• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S.Orange County Newbie looking to get some info on OC in the area

mloebrich

I have been an owner of many weapons for 20+ years and am very responsible. The idea of open carry intrigues me and it is my right. I am just looking for some insight about my area in Foothill Ranch if anyone has OC'd here before.

Last edited:

Firemark

Welcome, there is an orangecounty OC group they can be found on Facebook, that might be a good place to start for info about your area. Some fairly common recommendations prior to venturing out and exercising your 2nd and 1st ammendment rights OC'ing.

1) Research over risk- Open Carry currently in CA is sort of like being a mixed race couple walking down the streets of America circa 1955. Things to expect, law enforcement encounters (bad and good) disdain and fear or even disgust. Many people recommend spending at least several weeks reading as many threads on this forum as well as Calguns in relation to open carry. check out www.responsiblecitizensofcalifornia.org and read all of their forum posts. Watch at least several dozen youtube videos of open carry encounters and their comments, and completly understand the entire CA penal code as it relates to firearms. Study all the LE training bulletins posted on californiaOpencarry.org front page. PLEASE DO ALL OF THIS BEFORE attempting to go out and OC.

2) Find experienced OC'ers to go out with first few times, be prepared with both a lawyer and money to go to court if falsely arrested and accused of a crime, have 2 reliable recording devices on you recording while carrying, 1 must be video.

3) Be prepared to be a goodwill ambassador and teacher of 2A rights and a proponent of carrying and engage citizens and LE you meet with your knowledge and pamphlets. Dress the part, California bussiness casual, not red neck gun nut camoflouge. :eek: Be prepared to be Hot stopped or felony stopped by overzealous Law enforcement.

4) learn verbal judo techniques for dealing with LE that over step their authority. Carry sterile, (no Identification, and never give your name to LE for your own safety)

These are just some of the things off the top of my head from myself and others who have been doing this awhile. Much work has been done before you got here and much more still needs to be done.

oc4ever

Watch out for the "green meanies"

Welcome to the forum. Just be warned that some OC'ers have had some bad contacts with OC Sheriff's in south county. Some of the Deputies still do not seem up to speed on OC laws, and will handcuff you first, ask questions later. Though many Deputies seem to be pro-gun, not all of them will follow the law. Their training bulletin on the subject is not completely accurate. It suggest allowing overstepping past the weapon loaded check on running your gun serial number, and they will all demand ID, and take it from you while handcuffed, so don't carry any if not driving. Just make sure you know all the schools to avoid the numerous GFSZ everywhere, have a recording device running while doing this, especially if alone. If you do OC in this suburban environment, some soccer mom is definitely going to call the Sheriff,and you will probably sooner than later get to meet your local green uniformed LEO who will likely be in a poor mood.Yes I know this sounds biased, but a group OC situation is probably the best way to go if you don't have a free attorney. The elected Sheriff is NOT progun at all, so you won't get any sympathy from Headquarters in Santa Ana.

Last edited:

mloebrich

Thank you both for your replies. I will look up the Orange County group and get in contact with them. Also, I have watched just about all the videos on youtube, been a member of calguns for years and read as many threads on OC that I can find. This has been something that I have always followed and now would really like to get involved in. Again Thanks for both of your replies and I will take all of the great advice given.

OC KIMBER

OCing in the OC

Look us up on our facebook Page when we have invents we post them on here it is also a good place to connect and get info on other OC groups.....Orangecounty Opencarry on FB