• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mandatory carry - against polar bears

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
I just read this story and wished these people would give lessons to our government.

"Attacks are not uncommon, and according to unique warning signs it is illegal to leave a human settlement without carrying a gun."

"According to Norway's TV2, Friday's attack was the first deadly polar bear attack on Svalbard since 1995. Chapple's death brings to five the number of people killed on the archipelago since 1973, when polar bears became a protected species, it reported."

We lose about 50,000 to violence a year, or 1,900,000 since 1973. They've lost 5 and require you to be armed to mitigate the risk.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
The entire article is about the danger from bears. 5 deaths, since 1973. Because of that danger they require that those going out and about in that area must carry a firearm. 5 deaths in 38 years. The US has experienced about 1.9 MILLION violent deaths during that same time and we have to constantly be on guard against those who would restrict our right to carry.

Maybe we should import some polar bears.

Seigi

I don't think that they'd fare well in Louisiana weather. ;) Maybe up there where you live...

I'm not a fan of the notion of mandatory armaments. Even setting aside that its a government decree and thereby offends my sense of liberty, a person who doesn't want a weapon is unlikely to train with it, maintain it, or be of a proper mindset to use it during the short window of opportunity when they need it. Shooting a bear doesn't evoke the same reluctance as shooting a human, even if both are to save one's own life. Those tall tales about weapons being used against their owners? I think that they get a bit shorter if the owner genuinely doesn't have the will to use them, even when terrified.

That said, it's quite nice to see a government recognizing weapons as useful tools rather than sources of human evil. Maybe we can import some Norwegians?