• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns and Gold!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I have been a metal detecting freak for some 4 years as of the 1st of this month.
My interest in guns and self defense came about largely because I am often in questionable neighborhoods, often hunt at night, and often find myself apprehensive about what could happen if my situational awareness fails to detect somebody coming my way with nefarious intentions.

So when my pardner took me out to the shooting range (Firing Line) and I fired his handguns, it reawakened something long dormant in me. I hadn't fired a handgun in something like 40 years, and that day at the range brought the whole thing into focus. I should be armed when metal detecting for my own protection. Consider, if you will, I may be toting a metal detector that would cost nearly $2,000 to replace. Add to that, I often am carrying gold or silver on my person that I've found while metal detecting. Why would I want to be vulnerable to an assailant?

It is ironic that my effort to arm myself took me away from metal detecting almost entirely since April. My focus was fixed on a series of goals I wanted to accomplish and I put everything into that effort. First, buy handguns for myself and my wife. Second, develop our proficiency in their use. Next, take a CCW course and pass the thing. Finally, apply for the CCW permits and secure them. While it doesn't sound like much, I devoted a great deal of mental energy toward the goal.

Now that I've got my CCW, and a couple of custom made new holsters for my various handguns, I am turning my attention back to metal detecting. I had to visit the holster maker in Highlands Ranch today to make a minor change to one of my holsters. After I left his place, I hit a local park and within 20 minutes, found a gold ring that acid tested at over 18k. I like gold! Aside from that, I didn't find much but did manage to scrounge up $10.33 in lost change and some other minor jewelry items. But the best part was finding that gold ring.

Oh, and by the way... I usually find quite a bit of gold!!!

Depending on location, I mostly open carried. I did remove my handgun and lock it in the car at a couple of schools down there, but when I could, I simply holstered my sidearm and openly carried.

All in all, a real good day!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Due to the overwhelming resonse to this thread, I decided to put my photo up as an avatar.
Notice that I am openly carrying my metal detector.
And more curious, I have had LEO encounters while out metal detecting.
Meanwhile, not a single actual encounter while carrying a firearm.

Incongruous, ain't it?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

mahkagari

And more curious, I have had LEO encounters while out metal detecting.
Meanwhile, not a single actual encounter while carrying a firearm.

*snort* I do hope that's indicative of CO. "Yeah, I don't care about your sidearm, but do you have the property owner's rights to be out prospecting here?"

M-Taliesin

*snort* I do hope that's indicative of CO. "Yeah, I don't care about your sidearm, but do you have the property owner's rights to be out prospecting here?"

Howdy Pardner!
Yeah, something like that.
I had a run-in with an officer around 11pm one night while I was hunting the area around an elementary school in Montbello. I was clear around the south side of the building and he was on the north side. I could see his flashlight sweeping the park right next to the school. Figuring I should let him know what's up and assure him nothing was amiss, I walked around to meet up with him.

He asked what I was doing, and I told him that I was metal detecting.
"Why don't you do that during daylight?" he wanted to know.
"Because at this time of day, nobody else is around!"
"Yeah, but it is after 11pm!"
"It's okay," I replied. "My headlamp gives plenty of light."
"Well, I'd prefer you did this sort of thing before dark." He responded.
"Is that the law or just your personal point of view?"
"How do I know you aren't up to something?"
"I am up to something. I'd guess about $4.50 in clad right now!"
Usually a funny retort will defuse a situation. Get them laughing and they see how ridiculous the situation is.
Not this guy!
"Well, it isn't safe. There could be pipe bombs hidden out there. I've seen it before!"
"So what schools are you talking about? In Iraq maybe, or Afghanistan?"
"No sir, right here in Denver!"
"Look mister," I said becoming frustrated. "I've metal detected literally hundreds of schools in 4 years. Never once did I find a pipe bomb. Besides, who would you rather have find one. A responsible adult with a metal detector who will report it to the authorities, or a little kid who wouldn't know about pipe bombs and subsequently blew himself up?"
"I don't want you here at this time of night. You are welcome to come back during the daytime, but not at night."
"Well so far as I know, this is still America and I am a free citizen, so it really isn't about what you want."

As this discussion was heading south in a hurry, I asked to speak to his supervisor. He handed me a business card and told me I could call him in the morning. I told him I'd call right now, with him able to listen on speakerphone.

Ultimately, the supervisor told the cop confronting me that I had every legal right to be there, regardless of the time of day, and he should find something constructive to do with his time. Although I've spent lots of time hunting after dark in schools in the area, I've never seen that particular guy again! Maybe he's looking for all those pipe bombs in city parks now. I dunno!

What has this to do with open carry? Well, it is one of those type of encouters that makes me wonder when I'll have a run-in with another authoritarian type officer who doesn't like me armed when going about my business. He might think that's a pipe bomb in my holster!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

bogidu

Wow.

All I can say is better you than me in that situation. As a child my mom called me easy, as a teen I was naive, as a 20-something I was gullible, as a 30-something my eyes started to open, and now in my 40's I more than likely would have just told him to go get bent and gotten myself arrested on some trumped up charge. The gall, a cop telling a grown man he should have a curfew! pffttt. Please just remind me these jerkoffs are the exception and not the rule.

bogidu

That reminds me, as someone who wants to get into the hobby, I've seen lots of sub-$200 metal detectors. Are any of them any good? Any thoughts on what WOULD be a good (read, fairly inexpensive) one to start out with?

Thanks

Bill

M-Taliesin

The gall, a cop telling a grown man he should have a curfew! pffttt. Please just remind me these jerkoffs are the exception and not the rule.

Howdy Bogidu!
Yeah, he did have himself on a high horse coming along, but that got settled before the night was over and he got himself taken down a notch.

And honestly, I've had maybe a dozen copscapades, with only two being unpleasant. In both cases, I made a fuss and the officers involved dressed down.

What bothers me is that in both cases, I was questioned (in one episode, detained) and if I knew then what I learned from this forum, I'd likely have me a few new metal detectors and perhaps a couple of new pistols (fancy getting myself a nice 1911). No reason to detain me, yet that's what took place. Oh well, ya live and learn. Thank goodness this forum exists. Now I'll be much better armed (sic) next time some cop wants to detain me and run my particulars to see if I am a felon carrying a loaded metal detector! LOL!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
High, M!

"Well, I'd prefer you did this sort of thing before dark." He responded.

:eek:

"Well, it isn't safe. There could be pipe bombs hidden out there. I've seen it before!"

:eek: Really... :eek:

"I don't want you here at this time of night. You are welcome to come back during the daytime, but not at night."

:rolleyes: Hmm... :rolleyes:

Ultimately, the supervisor told the cop confronting me that I had every legal right to be there, regardless of the time of day, and he should find something constructive to do with his time.

:banana: Hurrah! :banana:

Maybe he's looking for all those pipe bombs in city parks now.

If I were his desk Sgt, I might have given him that task, at least for a day. :lol:

M-Taliesin

High, M!

If I were his desk Sgt, I might have given him that task, at least for a day. :lol:

Howdy Pardner!
I thought it would make an excellent new career path for that particular officer.
And not just for a day or two either!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Well, I hope you make every effort to return someone's lost ring! They are probably devastated and offering an significant reward!

M-Taliesin

Well, I hope you make every effort to return someone's lost ring! They are probably devastated and offering an significant reward!

Howdy Keens!
Unless they are somehow marked, it is nearly impossible to find the original owner. Even when they are, it can prove a really tough task.

I found a class ring awhile back. It had the name of the school, the year of graduation, and inside the band was a name. A woman's name. Searching local records (phone book, 411, Coles Directory, etc) and came up empty on that last name. I even drove around the neighborhood asking residents if they knew of anyone with that last name. Nothing. Naturally I called the school, but they had nothing either. Referred to the school's records department, I gave them all the information I had, and they promised to check into that person and return my call. They never did. Perhaps they figured I was an ex-husband or old boyfriend trying to stalk that woman. I still have that ring to this day. I don't know if she lives or has passed on. I don't know whether she was married (thus changing the last name) or even married multiple times. I put up ads on services such as Craig's list, but got no response. Naturally, I checked with lost and found classified ads and other sources.

Now that was a case where I had plenty of information to go on at the outset. There almost is never a name on a ring, or other piece of jewelry, so that task becomes almost impossible in most circumstances. But wait... there's an even more daunting problem.

When you start trying to track down an individual in order to return an item, in our paranoid society, people get twitchy. "I don't know that guy. Why is he looking for me? What does he want? Why is he tracking me? Is he doing this on behalf of my ex?" etc, etc. If the person you're trying to find has some questionable entanglements with the law, they may become sufficiently paranoid to suppose you're a detective or law officer of some sort looking to apprehend them.

That being said, when I have been fortunate enough to return a ring to the rightful owner, the experience was terrific. It is a gratifying thing to return a ring to the person who lost it. In one example, the woman and her husband were at a park up north and saw me with my detector. She'd lost a gold ring while working in the yard over a year before. It was especially precious to her because the couple worked as missionaries in Malaysia. While there, a local artisan made the ring for her as her wedding ring. I promised to return and find that ring for her. They did not want to put me out, considering I live 60 miles from that location, but I told them I'd come back the next day. When I found it, a tricky hunt because of metal edging along the side of her yard, and pulled it from the hole, her joy was profound and touching. I have photos of that find, and her, along with the great satisfaction of having done a real good job on that hunt.

Now I continue to hunt, and carry my .40 XDm on my person because there are unsavory elements in our society. Where possible, I open carry my pistol along with my detector. More than once I've been on red alert without means to defend myself apart from my Lesche digging tool. That ain't too much comfort if confronted by multiple assailants. On one occassion, I stumbled upon a trio of young men doing something nefarious. They had hoodies and pulled their shirts over their lower faces. I reached for my Lesche (didn't have a handgun) and they took off running. Called the cops to have them check the building to see if they'd done something untoward.

In several LEO encounters while detecting, I've been the RP who reported suspicious activity or a building unsecured late at night. One LEO said that guys like me are like having an extra set of eyes on patrol out there to help them prevent crime. I like to think I contribute something to our community safety and feel better about it now that I can better secure my own safety when hunting in the dark.

Anyhow, sorry to digress, and apologize if this got a bit long.

I decided to arm myself because of metal detecting originally. Now I carry at all times possible because safety doesn't just stop when you hang up your detector. You can never predict when or where you'll need to defend yourself. I've been on the wrong end of a pistol used against me, and decided to even up the odds in my favor.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Hello M-T,

Metal detecting sounds like fun! I've always been a fan of prospecting for gold and other precious metals and at one time someday hoped to own my own mining claim. I've since figured out working a claim and digging a tunnel is far too much work for me to handle. So I stick to panning in the streams. Of course, when i am in the mountains, I open carry my S&W .40. Never had an issue other than a couple hikers heard gunshots in National Forest while I was going some target shooting. Yes, I followed all the rules. Yes a sheriff came by but didnt even get out of his car and left. Funny, because the hikers knew we were going target shooting! They pulled into the parking lot as we were getting guns out, and their eyes were BIG! Guys and i gave a friendly "Hello!" and had a few mins just friedly talk about what a nice day it is, blah blah. Four guys, 2 S&W .40's, an AR-15, Savage 12 ga, 30-06, and other guns, so we made a lot of noise! And safety first, of course.

You use a $2k detector! I know I can't afford that, so will a cheapie work at finding some precious metal?

I can see your point about trying your best to return someone's lost precious item. I agree, it is nearly impossible. Unless you have some clues, like the class ring. In that case, I'd just simply hand it over to that school and let them deal with it. If the school can possibly get ahold of the owner, great! That way there is no issue about stalking and no one gets worked up. Saw your YouTube video on another post, I think you're doing great!

And that was very gentmanly of you to go out of your way 60 miles to help a lady find a long lost ring in her yard! I bet she was very thrilled and felt like a weight on her shoulders was lifted! There's not very many people like you left in this crazy society!

Well, it's a bit difficult for me to do forums and type only using an iPhone. But there is this stupid icon called "Tap-a-talk" that pops up all the time. I do not know what it is but costs $2.99. And there are a ton of apps out there that are just waste of money. I do not have regular internet at home. I do have it at work, but a lot is blocked or firewalled, like the usual and anything about "guns." Anyway, up for some OC and detecting this weekend? I need to get over my nervousness about OC. And hope there's a OC gathering soon!

Shoot Safe!

Keens

since9

Campaign Veteran
Class Rings

I knew a guy in high school who was worried sick he'd loose his $450 ring. He had it engraved with the zip code, name of the school, Class of 1981, and his full name!

I spend my $450 on an R/C airplane. :banana:

M-Taliesin

Hello M-T,

Anyway, up for some OC and detecting this weekend? I need to get over my nervousness about OC. And hope there's a OC gathering soon!
Shoot Safe!
Keens

Howdy Pardner!
I have Saturday off. How about we meet up and do a little OC'ing together. I will likely have a few errands to run, and you can discover that nobody seems to pay much mind to the fact that you are open carrying. Except in the city and county of Denver.

I've carried everywhere else without any hassle at all. A few folks have engaged me in conversation about my sidearm, but mostly out of curiosity. Not once have I had a negative experience while carrying.

I am somewhat new to OC'ing myself, and understand your apprehension. I am getting more comfortable every day I carry, and have gone to restaurants, Best Buy (2 or 3 of those!), Walmart (a couple of them too!), Home Depot (2 different ones), Office Depot, King Soopers, Safeway, and a bunch of other places. King Soopers has armed security folks, and they all pretty much know me by now and we have enjoyable discussions about law enforcement, self defense, training and the guns themselves.

My wife will be going on a "ride along" with a county sheriff's deputy, so I'll be on my own all day.

I should also mention that I've carried open in Aurora, Brighton, Colorado Springs, Lakewood, Castle Rock, and other towns along the front range. I've also open carried in Nebraska and parts of Kansas.

So if you're up for an adventure, let's meet up and go out and about to get you comfortable with open carry.

Folks in Denver need to get their leadership to change their attitude and join the rest of Colorado in respecting open carry.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Yes! I'm up for it! We can run around doing your errands and break in a new OC'er! I'm nervous, but I figure if I'm out with a fellow OC'er, that is going to help a lot easing the tension! Just PM me.

Diocoles

Haven't been visiting this sight much lately. Been busy.

I have been thinking about a metal detector for a while and have the same question..would an "affordable" one still do the job?
Also we need a good OC picnic or something here in Aurora.
I go to the Firing Line weekly.
Open carry when I get the chance, but due to work restrictions, I CCW most of the time.
I also don't even take out my trash without my piece.

Don't have a lot of free time during the week, but Saturdays around noonish are almost always open.

Keep me in mind if you guys are still thinking about an OC get together.

M-Taliesin

Haven't been visiting this sight much lately. Been busy.

I have been thinking about a metal detector for a while and have the same question..would an "affordable" one still do the job?
Keep me in mind if you guys are still thinking about an OC get together.

Howdy Pard!
Metal detectors come in a wide price range, and the more expensive ones tend to get the better results.
They detect smaller objects, deeper objects and tend to be more reliable.
That being said, there are some good ones in the $300 price range. Among them you'll find great machines by Garrett's, White's and little else. What I did was spend $600 on an XLT machine from White's and it worked wonderful. My finds, when saved up, paid for my MXT 300, which rang up at around $900 bucks. With the MXT, I found a heap of gold and silver. My finds were enough in 6 months to pay for the newest V3i from White's Electronics.

Metal detectors are like cars. You can get a cheaper one, but there is a reason you'll spend more to get better quality.

Anyhow, with that being said, I was just talking today about putting on a meet-up soon here in Aurora. We've had a couple of meet-ups down in the Springs, and one in Lakewood, and I got distracted from my intention of putting one on here. Guess I'll start checking around for a good venue for us to get together for an OC outing. Thanks for the reminder.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
Whoa, my new glasses weren't quite up in that neighborhood! But I just wish I could justify a nice plane like that. I'll find one for $40. :p

Whew! Glad to hear it.

It was my first R/C plane, so I had to spring for the engine and radios, as well as some basic tools. The plane kit itself was around $50.

M-Taliesin

Whew! Glad to hear it.

It was my first R/C plane, so I had to spring for the engine and radios, as well as some basic tools. The plane kit itself was around $50.

Howdy Pardner!
Then again, we could all save up that money and go bowling. $50 bucks can pay for a whole heap of bowling.
How do you handle a 7 - 10 split? Double tap!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin