• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Golden Corral 12th Street Ogden

ThatOneChick

*Sigh* Here we go again.

Been going to Golden Corral on 12th-ish and Washington for a bit now. Absolutely no problems, the employees have been great, customers have been great and I've had a few discussions about my weapon and Utah law.

Yesterday, a couple of customers complained to management. One stated my weapon "scared his little girl" and he was "going to call the cops". Management, much to my elated surprise, stated I wasn't breaking any laws and they weren't going to do anything about it. I was so happy about that, that I was even thinking of staging an OC meet there and planned on speaking with owner/management today.

Well! One of the higher ups informed my fiance (not me!) that, per owner, my weapon was not allowed there any more. "Golden Corral is a family restaurant and we promote family values and morals. Weapons don't have a place here." my fiance reiterates to me. "They're going to put up signs." Pfft...

Emailed Corporate asking what their stance is. We'll see what they have to say about the matter then, I'll have a chat with the owner.

I am, however, a bit confused. Searching through the forums, it looks as though there have been plenty OC meets at other Golden Corrals with absolutely no problem. Quite aggravating if you ask me.

MKEgal

I've eaten @ GC in a city just west of Milwaukee many times with absolutely no problem.
I'd think that with their support of veterans (free dinner on veterans' day), they'd be in favor of civil rights & supporting the Constitution.

Is that one store owned / managed by an anti, or are all stores corporate & are declaring themselves anti-rights, anti-Constitution, anti-family?
(Anti-family? Yes. As one of Oleg Volks' pictures says, protection of children is a basic parental reaponsibility.)
If the GC corporate guy doesn't think his family is worth protecting, that's his problem. But he can't impose his lack of thought on customers, at least not without a problem.

jpm84092

No Problems in the Salt Lake Valley - at least at the Meet-N-Greets I have attended.

We have had a few meet-n-greets featuring open carry at a few of the Golden Corrals in Salt Lake County. Management appreciated the business and if any of the other patrons noticed, they didn't say anything - that is except for one guy at a meet-n-greet who wanted more information on open carry and obtaining a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit. The gang happily pointed out that for this meet-n-greet there was a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor with them.

ThatOneChick

@MKEgal: Not sure if he's anti or what. Corporate very kindly *eye roll* forwarded my Email to the owner. I don't know why they did that, I was asking if they had a policy or if they left it up to local laws/owners.

@jpm84092: I was thinking maybe we should stage another OC meet at this GC and get as many people as we can. What are they going to do? Turn down 50+ people? That's a lot of profit they'd miss out on.

ManInBlack

"Golden Corral is a family restaurant and we promote family values and morals. Weapons don't have a place here."

Oh, yeah, because protecting oneself and one's family isn't a "family value."

How offensive.

I would ask them if they planned to hire round-the-clock armed security to provide protection to all of the families with little kids who dine there. :banghead:

DocWalker

Oh, yeah, because protecting oneself and one's family isn't a "family value."

This quote is almost funny in that according to him George Washington was a terriable family man but Hitler (who took weapons away from the law abiding public) is was a good family man.

So he would welcome Hitler but not George Washington based on his views about guns.

Last edited:

ThatOneChick

@ManInBlack: I agree. What's next, I wonder? Dress code? Since it's offensive to me to see what some people wear out in public. Maybe I should complain.

@DocWalker: It's funny how illogical people can be.

Still no reply from Corporate other than the "We forwarded your complaint to the Golden Corral of your visit". No reply from the owner of said GC. Hmph.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thank you, JPM. This will be my first time setting anything up but, I'll make a new post with the details. If you, or anyone else, has any input, I'm all ears. Nervous about this, actually lol.

If you post it, they will come.

You don't need a crowd sufficient to warrant chartering a bus to take them there and home again. Even you and one other is a good start. One of the points (besides fellowship, good food, and a feeling of satisfaction in having actually pulled it off) for holding an OC meal is quietly demonstrating to management and staff that you are not only "the good guys" but probably some of the nicest folks they have ever had the pleasure of serving.

I've talked with servers and management at the places we frequent (Saturday breakfasts & monthly dinners), and especially when we go to new places, about how they perceive us. While very rarely the issue of guns comes up as something they were initially concerned about, what seems to be a constant is that as a group and as individuals we are seen as friendlier and more polite than the average customer. The folks who bring their kids almost always get complimented on how well behaved the little ones are, which almost always embarasses the parent because they just figure that's the way kids are supposed to behave. I guess an armed society is a polite society.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

stay safe.

carracer

There is a thread going on in the Missouri section about a Golden Corral recently being posted with signs. Several emails resulted in the sign being taken down.

ThatOneChick

@carracer: Ugh! I thought I replied to you but, guess not. Thank you so much for sharing that information.

@NavyLCDR: I absolutely agree. I cannot empathize with how people think that weapons automatically imply a person is "bad" -- especially since I do have my CCWP and did pass the background check. As DocWalker stated in their example involving Hitler and disarming citizens, many other examples come to mind: Mao Zedong, Stalin, Qin Shi Huang -- all of which had committed many atrocities toward the people! "One man with a gun can control 100 without one." ~Vladimir Lenin