• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Baraboo Farm and Fleet OC information

theoicarry

I went to Farm and Fleet this morning and did not OC. I have a couple of times in the past with out having any issues. Today I saw this employee whom I know has been there for over 20 years. We struck up a conversation and I asked about their policy on OCing in this store. She explained that they have not had any direction from corporate, they have no signs posted, and has seen me in the store with OC. When someone is OCing they notify the front desk and watch that individual. So far they have only had one person which she felt looked a bit shady so they followed him around. Eventually she talked with him and found him to be quite nomal.
At this time it appears the Baraboo Farm and Fleet is OC friendly and I will continue to purchase ammo.
On a side note I was also told that the higher majority of their employees, OC, and are in favor of OC and CC.
From here on I will always OC while in their store.
For what it is worth, this was a good day.

Stay Warm!!!

HandyHamlet

Farm and Fleet is anti-2A, Anti-OC, corporate policy is NO guns, and they are on the boycott list.

Unless they changed their policy last week?

"Thank you for your inquiry. Blain's Farm & Fleet does have a "Weapons Free Environment" policy. Our policy reads in part, "To safeguard our employees, our customers and the general public, we absolutely prohibit any employee, vendor, supplier or customer to bring or possess firearms (including but not limited to handguns, regardless of any authorized permit), explosives or any dangerous weapons or objects on Blain's Farm & Fleet premises or at Blain's Farm & Fleet sponsored events."

Best Regards,
Gary H.
Vice President - Loss Prevention / Risk Management "

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

I went to Farm and Fleet this morning and did not OC. I have a couple of times in the past with out having any issues. Today I saw this employee whom I know has been there for over 20 years. We struck up a conversation and I asked about their policy on OCing in this store. She explained that they have not had any direction from corporate, they have no signs posted, and has seen me in the store with OC. When someone is OCing they notify the front desk and watch that individual. So far they have only had one person which she felt looked a bit shady so they followed him around. Eventually she talked with him and found him to be quite nomal.
At this time it appears the Baraboo Farm and Fleet is OC friendly and I will continue to purchase ammo.
On a side note I was also told that the higher majority of their employees, OC, and are in favor of OC and CC.

Stay Warm!!!

That is the way it was for me at the Farm & Fleet in Hallie, I have OD'd there more than 50 times, until another open carrier that never had an issue at the store heard about the policy and went to the costumer service and asked. Two days later I was asked to take my firearm to my vehicle. I handed the manager my basket and told him that I won't spend another penny here.

You can go ahead and OC and spend money there, I repsect your choice. But the feelings I am experiencing right now, I understand the negative sentiment towards me when I wrote that I OC and spend money at a store that is on the boycott list just because I was not ever kicked out of this specific store.

I expect I will excercise more solidarity with fellow open carriers in the future.

MKEgal

theoicarry said:
When someone is OCing they notify the front desk and watch that individual. So far they have only had one person which she felt looked a bit shady so they followed him around.
Wow.
Monitored (probably by camera), & even followed around?
I'd be pretty PO'd if they did that to me.
When I noticed the tail, I'd ask why,
or stand & stare at them until they either talked with me or went away,
or at the very least I'd slowly cover every inch of the store to waste as much of their time as possible.

Or even, if I were in a mood, get close enough to get their name, then go to cust. svc. to talk w/ the manager on duty to report that this employee seems to have nothing better to do than walk around the store with me, so maybe s/he could be sent home for the day to save money.

Farm & Fleet said:
"To safeguard our employees, our customers and the general public, we absolutely prohibit any employee, vendor, supplier or customer to bring or possess firearms (including but not limited to handguns, regardless of any authorized permit), explosives or any dangerous weapons or objects on Blain's Farm & Fleet premises or at Blain's Farm & Fleet sponsored events."
So they don't sell firearms or ammunition any more?
Because that would violate the rule 3 times: vendors, employees, & customers.
And they have metal detectors & armed guards before someone enters the store, to make sure everyone is vulnerable & stop criminals from entering?
:mad: :cuss:

BROKENSPROKET

Wow.
Monitored (probably by camera), & even followed around?
I'd be pretty PO'd if they did that to me.
When I noticed the tail, I'd ask why,
or stand & stare at them until they either talked with me or went away,
or at the very least I'd slowly cover every inch of the store to waste as much of their time as possible.

Or even, if I were in a mood, get close enough to get their name, then go to cust. svc. to talk w/ the manager on duty to report that this employee seems to have nothing better to do than walk around the store with me, so maybe s/he could be sent home for the day to save money.

Before I start, I did offer an apology on FB for the 941.235 v 941.20. I was wrong.

If a store employee is following you around the store, it would be sensless to talk with the manager. I am sure that management is the responsible party for that security protocol. If they want to follow you around the store, there is nothing you can do but accept it or leave. There is alot of people that have never seen an open carrier and several stores are adjusting. Personally, I would rather have a tail than be disrupted being asked to leave.

I will bet it happens in alot of stores and you don't even know it. You walk into Wal-Mart and they will follow you on video the whole time. My cousin is a manager at one.

Last edited:

Mlutz

That is the way it was for me at the Farm & Fleet in Hallie, I have OD'd there more than 50 times, until another open carrier that never had an issue at the store heard about the policy and went to the costumer service and asked. Two days later I was asked to take my firearm to my vehicle. I handed the manager my basket and told him that I won't spend another penny here.

You can go ahead and OC and spend money there, I repsect your choice. But the feelings I am experiencing right now, I understand the negative sentiment towards me when I wrote that I OC and spend money at a store that is on the boycott list just because I was not ever kicked out of this specific store.

I expect I will excercise more solidarity with fellow open carriers in the future.

Thanks. :)

Now, I was the first one who was pretty much kicked out of THIS store after buying roughly $400 in ammo. The girl at the checkout charged me for an extra box of ammo, I wasnt about to pay for an extra box and not get it. I asked for my money back, and she said to go to the service desk. I waited there for 20 minutes, with the managers all looking at me and standing around. Finally, I told them what the problem was. They had to go count the ammo sitting on the floor, to make sure I wasnt lying. What if someone else in the store bought a box? Either way, I got my refund, and the manager asked me to "leave that in the car next time". (That being my lawfully carried firearm.)
The next week I went to pick up a new shotgun at gander in Baraboo. I stopped into f&f to ask if it was corporate policy or just a manager that didnt know/care for firearms. I was told it was in fact corporate policy. I asked for a number for a "higher up", contacted him (as did many others on this forum. Thank you all by the way.) Found out it was. I will NEVER go into a f&f EVER again.
Bottom line, if you want to shop there, I will not try to stop you. But I will also never stand up with you if something goes wrong and you need support. I will agree they do have great prices on ammo. But Gander Mountain just down the road will price match. That sealed the deal for me.

theoicarry

Thanks. :)

Now, I was the first one who was pretty much kicked out of THIS store after buying roughly $400 in ammo. The girl at the checkout charged me for an extra box of ammo, I wasnt about to pay for an extra box and not get it. I asked for my money back, and she said to go to the service desk. I waited there for 20 minutes, with the managers all looking at me and standing around. Finally, I told them what the problem was. They had to go count the ammo sitting on the floor, to make sure I wasnt lying. What if someone else in the store bought a box? Either way, I got my refund, and the manager asked me to "leave that in the car next time". (That being my lawfully carried firearm.)
The next week I went to pick up a new shotgun at gander in Baraboo. I stopped into f&f to ask if it was corporate policy or just a manager that didnt know/care for firearms. I was told it was in fact corporate policy. I asked for a number for a "higher up", contacted him (as did many others on this forum. Thank you all by the way.) Found out it was. I will NEVER go into a f&f EVER again.
Bottom line, if you want to shop there, I will not try to stop you. But I will also never stand up with you if something goes wrong and you need support. I will agree they do have great prices on ammo. But Gander Mountain just down the road will price match. That sealed the deal for me.

Apparently there is some lack of information among employees and management.
I will no longer shop there as well

Trip20

No judging here... this is just how I personally choose to handle these things...

If I have successfully carried somewhere in the past, I would never ask an employee/manager about their firearm/carry policy. It's an assumed "yes" until told otherwise and I don't want to give them the perfect opportunity to tell me "no". This is especially the case with an employee. An uninformed employee's opinion is not something I'm interested in challenging.

theoicarry

No judging here... this is just how I personally choose to handle these things...

If I have successfully carried somewhere in the past, I would never ask an employee/manager about their firearm/carry policy. It's an assumed "yes" until told otherwise and I don't want to give them the perfect opportunity to tell me "no". This is especially the case with an employee. An uninformed employee's opinion is not something I'm interested in challenging.

You are so correct!

Mlutz

If this was directed at me, I had oc'd there a few times prior to being asked not to carry. After I was asked, I returned to ask for further info.

If this wasn't for me, please disregard this post. Lol.

Trip20

If this was directed at me, I had oc'd there a few times prior to being asked not to carry. After I was asked, I returned to ask for further info.

If this wasn't for me, please disregard this post. Lol.

Not directed at you :)

It was a general statement as to how I avoid conversations about open carry with store associates in locations where I've successfully carried.

A situation like yours (if I'm reading it correctly) where I'm being confronted and asked not to carry... I would typically do what you did, which is go higher in the food chain for further clarification on the store/corporate policy.

LOERetired

looked a bit shady

Stay Warm!!!

This isn't true, the person who looked a bit shady was me and they kicked me out, I'm bald and have barb wire tatoo's on both arms, however, even though I look shady, I'm a retired Federal Law Enforcement Officer. Yes, they are OC unfriendly in Baraboo. I was also the one the Baraboo police kept stoping for OCing several times. I don't live there anymore, moved to Madison, and then to Lodi.

Don

theoicarry

This isn't true, the person who looked a bit shady was me and they kicked me out, I'm bald and have barb wire tatoo's on both arms, however, even though I look shady, I'm a retired Federal Law Enforcement Officer. Yes, they are OC unfriendly in Baraboo. I was also the one the Baraboo police kept stoping for OCing several times. I don't live there anymore, moved to Madison, and then to Lodi.

Don

Hey Don
Last time I saw you was at the West Baraboo oc last September. You did not look shady to me. Of course there was sun, so most of us stood in the shade.
I guess I am done with this store. Tempted to oc there on Saturday! Just because.
Either they allow it or do not?????
Ted

Mlutz

Hey Don
Last time I saw you was at the West Baraboo oc last September. You did not look shady to me. Of course there was sun, so most of us stood in the shade.
I guess I am done with this store. Tempted to oc there on Saturday! Just because.
Ted

I'm not sure how I can make this absolutely clear other than this...

"Thank you for your inquiry. Blain's Farm & Fleet does have a "Weapons Free Environment" policy. Our policy reads in part, "To safeguard our employees, our customers and the general public, we absolutely prohibit any employee, vendor, supplier or customer to bring or possess firearms (including but not limited to handguns, regardless of any authorized permit), explosives or any dangerous weapons or objects on Blain's Farm & Fleet premises or at Blain's Farm & Fleet sponsored events."

Best Regards,

Gary H.

Vice President - Loss Prevention / Risk Management "

They DO NOT ALLOW IT! It is a corporate policy.

LOERetired

Hey Don
Ted

I know, I've not been too active, got a new job with American Family Insurance in Madison in the Data Center and I baught a bass boat so, I've been busy bass fishing on Lake Wisconsin all summer.