• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Santa Clarita CA no carry zone MAP

fidget253

I'm working on a MAP of all the no carry zones in Santa Clarita, it is not finished yet, but it is pretty extensive so far. I found a map made by someone named nick that already had most of the information, but it was extremely out of date and had a lot of missing schools. So I copied it and then started adding alot more data. Check it out

(temp disable on link)

If you find anything I have missed let me know ASAP. PS lets get an open carry meet in Santa Clarita

NOTE: I accepts no liability for the content or accuracy of this map, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided.

Last edited:

fidget253

And that's why I don't plan to go into those areas, ignorance of where the schools are wont save you anyways. The best way to avoid that issue is to avoid the school zones, plus the map still has some work to be done. Once my Map is complete few weeks.

Last edited:

Iopencarry

private schools come and go and open/close almost on a daily basis.

We have one school here that has changed locations 4 times in 2 years

Please, if you make a map, do not keep it with you in your car. And remember to check often when you carry to make sure there are no changes.

fidget253

ya def wouldnt keep it in my car, however, i cant speak for the rest of the world, but school in santa clarita here never change. You may get one new school every idn 3-4 years, if that

Firemark

My advice, dont make a document that can be accessed on the internet by others. If LE can get a hold of it, DA's CAN AND WILL use it against you. It doenst have to be the truth or reality, they just have to make it sound convincing to a judge (who can be very anti gun and biased) and/or a jury (who can be manipulated by being told some info and denied other truthful info that supports your argument.)

"Members of the jury I present exhibit "A" the map produced by the defendant to identify schools to be targets of a shooting rampage (or child abductions)"

Best to do your own research, dont make it accessible to others, dont publish to internet, dont carry hard copy. Share your hard work by word of mouth.

If you need more explanationas to why, read my 2nd signature line below.

fidget253

This map was merely a tool to aid other. However, I rarely open carry in california. Most of the carrying i do is concealed in other states. That being said, if someone lives in santa clarita, they can use this information to aid them. And as said before i know my laws and understand it is private school also . There are quite a few private schools on the map. that being said, school is santa clarita, public and private very rarely change. If you dont want to use the map, then stop trolling. It is merely just an aid. I understand all the risk, so the risks dont need to be explained to me. Also our police department does not dispatch to open carry reports(they have been sued twice, lost both times), so use the map for what it is intended for, as an aid. If you havnt done the proper research, you shouldnt be open carrying anyways.

end of rant

Robin47

This map was merely a tool to aid other. However, I rarely open carry in california. Most of the carrying i do is concealed in other states. That being said, if someone lives in santa clarita, they can use this information to aid them. And as said before i know my laws and understand it is private school also . There are quite a few private schools on the map. that being said, school is santa clarita, public and private very rarely change. If you dont want to use the map, then stop trolling. It is merely just an aid. I understand all the risk, so the risks dont need to be explained to me. Also our police department does not dispatch to open carry reports(they have been sued twice, lost both times), so use the map for what it is intended for, as an aid. If you havnt done the proper research, you shouldnt be open carrying anyways.

end of rant

Hi fidget253, Yeah thanks for the map, I don't live down there but Its a good aid as you said.

Another thing is we should call our Congressman, and ask them to support H.R.2613 Ron Paul's
bill called "Citizens Protection Act", Its about doing away with the (GFSZ) all together.
Ron Paul don't have any Co-sponsors yet who will sign on to the bill.
We need to pass this on and all of us email or call your Congressman NOW !

Robin47 !

mjones

Also our police department does not dispatch to open carry reports(they have been sued twice, lost both times)

I would like more information on this - especially with regard to LASD losing lawsuits.

I've both LOC'd and UOC'd at times in the Santa Clarita Valley for over 20 years and never once been stopped or e-checked - I consider that 99.9% luck.

Please provide any information you have about these lawsuits - I hate to sound like a complete *******, but I don't think they exist. Any scrap of information that you have in order for the cases to be looked up would be of HUGE benefit to the CA OC movement at large.

fidget253

Hey mjones after doing some research to find those cases, it appears i was incorrect. the cases i was reffering to were involving ccw not open carry. however, the LASD does have a memo about this. Sorry for the mis information,

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...s9BqzQClw&sig2=vXZTsSJKJCr0aA_c8__KSw&cad=rja

Ive never be e-checked either. I would assume that due to low crime rates that santa clarita has, along with the type of people who live here. They assume you are a police officer when they see this. not sure if there could be any other explanation other then the memo.

Last edited:

mjones

Hey mjones after doing some research to find those cases, it appears i was incorrect. the cases i was reffering to were involving ccw not open carry. however, the LASD does have a memo about this. Sorry for the mis information,

Ive never be e-checked either. I would assume that due to low crime rates that santa clarita has, along with the type of people who live here. They assume you are a police officer when they see this. not sure if there could be any other explanation other then the memo.

Not a problem! I was hoping you were correct :)

Ya, in general LASD does a great job making the distinction between good-guy and bad-guy in northern LA County as a whole. All of the north county stations have their seedy elements to deal with but they also seem to have a better ability to determine how to handle people.

Reality

Map was mine from waaaaaay back when. I didn't realize it was publicly accessible/searchable. Finding it was a blast from the past...

I don't even think I was old enough to purchase a handgun when I started working on that thing. This was back when the UOC "movement" had not even started yet. I remember coming to these forums every day to check C3's posts about his carry stories. I became so blind to reality and so obsessed with "my constitutional rights" that my wife eventually left me. True story (obviously there's more to it, but it played a pretty dang big part). I became obsessed to the point where I couldn't even behave appropriately in social situations. You'd make an off-handed comment about guns at a party and it'd start me on a long train wreck speech about the Second Amendment... rights... blah blah... and before you knew it nobody wanted to be around me, not even my wife. I had become an extremist "constitution nut" who walked around his house with a loaded shotgun (remember I couldn't buy a handgun yet) that made his wife feel unsafe in her own damn house. And yes, I was married before I could purchase a handgun :p I was a foolish idealistic kid. I'm actually kind of ashamed of all that, though I learned a helluva lot through it all and became who I am today.

I have unpublished the map. It was incomplete back then, and is only more incomplete and inaccurate now. I stopped making it when I woke up and realized that UOC was a politically bad move in CA and opted not to participate, and after also getting smacked by Oaklander's Trout of Reality a few times. I'm now focused on achieving practical, measurable results - not idealism.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
^ This post makes me a sad panda... :-(

Yes, I've sunk to invoking internet meme. But the post does illustrate that there are dangers other than school zone violations and bad encounters with police to avoid. I have lost friends over both my beliefs and activities related to open carry and the 2A- and it is difficult to overcome these alienations. I do think that I bear some blame, mostly for inspiring others to imitate me, while neglecting to warn people adequately, that what worked for me wouldnt always be as sucessful in any other environment.

fidget253

Map was mine from waaaaaay back when. I didn't realize it was publicly accessible/searchable. Finding it was a blast from the past...

I don't even think I was old enough to purchase a handgun when I started working on that thing. This was back when the UOC "movement" had not even started yet. I remember coming to these forums every day to check C3's posts about his carry stories. I became so blind to reality and so obsessed with "my constitutional rights" that my wife eventually left me. True story (obviously there's more to it, but it played a pretty dang big part). I became obsessed to the point where I couldn't even behave appropriately in social situations. You'd make an off-handed comment about guns at a party and it'd start me on a long train wreck speech about the Second Amendment... rights... blah blah... and before you knew it nobody wanted to be around me, not even my wife. I had become an extremist "constitution nut" who walked around his house with a loaded shotgun (remember I couldn't buy a handgun yet) that made his wife feel unsafe in her own damn house. And yes, I was married before I could purchase a handgun :p I was a foolish idealistic kid. I'm actually kind of ashamed of all that, though I learned a helluva lot through it all and became who I am today.

I have unpublished the map. It was incomplete back then, and is only more incomplete and inaccurate now. I stopped making it when I woke up and realized that UOC was a politically bad move in CA and opted not to participate, and after also getting smacked by Oaklander's Trout of Reality a few times. I'm now focused on achieving practical, measurable results - not idealism.

haha thanks nick for the basemap. saved me alot of time. Anyways its almost complete now. I just need to verify that all my zones are indeed 1500 feet, yours were all 1000 feet. Now most of them are 1650 feet just to be safe. Anyways as soon as i finish the map up, i will re-enable the link.

koontzm

Detained twice for firearms in the SCV

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...s9BqzQClw&sig2=vXZTsSJKJCr0aA_c8__KSw&cad=rja

I'm from Santa Clarita (I've lived here since 1976) and last year I had multiple LEO's stop me and draw their weapons upon me - TWICE. They forced me out of the car on a dirt road like a common criminal and put me AND my Belgian Malinois dog in the back seat of one of their SUVs as they rifled through my belongings without my permission. I specifically (and quite calmly) disallowed them from searching my vehicle but they conducted their searches WITHOUT consent. Why did this happen to me? This happened because I answered their questions truthfully when they stopped me on that dirt road for literally no reason. They asked if I had any weapons in my car and I replied that yes, I had guns in my car, unloaded and legally stored in locked cases in the trunk. I also indicated that all of my ammunition was made of copper so that I would be in compliance with the new condor-protecting laws. Did I mention it was during deer season and I was returning from a legal hunt for which I had a valid license and tag? For this to happen once is totally wrong and they should have apologized. They didn't. For this to happen twice - two weekends in a row - is a complete outrage and a conspiracy! When they finally let me go after running the serial numbers on my guns, having determined them to be "clean", I asked what right they had to do this to me and why they would treat me like a criminal. One officer said, "Hey, this is Santa Clarita. The soccer moms in this city don't take too kindly to people running around with guns, so we're here to make sure that they're taken care of". Oh really...? A soccer mom's myopic view on guns trumps my 2nd and 4th amendment rights? I think not....

Anyways, the reason why I posted this is that you should not be off your guard when open-carrying in the SCV. I merely answered a question truthfully as I am supposed to and they assumed I was a criminal. The Sherriff Dept is no different here than anywhere else in LA County.

TaIk2Kevin

1500 ft. School zone

In that LASD memo it states the school zone to be 1500 feet instead of 1000 feet. Typo?