• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good news...first handgun purchase next week

spiderjohn

Hey Now,

Due to some good fortune shining on me (for a change!) I will be purchasing my first handgun next week! I've settled on a Springfield XD .45 compact 4" barrel w/the 10 round and extended 13 round mags. I just wish SA would put out a XDm compact .45.

Anyways, I'm going to take some more retention and technique classes before I open carry but it won't be long until I join the ranks of you OC'ers.

Any suggestions on an OWB holster for the XD .45 compact? Only holster I've tried is the Blackhawk Serpa and it was okay but it was using a glock. Only thing I found with it was the during our CHP class the instructor had us drawing out of holsters...me being left handed all he had was the serpa for me. Everyone else had normal holsters. I found sometimes when I tried to draw I pulled the whole holster but I think it was just a matter of learning the proper technique. By the end I was getting better.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Great choice!!! My first handgun was a original Springfield XD45. Outstanding gun that I still carry quite often, fifteen handguns later.

Northerner

IMO Don't buy your first handgun at a Gun Show (assumption on my part since there are several shows this weekend). You want to be able to go back to where ever you bought it from for whatever reason. Buying at a gun show is generally not cheaper and generally they are from some place else far away in the State or even out of State.

IMO, if you have already bought your Springfield, do bring it to a gun show (condition 4 and cleared by the Po po or Sheriff), and try it on any and every vendor selling holsters. Try to dress as you would when you carry.

I prefer my SERPA retention holster for my glock 23 for OC. Don't forget a mag holder for your second magazine too!

nobama

I would lean heavily on a level 2 retention holster for OC. Serpa is by far a very popular one, there are also several nice leather level 2 holsters out there.

Northerner

I would lean heavily on a level 2 retention holster for OC. Serpa is by far a very popular one, there are also several nice leather level 2 holsters out there.

Agree. If you look at leather, there are a few that incorporate an adjustable screw for better retention settings. Normally with leather, you would have to get it wet a few times a year to maintain good retention (if you tend to move it in and out of the holster frequently).

spiderjohn

no gun show for me

IMO Don't buy your first handgun at a Gun Show (assumption on my part since there are several shows this weekend). You want to be able to go back to where ever you bought it from for whatever reason. Buying at a gun show is generally not cheaper and generally they are from some place else far away in the State or even out of State.

IMO, if you have already bought your Springfield, do bring it to a gun show (condition 4 and cleared by the Po po or Sheriff), and try it on any and every vendor selling holsters. Try to dress as you would when you carry.

I prefer my SERPA retention holster for my glock 23 for OC. Don't forget a mag holder for your second magazine too!

It will be Bud's...tried at local gun shops but they want up to $100 more....

Smith45acp

Spider I've always been a 1911 guy, but after picking up a buddy's xd45 and trying it out I fell in love.

Not long after I picked up XDm's in 9 and 45. Both are full size (I hate guns that don't fit my hand)

I put a Springer Precision trigger kit in the 45 and it was well worth the 130 bucks.

Just for comparison's sake I'm sending the 9 in to Powder River to get their in house trigger job.

I find myself carrying the XDm45 as my primary more than my 1911 :shocker:

I just love how tough it is. When I'm working on my car or truck and rolling around on the ground I just take it out of my waistband and toss it to the side. Wipe it off and put it back when I'm done and she always goes bang!

spiderjohn

Spider I've always been a 1911 guy, but after picking up a buddy's xd45 and trying it out I fell in love.

Not long after I picked up XDm's in 9 and 45. Both are full size (I hate guns that don't fit my hand)

I put a Springer Precision trigger kit in the 45 and it was well worth the 130 bucks.

Just for comparison's sake I'm sending the 9 in to Powder River to get their in house trigger job.

I find myself carrying the XDm45 as my primary more than my 1911 :shocker:

I just love how tough it is. When I'm working on my car or truck and rolling around on the ground I just take it out of my waistband and toss it to the side. Wipe it off and put it back when I'm done and she always goes bang!

bought the xd 45 compact today..along with a holster and new belt! :):lol: