• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Renton Police Seek Felony Charges Against Cartoonist

Dave_pro2a

But remember, the system is fair and balanced -- not inherently corrupt.

Yeah, right.

Dirty judge + dirty cops = dirty search warrant.

Media exposure + public outcry = presto they are forced to be legal.

Alternatively the powers that be recognized it really was a long term LEO employee who made the videos and simply didn't want it getting worse on the public record. He probably has A LOT of dirt on his fellow employees, and how many convictions could he overturn if he really crossed that thin blue line.

Last edited:

amlevin

Dirty judge + dirty cops = dirty search warrant.

Media exposure + public outcry = presto they are forced to be legal.

Just remember, those who become Judges are usually not the "geniuses" of the Law Schools. More often than not they were the "C" Students.

The Geniuses usually go into private practice and make oodles of bucks.

Or they go off to government, every once in a while one becomes President. Yeah, right.

It's possible that this Attorney "schooled" the Judge in the Constitution. Pointed out to him that if he let the warrant be executed he'd kill any chances of future appointments, even in the Obama administration.

Last edited:

Lammo

Just remember, those who become Judges are usually not the "geniuses" of the Law Schools. More often than not they were the "C" Students.

The Geniuses usually go into private practice and make oodles of bucks.

Or they go off to government, every once in a while one becomes President. Yeah, right.

It's possible that this Attorney "schooled" the Judge in the Constitution. Pointed out to him that if he let the warrant be executed he'd kill any chances of future appointments, even in the Obama administration.

Careful. You don't want to offend any potential future judges who might be lurking around in here.
:)

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
END_THE_FED said......LOL, I was actually thinking the opposite. That they will have to raise it. If they keep increasing the "money" supply how much longer until $10,000 is just, dinner and a movie for a small family.
View attachment 6616 View attachment 6617
In zimbabwe they complain about using money instead of toilet paper. Unlike their economy it does not dissolve.

jt59

I have another take on payroll deductions too. By having employers take it out, the loss of income is never actually felt by the general public. I think that is exactly why it is structured that way.

I think if we are going to pay taxes it needs to be an individual responsibility to pay it. I bet the attitude toward it would change when people have to mail in their own quarterly checks to the government.

We might actually see some Boston Tea Party attitude toward paying taxes and people simply telling the gov. to "F" off.

Actually, SVG, your very right on the (automatic taking) and its a good idea to send it in quarterly , but then folks would have to be more engaged in personally managing their gov't financing plan....I can't tell you how many folks I hear or talk to around "tax" time that say something like...

...I'm so excited, I'm getting money back from my taxes...(interest free Congressional loan)

....I use the IRS like a "savings" account, cause I can't save money and it's nice to get something back at the end of the year.

....I had to write a check to pay $$$ income taxes (cause they didn't take enough out and I don't know where I'll get it....(not an interest free loan)

....and it would be possible to (temporarily) reduce the cash flow to gov't through your employer by maximizing your W-9 deductions to 8-10....and then send it in quarterly (and be disciplined enough not to dip into it for whatever emergency or ammo sale is on)....but in the end they still get it.

I'd like to sit down some time and figure out how much per dollar is taken based on, use taxes and fees, licenses to drive, to be a general and specialty contractor, teacher, engineer, nurse, doctor, attn'y, taco kitchen, tax on fees paid (think "discover pass", and the 8.5% "hotel tax" charged on camping sites in state parks)....we pay as a percentage of our gross income.....that would be piss people off.

amlevin

Actually, SVG, your very right on the (automatic taking) and its a good idea to send it in quarterly , but then folks would have to be more engaged in personally managing their gov't financing plan....I can't tell you how many folks I hear or talk to around "tax" time that say something like...

...I'm so excited, I'm getting money back from my taxes...(interest free Congressional loan)

....I use the IRS like a "savings" account, cause I can't save money and it's nice to get something back at the end of the year.

....I had to write a check to pay $$$ income taxes (cause they didn't take enough out and I don't know where I'll get it....(not an interest free loan)

....and it would be possible to (temporarily) reduce the cash flow to gov't through your employer by maximizing your W-9 deductions to 8-10....and then send it in quarterly (and be disciplined enough not to dip into it for whatever emergency or ammo sale is on)....but in the end they still get it.

I'd like to sit down some time and figure out how much per dollar is taken based on, use taxes and fees, licenses to drive, to be a general and specialty contractor, teacher, engineer, nurse, doctor, attn'y, taco kitchen, tax on fees paid (think "discover pass", and the 8.5% "hotel tax" charged on camping sites in state parks)....we pay as a percentage of our gross income.....that would be piss people off.

All this is very true but my reference to "Payroll Deductions" (which started the discussion of them) was referring to how fines from public officials should be collected for their violations of law, such as the preemption law.

As for this statement offered by many today "....I use the IRS like a "savings" account, cause I can't save money and it's nice to get something back at the end of the year." I have always wondered what these people were thinking (or not thinking). Just think, give the Government a "Free Loan" of your money. Even if interest rates do suck, that money could be doing something useful for YOU. Those who use the IRS as their "savings account" are often those that think they need spend more so they can have a bigger deduction. When they took away the "Consumer Credit" deduction many just turned to the home equity loan for their spending money because the Mortgage Interest is still deductible.

These are also the kind of people we elect to run our national finances. I used to wonder why the Country was in financial trouble but no longer.

In closing JT- Washington State residents had to work until April 16 this year in order to pay all their Federal, State, and Local taxes. None of the money earned before that was theirs, it all belonged to the government. That averages about 30% of all the dollars you earn. Of course Small Business men can add another 6.2% for Social Security taxes and an average of 2% for State B&O tax (on all dollars taken in, not after profit dollars). For small businesses, lets also not forget the Personal Property Taxes too. For all practical purposes a person who owns a business in this State has an automatic 50% partner in the form of Federal and State Government, like it or not. No wonder we aren't creating more jobs in this country (outside of Government).

Last edited:

hermannr

Just for those that don't remember, It was JFK that brought us "withholding". His idea was to obtain two years revenues in one year...He could spend more without officailly "raising" taxes. It also had the added benifit that the taxpayers would not notice their tax rate increasing as readily.

amlevin: Where do you get your 6.2%. Last time I paid self employment tax (last year) it was 15.2%

amlevin

Just for those that don't remember, It was JFK that brought us "withholding". His idea was to obtain two years revenues in one year...He could spend more without officailly "raising" taxes. It also had the added benifit that the taxpayers would not notice their tax rate increasing as readily.

amlevin: Where do you get your 6.2%. Last time I paid self employment tax (last year) it was 15.2%

If you work for an employer, the employee pays 4.2% and the employer pays 6.2%. If you are self employed you end up paying 6.2% more than the regular wage earner since nobody else is stepping in to pay it for you. My statement was "another 6.2% not 6.2% in total.".
These are the rates for 2011 and projected to be the same in 2012.

Both, employees and self employed still have to pay 2.9% for Medicare.

As for JFK giving us "withholding"??????? It began during WWII

During World War II, Congress introduced payroll withholding and quarterly tax payments.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_year...lding_income_tax_from_paychecks#ixzz1VOj2At00

Yes, we had a Democrat in the White House then but it wasn't Kennedy.

Last edited: