• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inside the 'kill box'(WA)

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Here is an artlcle from David Codrea about an incident in Washington State:

"The five deputies made a kill box around the car and emerged with assault weapons. We were ordered out of the car at gun point. [More]"

I had Timothy Veldman on my show today--he's the guy who, along with his friends, was accosted by police for...going shooting. On private land. With permission. And they were driving back home at the time.

I think this story needs to go viral, because this kind of crap could happen to any of us. Here are some Americans enjoying their day and their freedom--safely and responsibly--and the ones who introduce jackbooted arrogance under threat of lethal force into the situation are the ones who swore an oath to uphold the Constitution. "The Only Ones."

We need to help him get the police report and the video. So we need to bang pots and pans to make that happen.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/inside-the-kill-box

Here is the link to the first person account:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_RfeQnE2xtAXV-Xd3CUJzZRwmDRW8idWd3SDyO_7N-o/edit?hl=en_US

How hard is it to obtain a copy of the 911 call in Washington State? Can it be done with an easy freedom of information act request?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
How hard is it to obtain a copy of the 911 call in Washington State? Can it be done with an easy freedom of information act request?

Here is the link to get the paperwork for a public records request (FOIA) for Franklin County just so you know, give them a call and find out who holds the records you want. If the 911 records are held at one place versus car video at another, as sometimes they are not so open to providing with out being prompted.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
After a little research I found that Franklin County has a habit of denying FOIA requests.

If you read the reply from FCSO when Tim requested the dash cam they quote RCW's that don't pertain to his request.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
After a little research I found that Franklin County has a habit of denying FOIA requests.

If you read the reply from FCSO when Tim requested the dash cam they quote RCW's that don't pertain to his request.

Do you have a link to this incident?

Just for clarity, we are talking about Franklin County in South Central Washington.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Thanks M1Gunr for the reference, I did over look it before.

It appears they are standing on this portion of

RCW 9.73.090(1)(c) Sound recordings that correspond to video images recorded by video cameras mounted in law enforcement vehicles. All law enforcement officers wearing a sound recording device that makes recordings corresponding to videos recorded by video cameras mounted in law enforcement vehicles must be in uniform. A sound recording device that makes a recording pursuant to this subsection (1)(c) must be operated simultaneously with the video camera when the operating system has been activated for an event. No sound recording device may be intentionally turned off by the law enforcement officer during the recording of an event. Once the event has been captured, the officer may turn off the audio recording and place the system back into "pre-event" mode.

No sound or video recording made under this subsection (1)(c) may be duplicated and made available to the public by a law enforcement agency subject to this section until final disposition of any criminal or civil litigation which arises from the event or events which were recorded. Such sound recordings shall not be divulged or used by any law enforcement agency for any commercial purpose.

A law enforcement officer shall inform any person being recorded by sound under this subsection (1)(c) that a sound recording is being made and the statement so informing the person shall be included in the sound recording, except that the law enforcement officer is not required to inform the person being recorded if the person is being recorded under exigent circumstances. A law enforcement officer is not required to inform a person being recorded by video under this subsection (1)(c) that the person is being recorded by video.

It may well take an attorney to gain access to these prior to "final disposition" of this matter.