Thread: Jury convicts 5 officers in post-Katrina shootings

Jury convicts 5 officers in post-Katrina shootings

"When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Banned
    The jury spoke. Now the former officers need to be punished.

I hope the judge values our Liberties enough to sentence them to the maximum, sending the message that agents of the State must respect the rights of the people.

Founder's Club Member
    Glad to hear some murderers are being held accountable.

Just for perspective, I would like to ask a few rhetorical questions. Food for thought, as it were:

What do you suppose are the odds that the only four bad cops in the entire department happened to respond to that bridge that day? And that only the four bad cops in the entire department just happened to be nearby enough to respond, all on the same shift.

And, that the only investigator in the entire department willing to cover up was assigned to investigate?

For an interesting take on police investigating police, and honest cops see this article.
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-05-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

Just for perspective, I would like to ask a few rhetorical questions. Food for thought, as it were:

What do you suppose are the odds that the only four bad cops in the entire department happened to respond to that bridge that day? And that only the four bad cops in the entire department just happened to be nearby enough to respond, all on the same shift.

And, that the only investigator in the entire department willing to cover up was assigned to investigate?

For an interesting take on police investigating police, and honest cops see this article.
    Rhetorical answer to your question:

IT WENT AND GOES ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

All five officers were convicted of charges stemming from the cover-up of the shootings. The four who had been charged with civil rights violations in the shootings were convicted on all counts.However, the jury didn't find that Brisette or Faulcon's shootings amounted to murder.
    A total of 20 current or former New Orleans police officers were charged last year in a series of federal probes.

Actually, they WERE NOT convicted of murder, they were convicted of violating Citizens Civil Rights and trying to cover up the shooting. There was a total of 20 officers under indictment.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    Actually, they WERE NOT convicted of murder, they were convicted of violating Citizens Civil Rights and trying to cover up the shooting. There was a total of 20 officers under indictment.
    Even though not convicted they are murderers. Sigh, wish they were convicted for that though. ( not meaning to be argumentative, just using your post as a jumping off point for my statement)
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

It's a start.
    Now to get them sentenced to nice _long_ terms... and they can choose to be in the general population, or solitary.

I wish all the officers & military members who trampled people's rights (post-Katrina, but also in general) would at the very least have to appear in front of a judge. Might only get their hands slapped, but they might run afoul of a judge who believes in upholding the law / Constitution, & end up with some jail time.

Activist Member
    I still highly respect LEO's even though there are more than a few dozen corrupted officials. Yes we can look at this and say LEO's are bad and blah blah. BUT that would be thinking the same way as being raciest. I look at these corrupted people as criminals in disguise pretty much and their turn will come sooner or later. It is great relief we have less corrupted officers on the streets, but at the same its hard to think that people who took an oath to protect and serve have turned to corruption.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Even though not convicted they are murderers. Sigh, wish they were convicted for that though. ( not meaning to be argumentative, just using your post as a jumping off point for my statement)
    I agree, I had to delete a WHOLE bunch before I posted
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Quote Originally Posted by DWCook View Post
    I still highly respect LEO's even though there are more than a few dozen corrupted officials. Yes we can look at this and say LEO's are bad and blah blah. BUT that would be thinking the same way as being raciest. I look at these corrupted people as criminals in disguise pretty much and their turn will come sooner or later. It is great relief we have less corrupted officers on the streets, but at the same its hard to think that people who took an oath to protect and serve have turned to corruption.
    There are a lot more than a "few dozen." NOPD was known before to be corrupt--including the pos that was the chief. This is the tip of the iceberg in that department. The facts suggest way too many who took that oath are nothing but scum. That is not a broadbrush indictment of all cops, but too many are painted with the title. Today's media makes it harder for them to hide it, that's the key component. The judge has the opportunity to sentence them to virtually any term he chooses. Let's see how it comes out.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V