• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More questions about open carry.

user345678

I am a newly educated gal in the regards of OC. Can I OC with a round in the chamber? I have my pamphlet and laws printed out and in my car just in case I have an encounter. As far as I have read, I can OC pretty much anywhere on public property with the exception of K-12 schools(unless I am dropping off/picking up) and I have to be 1000' away. I can also OC on private property unless the owner/business objects. Did I miss anything? I OC for the first time on my way fishing and had to stop and get gas at the maverick in IF. Nothing happened but I was so nervous I kept dropping the windshield cleaner. Can any of you recommend any additional firearms training?

Thanks!!!

Amy

ecocks

Yes, you can carry with one in the chamber and a magazine loaded.

Read your pamphlet and don't hesitate to ask other questions.

ecocks

Sorry, forgot to mention the training you might want to think about.

Call or drop by RK Gunsmithing in Nampa. Robert provides quality training and familiarization exercises that will work you out a bit.

Oh, and the nerves will pass. In the beginning it seems like everyone is staring at you but they're probably just noticing you seem nerved up.

Keep your hand off your gun (it won't jump out or move around or anything) and Smile a LOT!

Last edited:

user345678

Thanks again! I dont know if I can make it to Nampa as I am in Idaho Falls. Im used to the stares...as a 6'3/180lb redheaded gal I get that alot...lol. I hope it works to my advantage...I think I intimidate people already and now Im adding OC to the mix. Should make for interesting interactions! Im slowly coming out of the sheeple mode and my main concern(probably attributed to my feminine nature) is someone coming up behind me and trying to get my gun. I holster it at the 5:30 position. I really only OC when Im on my way out to go fishing as I have encountered a ton of weirdos out there; even as benign as Idaho is. Has anyone taken the Utah CCpermit class? Is it necessary to get that license vs the Idaho CC permit? I thought a lot of states recognized Idaho's license.

Amy

DocWalker

Thanks again! I dont know if I can make it to Nampa as I am in Idaho Falls. Im used to the stares...as a 6'3/180lb redheaded gal I get that alot...lol. I hope it works to my advantage...I think I intimidate people already and now Im adding OC to the mix. Should make for interesting interactions! Im slowly coming out of the sheeple mode and my main concern(probably attributed to my feminine nature) is someone coming up behind me and trying to get my gun. I holster it at the 5:30 position. I really only OC when Im on my way out to go fishing as I have encountered a ton of weirdos out there; even as benign as Idaho is. Has anyone taken the Utah CCpermit class? Is it necessary to get that license vs the Idaho CC permit? I thought a lot of states recognized Idaho's license.

Amy

Wow lots of questions.

1. The Utah CC permit is one of the best next to Florida. You can check all the information on the main page of which states accept what.

2. They are having a Utah CC class in Nampa next month and they have them all over the country, even seen them advertized in Wisconson.

3. Utah change their rules to state you need to have your state CWP or CC permit before getting a Utah one. This is all about money and other states not getting their toes stepped on.

4. If you get your Idaho CWP then get your Utah you should be good most places except California and Oregon. Oregon is simple in you only need to have your idaho and you can get your Oregon CWP with a simple application. Again they want their share of the pie, but if you don't go to Oregon don't worry about it. That being said Washington State accepts Utahs CWP but not Idaho's; go figure.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

hermannr

WA's problem with ID is the under 21 thing. Not a real problem. If you need (probably not if you live in Idaho Falls) a WA permit they are $55.25 for 5 years. just show up at any county sheriff's office. Depends on the county, but could be same day, could be a bit longer, but is must issue.

Doesn't matter anyway, in WA you can OC loaded anywhere (no fed court house etc of course) but in a vehicle without a CPL. You can OC in a vehicle as long as the gun is unloaded, but you can the bullets/magizine on the seat next to you. The unloading part is the bummer.

6'3" redhead female, sounds Norse: not intimatating at all! Happy carrying.