• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Komo News - Citizen takes down gunman after shooting in Skyway

swatspyder

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/127082543.html

SKYWAY, Wash. -- Police say an armed citizen helped arrest a man who shot another man late Saturday in the Skyway neighborhood south of Seattle.

King County sheriff's Sgt. John Urquhart said the victim was shot just before 9 p.m. during an argument in the parking lot of the US Bank branch at 12610 76th Avenue South.

A man not involved in the dispute who was using the ATM at the bank pulled out his own gun and pointed it at the shooter, Urquhart said.

Urquhart said the man is licensed to carry the weapon and also had handcuffs with him, although he is not a member of law enforcement.

By the time police arrived, the Good Samaritan already had the suspected shooter cuffed and disarmed.

"That's very unusual, very surprising, and not recommended," Urquhart said of the citizen who intervened. "This guy did a great job, but we don't recommend doing that. You certainly do that at your own risk."

The man who was shot was taken to Harborview Medical Center with serious injuries, but he is expected to survive.

Investigators are looking into whether a dispute over drugs may have prompted the shooting.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Cool. Glad he was able to defend himself and get the guy. May have been better not to intervene. Wierd that he was carrying handcuffs. I have met a lot of OCers, none of them carry handcuffs.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
There was someone, do not remember his nickname or name right now but he was trying to form a group to do neighborhood walks around that area. He was ex military police and carried cuffs if I remember correctly and the last we heard from him is when it was walking down rainier, dressed in black and something about a thigh rig. Wonder if it was him?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
There was someone, do not remember his nickname or name right now but he was trying to form a group to do neighborhood walks around that area. He was ex military police and carried cuffs if I remember correctly and the last we heard from him is when it was walking down rainier, dressed in black and something about a thigh rig. Wonder if it was him?

Redboneshadow?

ManInBlack

No, because without proper raining in how to apply them, cuffs can become a weapon to be used against you.

Cops say the same thing whether or not handcuffs are used: "mere serfs should not encroach upon our monopoly of force."

I could say the same thing about a Mag-Lite or any other piece of equipment on a cop's belt; it is possible for an adversary to gain control of it and use it as a weapon against the owner. However, I put far more stock in a private citizen taking responsibility for his own safety and training than a police officer who knows he can shoot with relative impunity and that he always has the option to call in more fellow members of his armed gang for backup.

Mainsail

I have an aversion to touching any stranger; I’m certainly not going to start groping some druggie/drunk/diseased person to get handcuffs on them. No thanks, I’ll keep my distance.

WalkingWolf

Unless an OCer is a cop they should not carry cuffs or those tacky CC badges. A very good way to get a felony impersonating charge. The purpose of OC and CC is personal self defense not making arrests, unless directed to do so by an LE. Besides as a former LEO cuffing suspects is very dangerous, it entails getting in close contact and without training. Some states do not even have previsions for citizen arrests. That said common items like zip ties or duct tape are handy to have for non restraint purposes in case of vehicle repairs. I guess in a pinch they could also be used for restraint, again though IMO it is taking on more than should be done by a citizen. The most important tool is a recording device to take details to help law enforcement, such as pen and pad, or camera phone, or pocket recorder.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I honestly have no intentions of getting that close to someone who is willing to harm people. That's why I carry a gun... So I don't let them get that close to me. To cuff him he had to probably reholster and HOPE this guy didn't beat the crap out of him. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not really a "fighter." I want as much distance as I can get.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The old handcuff and zip tie issue at hand yet again.
Handcuffs can and do work well on both the bad guys as well as the good guys!
Anytime you come in physical contact an added of danger is added and unless you know with out a doubt you are able to physically subdue the perp, one is making a dangerous choice that could cost you your life.

Zip Ties is one the largest liabilities to you health as you can get, you loose control of it and it is placed around your neck and tighten, 7 to 8 seconds you're dead.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
1286675992502.jpg

This is fitting.

Dave Workman

That guy Workman weighs in

Armed citizen intervention in Skyway shooting ignites CCW debate

The successful intervention of an armed citizen in a Skyway shooting Saturday night is garnering considerable public reaction, with the majority opinion clearly supportive of the citizen who not only held the perpetrator at gunpoint, but also handcuffed him before King County Sheriff’s deputies arrived.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...tervention-skyway-shooting-ignites-ccw-debate

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Those darn concealed carriers anyways! Guess it was not Redboneshadow unless he has changed his mode of carry.
We're told a citizen who was driving by the scene was able to apprehend the suspect. Sgt. John Urqhart of the King County Sheriff's Office tells us that the citizen was legally carrying a concealed weapon as well as handcuffs and was in those handcuffs until police arrived.
full story