• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eric Cantor solicits your advice

Repeater

Congressman Cantor is holding yet another 'Advisory Council Meeting' for his adoring constituents -- this time in Chesterfield County, at the Holiday Inn Koger Center Conference Center, on Wednesday, August 31, 2011, beginning at 5:30PM.

No doubt Linwood Cobb and possibly Ray Allen will be there.

Will he consider advice on how discrimination against open carry, concealed carry, and self-defense in general, at places like his Roundup event hurts Virginia gun owners, and himself, too?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have no idea if he will or not. But I'm putting the event on my calendar so that I can go there and try to ask the question.

But we need to remember, it is not Congresscritter Cantor that is directly responsible for our not being allowed to carry for defense of self and family at The Republican Roundup. It is an event sponsored by the 7th District Republican Committee for the purpose of raising funds for their candidate, and they continue to contract with Snag-a-Job Pavillion, a plot of private property which has a no-firearms policy.

So the question needs to be properly phrased. I'm thinking it ought to be along the lines of:

"Why do you continue to accept money from an organization that deliberately refuses to allow citizens to exercise the natural right of self defense? And why do you continue to do that when you have been made aware of the situation over several terms and re-election campaigns? And why do you continue to do that when alternative sites have been identified to you and the 7th District Republican Committee where no such prohibition would be imposed and meet all of the stated criteria of the 7th District Republican Committee for the location of The Republican Roundup?"

Anybody else who wants to copy that down on a 3x5 (or larger) card and have it available to read and/or submit as a written question is hereby granted permission to do so. The only stipulation is that you do not attempt to make money from it without giving me a royalty payment we will negotiate in some other venue than OCDO.

For the record, here are the sites that were identified to VCDL when the first protest of The Republican Roundup at Snag-a-Job Pavillion was being planned (notice that I leave off Chesterfield County Fairgrounds because of the parking issue):

Field Day of the Past - Goochland County
Greyhaven Winery - Goochland
Henricus Historical Park
Chester Green
Science Museum of Virginia
Showplace
Richmond International Raceway
St. Joseph's Villa (questionable about ABC license)
Knights of Columbus meeting site - Gayton Rd.
Powhatan County Fair Grounds
Goochland County Fair Grounds
Henrico County Fairgrounds
Henrico County Parks - several are ABC-license eligible
Deep Run Hunt Club - needs a member to sponsor rental application
Dale Ruritan Club - Chippenham Parkway & Rt 10 in Chesterfield Co.

The above list took me less than 15 minutes of work to confirm ABC license could be obtained and that there had been past events that included "kiddie carnival" equipment set up for at least one event in the past 3 years.

If I had gone to the Greater Richmond Convention Center (another possibility but no "kiddie carnival" events so left off) and Visitors Bureau I'm sure they could have given me about half a dozen more sites.

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I understand this is a gun forum, but asking Cantor about gun rights is a little like meeting Pol Pot and asking him about a scandal surrounding his concubine.

I humbly submit for y'alls consideration some questions guaranteed to put almost any politician off his game (of BSing his victims):

http://www.gunlaws.com/the liberty poll.htm

kenny

If I lived in the 7th District I would not vote for Cantor. Many of the locations Skidmark listed are not in the 7th District and I suspect the 7th District GOP made their choice of Snag a Job based on that issue and that issue alone. It is sort of like these breakfasts and dinners you guys have. You never have any in the city because you apparently do not support the city in any way shape of fashion. I went out and found at least a half a dozen locations that seat up to several dozen people and no one responded to my list of locations. You don't practice what you preach, so why should the 7th District GOP spend their money out side of the district?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If I lived in the 7th District I would not vote for Cantor. Many of the locations Skidmark listed are not in the 7th District and I suspect the 7th District GOP made their choice of Snag a Job based on that issue and that issue alone. It is sort of like these breakfasts and dinners you guys have. You never have any in the city because you apparently do not support the city in any way shape of fashion. I went out and found at least a half a dozen locations that seat up to several dozen people and no one responded to my list of locations. You don't practice what you preach, so why should the 7th District GOP spend their money out side of the district?

We DO practice what we preach. You want a dinner in the City of Richmond? Set one up, post it and those that wish to attend will do so. It is really that simple.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We DO practice what we preach. You want a dinner in the City of Richmond? Set one up, post it and those that wish to attend will do so. It is really that simple.

We do meet there on occasion Grape. Remember the diner where the young lady was showing me where she carried her knife:eek::shocker:
Coulda hid a Bowie between those:cool:

Anyway....back to Skidmarks idea.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Last edited:

ManInBlack

Re: Eric Cantor Solicits Your Advice

Take the first leaky boat to China and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If I lived in the 7th District I would not vote for Cantor. Many of the locations Skidmark listed are not in the 7th District and I suspect the 7th District GOP made their choice of Snag a Job based on that issue and that issue alone. snipped as not relevant , so why should the 7th District GOP spend their money out side of the district?

And yet, many of the venues are within the 7th District, and are slightly more central than Snag-a-Job. And I'm confident that if I had spent more than 15 minutes doing a basic Google search for "Richmond metro area" I could have found sites much more centrally located within the 7th District.

But that's not the point, because if Congrescritter Cantor actually cared about the issue he would have discussed it with the 7th District Committee and told them he could not acccept money raised by them because of the firearms prohibition issue. Since he has repeatedly been informed of the issue and continues to accept money from the 7th District's Republican Roundup it appears the issue is not important to him. And that's what this is all about - making public the fact that 1) the issue is not important to Cantor, and 2) the event could have been held at a location (well within the 7th District) that does not prohibit defense of self and family if he felt the issue was important.

stay safe.

TFred

I bet you'd never see a Democrat in national leadership attending a fund-raiser at a pro-life Crisis Pregnancy center.

I bet you'd never see Cantor attending a fund-raiser at a Planned Parenthood facility either.

Yet he doesn't have any problem whatsoever with an anti-gun venue.

There is a certain amount of significance to these observations.

I'm just saying...

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I bet you'd never see a Democrat in national leadership attending a fund-raiser at a pro-life Crisis Pregnancy center.

I bet you'd never see Cantor attending a fund-raiser at a Planned Parenthood facility either.

Yet he doesn't have any problem whatsoever with an anti-gun venue.

There is a certain amount of significance to these observations.

I'm just saying...

TFred

A LOT of significance, me thinks.

TFred

Well, what it tells me is that Second Amendment issues are pretty far down on the list of platform items for the national Republican party.

I think we need to go on a RINO hunt... ha ha ha...

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Well, what it tells me is that Second Amendment issues are pretty far down on the list of platform items for the national Republican party.

Well of course it is pretty far down the list. The Republicans are just as much in it for power and personal gain as the Democrats. Both sides know they only need NOT to attack gun rights; they don't actually have to push a pro-gun agenda, just avoid an anti-gun agenda openly declared.

Having helped push millions out of work and having helped to wreck the economy, they've created for themselves a whole new set of issues to lie to the public about in order to get themselves elected. They can afford to have guns low on the list, both Republicans and Democrats.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well of course it is pretty far down the list. The Republicans are just as much in it for power and personal gain as the Democrats. Both sides know they only need NOT to attack gun rights; they don't actually have to push a pro-gun agenda, just avoid an anti-gun agenda openly declared.

Way down the list.:uhoh:
A year or so ago I told two of our younger members to keep a journal because we were making history.

Our idiot representatives have brought the country to a crumbling mess.

Elections this year will be energetic, next year more so, and both parties are busy pointing a finger at the other trying to place the blame.

The gun issues are going to come up this year, only because Obama has lost his support base and is trying to sneak in new gun control so the Soccer Moms will vote for him. Nearly everyone running for office will be trying to find a way to make that go away without taking a firm stance.