all the side conversations in large groups and the ones that I was speaking to were clear and crisp, even with the group conversations around us. The recorder is very light and I didn't feel it hanging on me at all, sort of felt like the name tag we wear everyday anyway.

Easy use, just flip one slide (off hold) turns it on, hit record and return slide to hold to disable all the keys while recording. Playback on device and the computer using windows media player was simple.

Still lots of features to check out. Hope this helped those looking for a recorder.

I appreciate these reviews. I need to buy another recorder. Maybe this one would be it.

Badger Johnson

Olympus has several models. Be sure you get the one with download/upload capabilities (USB port). The cheaper one does not have this. It's useless for our purposes without the capability to save important stuff off line. I think one of the better models as a 'voice detect' and turns if off no conversation - might be a good option, though typically these miss the first few words.

HTH

Coach Ike

This model has the retractable usb and also comes with an extension cable so you don't have to hang the recorder directly by the port. It is real easy to copy the file to your home computer for archiving. It also has the voice activated recording, but the rechargeable battery lasts for over 20 hours and recharges in about 3 hours even if it is totally drained.
It has 5 files (if you go to different events) and you can index any file, at anytime, as many times as you want, during recording. I am saving my files by date on my home computer for future needs that may arise. I was going to erase if nothing notable happened, but then I thought maybe something notable did happen and I just didn't notice. I will probably keep all of them for 6 months or so, then delete them.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
What is the size of one day's file?

This model has the retractable usb and also comes with an extension cable so you don't have to hang the recorder directly by the port. It is real easy to copy the file to your home computer for archiving. It also has the voice activated recording, but the rechargeable battery lasts for over 20 hours and recharges in about 3 hours even if it is totally drained.
It has 5 files (if you go to different events) and you can index any file, at anytime, as many times as you want, during recording. I am saving my files by date on my home computer for future needs that may arise. I was going to erase if nothing notable happened, but then I thought maybe something notable did happen and I just didn't notice. I will probably keep all of them for 6 months or so, then delete them.

Storage space is pretty cheap. What is the size of one day's file?

Coach Ike

Storage space is pretty cheap. What is the size of one day's file?

On Friday, I recorded for just under 9 hours and it showed that I had 7.1 gb left. I don't think it has a true 8 gb available, so I know it had to be less than .9 gb. And that was on stereo/high quality. It has several different settings both higher quality and lower. Stereo/hq is somewhere in the middle. You can go up to a quality that only records about 3 hours on 8 gb. I don't know when you would use that, unless you were trying to get close to recording studio quality and then you would need a good external mic.

Last edited: