• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon State Fair

We-the-People

You do know that this forum is OpenCarry.org, don't you? It's about the open carry of firearms.

An sum'un us jest plain dernt like beeun sneaky bast**#ds and hiding such downright awful dangerous thangs about us as guns and such. That's whut dem durn gang bangin types do and wur not wantun ta look like them!

Dogbait

Has anyone designated a meeting area for before time?

I sent a pm to historyman to get him to check the thread and get more information to us. I don't frequent Salem so I don't know any places. :(

Sent from my HTC EVO

Last edited:

dakaham

Whoa there

I think you guys are heading into a situation that is gonna deliver quite a bit of bad press. You are going to openly violate city "law"(yes like it or not salem has a ban on OC). And then you are going to probably have to "sneak" weapons into the fair to get past the gate. This is a huge event over loaded with LEO's. What good do you see coming out of this? Your faces plastered on the portland news? News paper headlines about a bunch of "gun nuts" trying to prove a point? While i agree with you in principle your method on this one is a bit lacking. We need to exercise our legal rights i agree, but violating city law is violating city law and thats not what we should be about. . That needs to be challenged in court not at the fair. Our best weapon in this fight is that we are law abiding citizens. The potential for this to go wrong is way to high. I wish you all luck but i wont go near this one at all.

Dogbait

Salem has a loaded firearm ordinance for loaded OC without a permit. Unloaded is allowed. Loaded with a CHL is ALLOWED. I fail to see where we will be violating the cities ordinances...

Sent from my HTC EVO

We-the-People

I think you guys are heading into a situation that is gonna deliver quite a bit of bad press. You are going to openly violate city "law"(yes like it or not salem has a ban on OC). And then you are going to probably have to "sneak" weapons into the fair to get past the gate. This is a huge event over loaded with LEO's. What good do you see coming out of this? Your faces plastered on the portland news? News paper headlines about a bunch of "gun nuts" trying to prove a point? While i agree with you in principle your method on this one is a bit lacking. We need to exercise our legal rights i agree, but violating city law is violating city law and thats not what we should be about. . That needs to be challenged in court not at the fair. Our best weapon in this fight is that we are law abiding citizens. The potential for this to go wrong is way to high. I wish you all luck but i wont go near this one at all.

Salems anti-OC ordinance is VOID if it prohibits carry as the only thing they can regulate is the carry of LOADED firearms by non CHL holders. I think you will find that it only prohibits carry of loaded firearms and exempts CHL holders. See ORS 166.170 and 166.173 for the State LAW.

I myself have carried, locked and loaded, on the steps of the Capital in Salem. While a state police officer did observe me later when I was down on the grass, no contact was made.

We go by the LAW on this forum and we CITE the law when we make a claim about what it says. Plase CITE the Salem law that "bans OC" as you stated in your first ever post on OCDO.

We-the-People

I'm such a nice guy.....I went and got the Salem law as regards firearms. As you can see, unloaded without a CHL or loaded with a CHL, Salem does NOT prohbit OC. If they tried, to go further than the law they have on the books, ORS 166.173 would render it VOID.

Now, do we have a 1 post troll or just a noob that doesn't understand the laws yet?

95.095. Loaded Firearms.
...(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a loaded firearm, whether the shell or cartridge is a blank or is live ammunition,
........while in a public place as defined in ORS 161.015.
...(b) Nothing in subsection (a) shall apply to:
........(1) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
........(2) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
........(3) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
........(4) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.
........(5) A government employee or contractor of the City of Salem engaged in flight safety hazard abatement to comply
.............with Chapter 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 139.337 at McNary Field. (Ord No. 29-96; Ord No. 54-05)

Teddybearfrmhell

I'm such a nice guy.....I went and got the Salem law as regards firearms. As you can see, unloaded without a CHL or loaded with a CHL, Salem does NOT prohbit OC. If they tried, to go further than the law they have on the books, ORS 166.173 would render it VOID.

Now, do we have a 1 post troll or just a noob that doesn't understand the laws yet?

95.095. Loaded Firearms.
...(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to possess a loaded firearm, whether the shell or cartridge is a blank or is live ammunition,
........(4) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.
........(5) A government employee or contractor of the City of Salem engaged in flight safety hazard abatement to comply
.............with Chapter 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 139.337 at McNary Field. (Ord No. 29-96; Ord No. 54-05)

looks like ULOADED is fine and loaded with CHL is fine....hmmmmmm looks like 1 post was enough to get it wrong huh?

We-the-People

Well we shall see if 1 post becomes more and the individual was simply uninformed of the law...maybe they asked an LEO or gunstore?

On the other hand, could be a brady type or some other anti that is trying to cast doubts into the minds of OCers considering going.

dakaham

2 post newb

95.095. Loaded Firearms.

So looks like those without thier CHL will be carrying paper weight in order to follow the law. Hope you can throw that gun hard! And so you know i am far from anything relating to brady or any of the other gun hating libs. I open carry daily. So adjust the meds and get that paranoia under control.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
So looks like those without thier CHL will be carrying paper weight in order to follow the law. Hope you can throw that gun hard!

They'll be able to carry full magazines and an unloaded firearm. If they keep their situational awareness about them then at least they'll have a better chance to protect their life than if they left their sidearm at home. Also by open carrying and being a normal person they'll be showing people that good guys carry guns.

Teddybearfrmhell

.... And so you know i am far from anything relating to brady or any of the other gun hating libs. I open carry daily.....

i am very pleased to know that you are not one of the liberal gun hating bradyites but rather just uninformed about the law that you were posting about and even less informed about the unloaded carry and its limitations. great job on your second post!

dakaham

so what happens

have my tickets to the fair right here on the back of it "Conditions of accceptance: This ticket is a license and may be revoked and admission can be refused". So what are you all going to do when they ask you to leave? Just like any store you enter with open carry or concealed. If they ask you to leave and you dont they will call the police and have you trespassed then what? Again not saying not to try it but to me its sounding like a "pick your battles" situation. I know its on public property but they are going to treat it as a private event. I wish you all luck but i still see this ending badly for those involved. Whatever you all decide to do dont cause a scene that will do more harm to the cause than good. Again this is a huge event and what you are doing has the potential to cause a media stir that could back fire in an already way to liberal state. Its pretty obvious by our governor and state legislature who is in charge here so until we can clean out the state house we should be cautious on how we approach these issues.

Teddybearfrmhell

have my tickets to the fair right here on the back of it "Conditions of accceptance: This ticket is a license and may be revoked and admission can be refused". So what are you all going to do when they ask you to leave? Just like any store you enter with open carry or concealed. If they ask you to leave and you dont they will call the police and have you trespassed then what? Again not saying not to try it but to me its sounding like a "pick your battles" situation. I know its on public property but they are going to treat it as a private event. I wish you all luck but i still see this ending badly for those involved. Whatever you all decide to do dont cause a scene that will do more harm to the cause than good. Again this is a huge event and what you are doing has the potential to cause a media stir that could back fire in an already way to liberal state. Its pretty obvious by our governor and state legislature who is in charge here so until we can clean out the state house we should be cautious on how we approach these issues.

so now its going to end badly for entirely DIFFERENT reasons than your original post?

btw the state fair is held on public property and is managed by the state parks and recs dept..... looking like it is a public venue and their rules aint gonna fly if you have a CHL... nice try tho

dakaham

so now its going to end badly for entirely DIFFERENT reasons than your original post?

btw the state fair is held on public property and is managed by the state parks and recs dept..... looking like it is a public venue and their rules aint gonna fly if you have a CHL... nice try tho

For 1 thing im not talking about CHL! We are talking about open carry....nice try tho! Whoever open carries at this will be confronted by a leo. that will be gauranteed. Even you should be able to see that teddy. If you conceal carry no one will know anyway.

Teddybearfrmhell

For 1 thing im not talking about CHL! We are talking about open carry....nice try tho! Whoever open carries at this will be confronted by a leo. that will be gauranteed. Even you should be able to see that teddy. If you conceal carry no one will know anyway.

if you have a chl NONE of the local laws against open carry apply to you... the chl is EXEMPT, so you can open carry with the chl....... nice try yourself!

Last edited:

Dogbait

My brain just melted.

Have we figured out a meeting spot before hand?

Sent from my HTC EVO

We-the-People

@ Dakaham

Here's a link to the ORS regarding firearms regulations in Oregon. I would suggest reading 166.170, 166.73, 166.250, 166.260 at a minimum.

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

The ONLY part of the Salem code that is different from ORS is tha they have chosen under 166.173 to prohibit loaded carry by non CHL holders. Since Oregon is a Shall Issue state, most of us have our CHL's for the added benefit of being able to ignore such local regulations.

As Tedde stated, Oregon State Fair is a public venue.

As it is operated by a politcal subdivision of the state, they can not restrict firearms like a private venue could.

As for conact by an LEO, since it is not unlawful to carry and Salem regulations do not grant authority to do a "load condition check" they would have no RAS to detain an individual. Any contact would therfore have to be under "consensual" conditions and ID is not required, nor is consenting to the contact.

It's really quite simple. This is OREGON, OPEN CARRY IS LEGAL.

Last edited:

Dogbait

I haven't heard back from historyman but I would still like to make this event happen. I suggest we meet up at Starbucks, 1134 Lancaster Drive NE, Salem, OR 97301
http://m.google.com/u/m/AWLibN ....
On Friday (26th) around 11:30ish have a cup of coffee(or tea) and discuss the game plan eventually heading to the fair grounds. Bring the family so they can enjoy the fair activities :)

Edit: pm or reply if you are able to make it :D

Last edited: