Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: First time OC'ing, bad experience. (NC)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dunn, NC
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs down First time OC'ing, bad experience. (NC)

    Hey guys and gals! I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I myself have just started OC'ing and my experience today was far from what I was hoping. Just thought I would share and get some input from you.

    For a bit of background, my name is John and I am currently a full time (6 1/2 days a week) computer technician and network administrator. I reside in the small town of Dunn, NC which is about 45 minutes south of Raleigh. Before this, I was a volunteer firefighter and Paramedic in my area. My father is a retired Sheriff's Deputy (for about 20 years) and local small town LEO. Like my father, I also served two tours in the armed forces. With these factors, I am familiar with the laws governing firearms in the US and also the theories and tactics used in combat/tactical shooting.

    With that being said, I figured I'd give OC a go. I own a number of firearms for target shooting and home defense but the only pistol I own is a Glock 21. As most of you know, the 21 is no small firearm so having it on your side is fairly obvious.

    I took the time to get situated before my first time out. I've heard that the less you look like a thug, the less likely you'll be treated like one. I had a fresh haircut (still high and tight, oorah!) and clean shaven. As usual I wore a navy blue t-shirt, khaki cargo pants and black Bate's Tactical boots. This is my attire nearly 7 days a week so it works great. I went ahead and stuck my wallet and phone in my left cargo pocket and kept my keys, as usual, on a carabiner on my left hip. This way, if I have to reach for *anything*, I won't be reaching near my sidearm. Usually my phone is where my holster is at and my wallet is in my back right pocket... so I moved them just to be on the safe side.

    I leave the house, butterflies subside and I reach Food Lion. I already know I need toilet paper, a light bulb for my porch light and some 2 liter drinks so I quickly find everything I came for and proceed to checkout. No looks from anyone, no gasps, no running for the hills. I started to feel a bit at ease and by the time it was my turn to get rang up I had almost forgot that I was carrying.

    After making it to the cashier, I tell her I need a pack of Camels as well and that's it. I had to show her where to look for them but I didn't mind one bit. She comes back over and asks for my ID so I hand it over to her. Almost immediately, she glanced down at my side and handed my card back over.

    "Why the in the HELL do you have a gun?!?"

    At this point, I have at least 6 people turning to stare at me.

    "It's perfectly legal in the state of NC, as well as most other states for a person to openly carry a firearm." I said.

    "That CAN'T be legal!"

    "Ma'am, rest assured, it is legal. I have it for personal protection, that's all."

    "You're scaring the hell out me. Have a good day."


    So I stood there dumbfounded for a moment and realized that she hadn't even taken my cash yet. That could only mean one thing and that was that I needed to leave.

    I made the walk of shame (if you can call it that) and realized I still needed the toilet paper and all that jazz, so I made a trip to Kroger, secured everything in my truck and got what I needed.


    So to make a rather long story short, I'm not sure if I should even bother OC'ing again. I'd get my CCP but I have a relentless work schedule and simply can't find the time to do it.

    Are reactions like that commonplace in today's world or did I just have an off day? Any input is appreciated.


    I hope everyone enjoys their weekend!
    Last edited by NCSmokeEater; 08-07-2011 at 05:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    I think you just had the unusual bad encounter, and on your first trip, it's not a confidence builder.

    I've carried all around Virginia, and in western NC a lot, with never a reaction like that.

    You could have simply stated "I'm ready to pay for this now." and let it go, but I certainly understand how you were discomfited by her reaction. Hope that it doesn't turn you off OC completely -- apparently your trip to Kroger was uneventful.

    Sorry your first trip had to turn out this way.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,623
    Sniff, sniff - that ain't smoke, now is it?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Lokster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Unincorporated Jefferson County
    Posts
    126
    It's too bad that your first experience OC'ing was a bit of a downer for you, but it sounds like you made the decision to leave w/o your groceries or speaking with a store manager over the incident; bad call IMHO. I wouldn't give up on OC because of the fears of sheeple. You should still get in touch with the store manager maybe by phone or email and explain the situation to them. The way that the cashier acted was very unprofessional and they lost some business (your money) as a result.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    40

    Where's the manager?

    I'd like to speak to the manager.... I'd be looking up the manager and explaining how rude I was treated.

    I'm the customer, I don't appreciate being yelled at and refused service.

    Don't let that discourage you after awhile you'll get enough confidence to open carry all the time..

  6. #6
    Regular Member Savage206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    53
    I have open carried in Kroger a few times in Lexington, KY here and so far have not had anything said to me. I KNOW the cashiers have seen my pistol on my hip. I would probably have asked to speak to a manager to just get clarity on the official store policy, and if told that I could not carry in there I would mention this website and how we have a DO NOT PATRONIZE list on a forum with thousands of members and how they would not just be losing my business....

    but yah stick with Kroger I have had good experiences in that store.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    You will have to ask Grapeshot how he handled a sort-of-similar experience at his local Food Lion, and what the outcome of that event was.

    Suffice it to say that a calm sit-down with the manager, and perhaps carrying a printout of the state and local laws governing firearms, can go a long way towards resolving both employee concerns and improving customer service. (BTW - this is one of the reasons so many of us carry digital voice recorders - so we can play back what was said instead of relying on he said/she said storytelling.)

    And kudos for the second wind of going to Kroger and finding out that at least they know the OCers are the good guys.

    It seems that shopping for TP is replacing The Walmart Walk http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texas-concealed-handgun-chl-sponsored-double-action-chl/11548-1st-time-concealed-carry-walmart-walk.htmlas the first OC experience. No biggie. Just glad to hear you got it out of your system.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    That is an unusual encounter for a Food Lion, not only have I OC in FL I have seen plenty of others do it. I believe you got a rouge cashier who does not understand her job. Maybe she sensed you were unsure and took advantage of it. I am sure she has seen others OC in that Food Lion. I even had a FL manager at one time ask me to accompany him to the bank to make a drop, we were friends at the time. They also had an employee robbed making a drop. I declined and suggested he contact the local law enforcement to escort or standby while he made the deposit. I do not know if FL has a official policy other than employees are not allowed to pack in the stores. You should not let her stop you from shopping while OCing at FL.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    four oaks nc
    Posts
    11

    dont worry bout it

    Quote Originally Posted by NCSmokeEater View Post
    Hey guys and gals! I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I myself have just started OC'ing and my experience today was far from what I was hoping. Just thought I would share and get some input from you.

    For a bit of background, my name is John and I am currently a full time (6 1/2 days a week) computer technician and network administrator. I reside in the small town of Dunn, NC which is about 45 minutes south of Raleigh. Before this, I was a volunteer firefighter and Paramedic in my area. My father is a retired Sheriff's Deputy (for about 20 years) and local small town LEO. Like my father, I also served two tours in the armed forces. With these factors, I am familiar with the laws governing firearms in the US and also the theories and tactics used in combat/tactical shooting.

    With that being said, I figured I'd give OC a go. I own a number of firearms for target shooting and home defense but the only pistol I own is a Glock 21. As most of you know, the 21 is no small firearm so having it on your side is fairly obvious.

    I took the time to get situated before my first time out. I've heard that the less you look like a thug, the less likely you'll be treated like one. I had a fresh haircut (still high and tight, oorah!) and clean shaven. As usual I wore a navy blue t-shirt, khaki cargo pants and black Bate's Tactical boots. This is my attire nearly 7 days a week so it works great. I went ahead and stuck my wallet and phone in my left cargo pocket and kept my keys, as usual, on a carabiner on my left hip. This way, if I have to reach for *anything*, I won't be reaching near my sidearm. Usually my phone is where my holster is at and my wallet is in my back right pocket... so I moved them just to be on the safe side.

    I leave the house, butterflies subside and I reach Food Lion. I already know I need toilet paper, a light bulb for my porch light and some 2 liter drinks so I quickly find everything I came for and proceed to checkout. No looks from anyone, no gasps, no running for the hills. I started to feel a bit at ease and by the time it was my turn to get rang up I had almost forgot that I was carrying.

    After making it to the cashier, I tell her I need a pack of Camels as well and that's it. I had to show her where to look for them but I didn't mind one bit. She comes back over and asks for my ID so I hand it over to her. Almost immediately, she glanced down at my side and handed my card back over.

    "Why the in the HELL do you have a gun?!?"

    At this point, I have at least 6 people turning to stare at me.

    "It's perfectly legal in the state of NC, as well as most other states for a person to openly carry a firearm." I said.

    "That CAN'T be legal!"

    "Ma'am, rest assured, it is legal. I have it for personal protection, that's all."

    "You're scaring the hell out me. Have a good day."


    So I stood there dumbfounded for a moment and realized that she hadn't even taken my cash yet. That could only mean one thing and that was that I needed to leave.

    I made the walk of shame (if you can call it that) and realized I still needed the toilet paper and all that jazz, so I made a trip to Kroger, secured everything in my truck and got what I needed.


    So to make a rather long story short, I'm not sure if I should even bother OC'ing again. I'd get my CCP but I have a relentless work schedule and simply can't find the time to do it.

    Are reactions like that commonplace in today's world or did I just have an off day? Any input is appreciated.


    I hope everyone enjoys their weekend!
    i live in four oaks nc, and been to food lion in smithfield and was oc, and never had an encounter from there or any where else, gas stations, etc. like you said, its how you act and dress that plays a big part. you will be surprised at how many people, smile, nod, hand shakes, hold doors open for you, when they see you are oc ing. oh course i normally wear a dress shirt dress pants and tie, so maybe they think im a detective,,lol. hang in there and continue to open carry it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005futch View Post
    i live in four oaks nc, and been to food lion in smithfield and was oc, and never had an encounter from there or any where else, gas stations, etc. like you said, its how you act and dress that plays a big part. you will be surprised at how many people, smile, nod, hand shakes, hold doors open for you, when they see you are oc ing. oh course i normally wear a dress shirt dress pants and tie, so maybe they think im a detective,,lol. hang in there and continue to open carry it.
    I have very long hair, a very long beard, but I am usually wearing a button shirt and good jeans, and never ever have had a negative word said in years. In fact I carry a SA colt in a leather rig that definable could not be construed as law enforcement. The OP probably run into a northern import person(Yankee) who is not aware of southern customs and laws.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    "I'm ready to pay for this now.... or do I need to have a word with your Supervisor about your rudeness to a customer?"

    Don't let it get you down, you're doing the right thing and should continue.
    While it's true that in these supposed "peaceful and modern times" that the sight of a defensive weapon is unusual, it will never Be usual unless people are exposed to it more.
    I suppose the first black family moving into a town had the same problem, if all the townspeople ever heard was reports that associated skin color with criminals. Eventually, they learned that it wasn't the external color of someone's eyes.... or their hair... or even their skin made someone act in an uncivilized way.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    I like the line, "I am ready to pay for this now." If the cashier persists in being a ninny, then a polite request for the manager would be in order. I don't know NC law, but in AL, it has to be the owner (or his agent, such as the manager) who requests you leave for that request to have any legal significance.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    Posts
    897
    Yes, you should have pressed your point; I want to pay for this, get over your conniption fit.

    You just met an ANTI, up close and personal.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

  14. #14
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lenexa, Kansas
    Posts
    423
    I've had two incidents of that nature with cashiers. I locally shop here in my home state of Kansas at Best Buy. Olathe, Kansas allows OC so I always go to that particular location. I went to Best Buy to buy a couple music albums and right as soon as I got in line to the cashiers, one of the cashiers told me straight up I will not check you out unless you go back to your car and put that "death device" as she plainly stated away. I demanded the store manager which I personally knew so he laughed about it and spoke with me apologizing as he told me she's one of the......"Hippies" as we may call it. The store manager is an X-Marine Recon of 20 years.....so he's pretty much not bothered by the site of any firearm.

    My second one was just at Oklahoma Joes BBQ joint, we called in an order and I went to the counter for pickup and they wouldn't serve me my food. 15 min. of bickering and I finally just said screw it, and told them you lost a regular customer to your joint. As soon as I made that statement the manager was behind him and he stepped foward and checked me out, also gave me gift certificates for free food for my troubles.
    Last edited by DWCook; 08-07-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

  15. #15
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by DWCook View Post
    My second one was just at Oklahoma Joes BBQ joint, we called in an order and I went to the counter for pickup and they wouldn't serve me my food. 15 min. of bickering and I finally just said screw it, and told them you lost a regular customer to your joint. As soon as I made that statement the manager was behind him and he stepped foward and checked me out, also gave me gift certificates for free food for my troubles.
    You weren't OC were you? If you were CC, how did she know you were carrying as there is a "no flash, no print" clause to the CC law here.

    Of course, a ninny is a ninny is a ninny wherever you go, so good on the manager and I hope he gave her a good dressing down!
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    You weren't OC were you? If you were CC, how did she know you were carrying as there is a "no flash, no print" clause to the CC law here.

    Of course, a ninny is a ninny is a ninny wherever you go, so good on the manager and I hope he gave her a good dressing down!
    Why wouldn't he be OCing? He's from Kansas where it's legal. Or did you get confused by the name of the BBQ place and think he was under OK's silly rules?

    I do lurv picking on the folks from the states where the "Wild West" used to be because they are usually the places that outlawed OC and still refuse to see the light.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Regular Member okboomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Why wouldn't he be OCing? He's from Kansas where it's legal. Or did you get confused by the name of the BBQ place and think he was under OK's silly rules?

    I do lurv picking on the folks from the states where the "Wild West" used to be because they are usually the places that outlawed OC and still refuse to see the light.

    stay safe.
    Yep, I thought he was in OKC at Joe's BBQ ... when in OK, no matter what your state carry laws, you have to comply with our carry laws
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

    Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •