• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to California and have some questions

pro2A

I'm flying out to California next week to visit my family. I know OC is legal out there and I plan on carrying, but I do have a few questions. I will be in Shasta county in the Redding area. About the only thing I do know in Cali is that LEO's can stop you to check your firearm to make sure it is not loaded. So my questions are as follows:

1. Can I keep a loaded mag separate from the gun?
2. Are there any mag restrictions? More specifically amount of rounds.
2. Are there restrictions on carrying in certain areas/towns/cities etc...
3. Are hollow points legal?
4. How do you legally transport in a vehicle?
5. As a non California resident, how can I carry a non registered handgun since I don't have registration in my state?

Thanks in advance.

Iopencarry

I'm flying out to California next week to visit my family. I know OC is legal out there and I plan on carrying, but I do have a few questions. I will be in Shasta county in the Redding area. About the only thing I do know in Cali is that LEO's can stop you to check your firearm to make sure it is not loaded. So my questions are as follows:

1. Can I keep a loaded mag separate from the gun? Yes, but it must also be carried 'open'. just use a mag pouch.
2. Are there any mag restrictions? More specifically amount of rounds. 10 rounds max
2. Are there restrictions on carrying in certain areas/towns/cities etc... must look out for the 1000' gun free school zones. Can not carry inside any government building, and not on post office property.
3. Are hollow points legal? yes
4. How do you legally transport in a vehicle? UOC is legal inside your vech. But watch out for the school zones, they still apply. or/ must be locked inside a secure container, unloaded. Must not carry insode glove box or center council of vech.
5. As a non California resident, how can I carry a non registered handgun since I don't have registration in my state? Does not have to be registered. Just be legally owned.

Thanks in advance.

First, I hope you have a safe and fun visit in CA. PM me for any other questions and I will help all I can.
I will not be the one to say "do not open carry" as I carry every day. But, you might want to give it a lot of thought before you do.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

1. Can I keep a loaded mag separate from the gun?
2. Are there any mag restrictions? More specifically amount of rounds.
2. Are there restrictions on carrying in certain areas/towns/cities etc...
3. Are hollow points legal?
4. How do you legally transport in a vehicle?
5. As a non California resident, how can I carry a non registered handgun since I don't have registration in my state?

Thanks in advance.

This is a laymen's understanding of the law... I am not an attorney.

1) Yes.
2) Yes. Since you are not from here and you were not in possession of your magazines prior to the law limiting mags to ten rounds, you should leave all magazines with the capacity to hold more than 10 rounds at home.
2?) Depends. If you are speaking of UOC, yes, there are some places you can't go. School zones and gov buldings are no go.
3) Yes, hollow points are legal here.
4) Most transport their firearms in a secure locked case to avoid any drama. This is an exemption for concealed carry and the gun free school zones laws.
5) Id have to look that one up... I dont recall the specifics.