• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wife and Conceal Carry

gdyslin

Military Training

I am a bit confused as far as the Military training goes. I qualified on M-16, 9MM and SAW during my 20 years in the USAF. No where on my DD-214 is any of this listed. The only time it would be listed if qualified as an Expert and was awarded a Marksmanship medal in the AF? Maybe the Army and Marines list these as it is their primary purpose in life but not the Air Force? Do you think I will still require another training class since my DD-214 does not specify small arms training?

Interceptor_Knight

I am a bit confused as far as the Military training goes. I qualified on M-16, 9MM and SAW during my 20 years in the USAF. No where on my DD-214 is any of this listed. The only time it would be listed if qualified as an Expert and was awarded a Marksmanship medal in the AF? Maybe the Army and Marines list these as it is their primary purpose in life but not the Air Force? Do you think I will still require another training class since my DD-214 does not specify small arms training?

Your DD-214 would not list small arms training. Nobodys does. It is assumed that by possessing a DD-214 you received basic firearms safety training in a branch of the US military. All you need is a copy of the short form DD-214 and you are good to go....

civilwarguy

What section? Mine does not. (USMC)
What it does list under section 13 is multiple awards Rifle Expert Badge.

Not on mine either (USMC) But as stated they are assuming a DD-214 Means you had training..... I don't think they are looking for handgun specific cause I don't remember anything about handguns in Hunter Safety.... Just my .02

goforlow

blank, blank, bleep, bleep, bleep!!! I found my damn DD214 and it is not listed there. I F'ing hate being wrong!! I will have to look at my other military paperwork, because I know that "small arms training" is listed on one of them.

SO, I guess we will have to wait until Nov 1 to find out what the DOJ will be accepting for military training.

paul@paul-fisher.com

It does NOT MATTER what you DD214 says except for your name and either 'honorable discharge' or 'general discharge under honorable conditions'. It doesn't have to list NY training.

175.60(4)(a)(4) says

Documentation of completion of small arms training whileserving in the U.S. armed forces, reserves, or national guard as
demonstrated by an honorable discharge or general discharge
under honorable conditions or a certificate of completion of basic
training with a service record of successful completion of small
arms training and certification.

I bolded the appropriate word. The 1st part says that a DD214 with honorable or general under honorable discharge is proof of small arms training. If you don't have that and have a certificate of completion, you are still covered.

Last edited: