• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Day

livetrapper13

Had a few adventures today!

Today started off fairly well, my buddy and I went fishing in the morning as we do often. After the fish stopped biting, and our stomachs started grumbling, we headed home and decided to stop at the local diner on the way. As I walked through the door I took notice of where everybody was seated, and was surprised to see 3 LEO's seated at a table having breakfast. Of course the only table open was right next to the officers, so when we walked past them (my XD in a BLACKHAWK! holster on their side) I raised my hand in greeting and smiled. One of the officers nodded back and dropped his gaze back to his breakfast. The other two looked at us for a few seconds before continuing with their conversation. They didn't give us another glance for the duration of our stay. When we left the diner my buddy looked at me and said, "Ha, they don't care! I won't be afraid to carry anymore now!" I am glad they realized that we were just honest law-abiding citizens exercising our rights. A job well done on their part!

After I dropped my friend off, I stopped by the Bank and then Wal-Mart to pick up a new speaker to replace a blown one in my car. Both were typical, without anything out of the ordinary, well except for the gorgeous cashier at Wally World! Anyways...

I got off work at five, and headed down to Harbor Freight with my mom to pick up a trailer jack. I found the one I was looking for and waited in line at the only register open, with 10 other people to boot! While waiting, I realized that I had left my money from the bank in the car, so I went out to get it. As I was heading through the door a person in line with a rowdy kid said very loudly, "You had better behave or I'll set that guy after you. He's got a gun!". I could just feel all the eyes in the store looking at me. I turned and chuckled, more from the look on my mom's face than what he had said! So I got the money and got back in line, until it was time to pay. As I was paying, the next guy in line kept creeping closer. He then held onto a shelf with one hand and kinda leaned close in towards me. I wanted to say something to the effect of 'back off', but all I could think of was 'THATS %$&*^&% CLOSE ENOUGH!'; so I just stayed silent and rested my elbow on my Springfield. I think he got the subtle message because he backed off a step or two.

So...
Things I learned today,
#1 - Some (or most) LEO's don't really care! (Good Thing)
#2 - Some people have big mouths (Bad Thing)
#3 - Think of things to say to people who get to close

M-Taliesin

Had a few adventures today!
<Snip>
So...
Things I learned today,
#1 - Some (or most) LEO's don't really care! (Good Thing)
#2 - Some people have big mouths (Bad Thing)
#3 - Think of things to say to people who get to close

Howdy Trapper!
Glad to hear you had a terrific day today. Glad everything worked out for you.
Just want to correct your #1 above: Cops do care. They care whether you are likely to be a criminal or engaged in criminal behavior or about to commit a crime. Seeing as you did not pose any threat of criminal behavior, they may have remained wary, but accorded you the appropriate level of deference for law abiding citizens. But saying they don't care is really inaccurate. Kinda like saying they were careless cops. I'll wager a Morgan dollar that all three went up one or two colors on the awareness scale when you boys walked in, and remained in a heightened state of alert until you were no longer in the location. They may have said nothing, nor given any overt outward sign, but rest assured, you were still on their radar.

People with big mouths are everywhere. I've often wondered why more of them do not have powder burns on their lips from shooting off their mouths as much as they do. Fortunately for me, I tend to be real quick with a retort. I can sling rhetoric with the best of 'em. Mostly, those folks with more mouth than brains can be simply ignored. To the mother who said to her kid that she'd get you to do something with her kid because you have a gun... I'd have told her, right in front of everybody there... "Look at what you just told your kid! You just threatened him with possible deadly force for misbehaving. You really want to use that sort of threat on your kid lady?" Or just substitute the word gun with penis and ask her how she thought it would be appropriate in any fashion whatsoever.

As for the guy who crowded you, I wouldn't have let it go as long. Once he started asserting his presence, I'd have locked my eyes on his and said "Excuse me!" If he didn't back off, I'd add "Mind stepping back just a bit, you're uncomfortably close!" This one is a bit harder because I don't know how he closed in, or what his demeanor was. Being the smart ass that I am, I might have said "Look mister, if you wanna get close to me, you'll need to wear deodorant or maybe shower in the morning!"

Every situation is different, and you will learn to cope with different scenarios as they present themselves. I am blessed with a background in radio, so have a penchant for glib responses programmed in and hard wired. As you OC when you go about your routine business, you'll learn effective ways to cope with different situations. I don't recommend the glib reply that I'll throw out there, but have some experience regarding what I can expect to get away with. Then again, I've got at least 40 years on you! I've had practice.

Think about what happened today, what you might have said, and how to respond to that same sort of situation in the future. Remember what you come up with, and start building a mental library of responses to different situations that come along. Eventually, you'll be quick with a quip and ready to articulate a response to nearly every situation.

Good luck, and stay safe out there.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

livetrapper13

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I didn't mean that officers don't care, just that they (or these ones) don't bother OC'ers. And yes I am sure they paid us a little more attention, as I would pay a little more attention to anyone I saw carrying.

Carry on!

mahkagari

At the Denver museum's pirate exhibit, I did threaten my daughter that the security guard would take her away if she misbehaved. And only threatened to take her to him once. Maybe twice.

But we're missing a very crucial detail in all of this interaction that gets overlooked FAR too often on this board. Was the cashier a redhead?

Beau

I can't stand when people crowd me in line. I won't tolerate some idiot who wants to stand close enough to kiss me when they have 15 feet behind them to stand in. I try to be nice when telling them to back up.

I'm sure these are the same people that will drive in another cars blind spot, ride your bumper and creep forward at red lights as if they can make it change. What amuses me most is that they think they are going to some kind of jump on the other traffic. They end up stopping because they're about to pull out in front of traffic and that is usually when the light changes. Now their the ones holding up traffic.

M-Taliesin

At the Denver museum's pirate exhibit, I did threaten my daughter that the security guard would take her away if she misbehaved. And only threatened to take her to him once. Maybe twice.

But we're missing a very crucial detail in all of this interaction that gets overlooked FAR too often on this board. Was the cashier a redhead?

Howdy Mahkagari!
And would it matter if she was, but weighed in at 425 pounds? I mean... I like 'em Rubinesque but there are load limits on Colorado roads.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

livetrapper13

....we're missing a very crucial detail in all of this interaction that gets overlooked FAR too often on this board. Was the cashier a redhead?

No. If she were I would have fainted on sight. But BOY-OH-BOY was she a cutie. Well I have to go pick something up at Walmart now....:lol:

Gunslinger

Thanks for the reply!

I guess I didn't mean that officers don't care, just that they (or these ones) don't bother OC'ers. And yes I am sure they paid us a little more attention, as I would pay a little more attention to anyone I saw carrying.

Carry on!

This is Colorado Springs. The police understand what "shall not be infringed" means.

M-Taliesin

This is Colorado Springs. The police understand what "shall not be infringed" means.

Howdy Gunslinger!
I believe most Colorado LEOs understand that principal.
Those that behave otherwise, fortunately, are the abberation rather than the rule.
That being said, I hope I don't find myself facing such abberant behavior because it wouldn't be pretty.
Comedy can be an ugly thing, and it is how I cope with situations of that ilk.
Make fun of it... or them... as a way to fend off the ridiculous.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

JamesB

Howdy Mahkagari!
And would it matter if she was, but weighed in at 425 pounds? I mean... I like 'em Rubinesque but there are load limits on Colorado roads.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I just try to think of her as three really hot chicks all rolled into one.

no?

Howabout: "Thats what I call a double date"

jhco50

I have been amazed lately, how many times people want my attention to ask me what caliber, what kind of revolver, and if it is legal to carry in Colorado. Several have approached me the last couple of weeks. I have a feeling we will have more and more open carriers before long.

M-Taliesin

I have been amazed lately, how many times people want my attention to ask me what caliber, what kind of revolver, and if it is legal to carry in Colorado. Several have approached me the last couple of weeks. I have a feeling we will have more and more open carriers before long.

Howdy Amigo!
I am convinced, and is the topic of another thread I posted, that most people haven't the faintest idea they can open carry in Colorado. Even gun owners appear to be ignorant of this reality. I didn't know it until I ran into this forum. My pardner didn't know about it until I told him. Now he is open carrying wherever he goes.

As more of us carry, more citizens ask us about it, more people learn they have this right in Colorado, the more apt they are to exercise their right. And as a result of more citizens exercising their right, the less likely that right will be undermined or infringed as it becomes more commonplace.

To put it another way, it is easier to infringe a right (or curtail it) if folks don't know they have that right to begin with. The fewer who exercise that right, the easier to undermine it. By contrast, the more who exercise that right, the more secure the right because people not only are aware of their right, but use it!

I believe it is in our best interest to help promote open carry where we can, and encourage others to adopt the practice.

And the more law abiding citizens who open carry, the more bad guys will see that their nefarious deeds won't be tolerated.
The more citizens can defend themselves, their families, their neighbors and their community, the more criminals might consider a different line of work! Or failing that, that their chosen occupation is better exercised in Denver, where they aren't so likely to meet armed citizens!

OC sends a clear enough message that we are not to be trifled with.
It is our right (except in city and county of Denver!)
And as is true with all our rights, we should embrace them.
The whole nature of liberty is to live as free men!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

I just try to think of her as three really hot chicks all rolled into one.

no?

Howabout: "Thats what I call a double date"

Ya know, it's the same thought I have about tall women. Sometimes you just need to hire a sherpa, lace up your crampons, and man up to the experience that more should know the pleasure of undertaking.

JamesB

Ya know, it's the same thought I have about tall women. Sometimes you just need to hire a sherpa, lace up your crampons, and man up to the experience that more should know the pleasure of undertaking.

Now a more important question..."How do you get nostril coffee out of a keyboard?"

livetrapper13

Yesterday my buddy was in the Falcon Walmart and had a woman ask if she could take a picture of his holster. It was a custom with some nice tooling, and she wanted one for her son.

I've also had my dentist ask what caliber/model it was.

M-Taliesin

Yesterday my buddy was in the Falcon Walmart and had a woman ask if she could take a picture of his holster. It was a custom with some nice tooling, and she wanted one for her son.

I've also had my dentist ask what caliber/model it was.

Howdy Trapper!
Too may people underestimate the value of open carrying while at the dentist office.
When I go, and they ask about my sidearm, I like to pat the pistol and say....
"Now we ain't gonna hurt one another, are we!?!?"

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

Howdy Trapper!
Too may people underestimate the value of open carrying while at the dentist office.
When I go, and they ask about my sidearm, I like to pat the pistol and say....
"Now we ain't gonna hurt one another, are we!?!?"

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I set my 12g pump down next to the chair--just so we understand each other...don't skimp on the novacane.

M-Taliesin

I set my 12g pump down next to the chair--just so we understand each other...don't skimp on the novacane.

Howdy Gunslinger!
Before we even get to the novacane, I want some nitrous to take off the edge of them jamming a needle into my gums!
The dentist office is the ideal place to bring the Judge, loaded with .410 buckshot rounds!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin