• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eric Cantor solicits your advice

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A politico's position on Gun rights/Second Amendment are IMHO emblematic of his projected voting on any given position.

It is big government v small government - it is personal responsibility v entitlement - it is freedom v control.

Check out an incumbent's voting record or look at a challenger's willingness to step up and support us publicly, to take a position. There lies a great predictor of their attitude and responsibility.

"Cantor can't" look you in the eye and honestly say that he is defending his constituency.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I'm reserving judgment. So far, Cantor's the best thing I've seen going in the House of Reps. I think that, from a practical perspective, the dude's got to get himself re-elected, and he's doing what's necessary to accomplish that. He leans more toward being a "Constitutional fundamentalist", as I am, than anyone else I've seen in the U.S. legislature, and he's light years ahead of the atavistic barbarian demagogues in the Executive branch. (As a member of the bar and an officer of the Court, I am not permitted, in violation of my rights under the First Amendment, to comment on the Judiciary.)

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. As of this moment, I'd do anything I could to get Cantor re-elected. I think he ought to be in the Senate, actually. I think he's smart, intellectually honest, pragmatic, and understands the need for constitutional government. I don't think the Republican de-facto candidate for Senate has the same qualities (George something, I think, whose father was a famous football guy of some kind). I'm sure he's a really decent person and has a lot of good qualities; but I get the impression that he's a "system" guy who supports the reactionaries rather than the conservatives, and it's people like that who got Obama elected. Most of the American public didn't care what kind of "change" was being offered, and Obama never did say; and they elected him having no idea what his plans were specifically because the reactionaries who took over The Party after the Reagan administration were more concerned about their security than that of the nation. As the people of the former Soviet empire discovered, having a "bureau of state security" can be a threat to national security.

I'm in favor of Constitutional government, and I think Cantor's a voice crying in the wilderness in that regard. I'm for him.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He could go a long way to cementing that relationship, if he would stand up and give more than lip service to supporting my right to defend myself and mine.

Maybe if I could truly "hear" his message in person, we could enter into more meaningful discourse.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
But that's not the point, because if Congrescritter Cantor actually cared about the issue he would have discussed it with the 7th District Committee and told them he could not acccept money raised by them because of the firearms prohibition issue. Since he has repeatedly been informed of the issue and continues to accept money from the 7th District's Republican Roundup it appears the issue is not important to him. And that's what this is all about - making public the fact that 1) the issue is not important to Cantor, and 2) the event could have been held at a location (well within the 7th District) that does not prohibit defense of self and family if he felt the issue was important.

stay safe.

C'mon, skid. Can you really cite more than one (and I'm stretching by allowing there may be one) politician who will turn down campaign money? Especially from his party organization? Ain't gonna happen, and until the 7th District leadership changes, we're ******* in the wind here.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
C'mon, skid. Can you really cite more than one (and I'm stretching by allowing there may be one) politician who will turn down campaign money? Especially from his party organization? Ain't gonna happen, and until the 7th District leadership changes, we're ******* in the wind here.

Well, yes. But they were folks who gave money back when the publicity became too great to continue ignoring the blatant badness of the contributing group. Names slip my mind at the moment.

And no, I'm not actually expecting Cantor to refuse the money. I'm just looking to hear him say the issue is, or is not, important enough to him to ask them to move the location. I want him to say it out loud, not say it is not important by merely not addressing it at all.

And if we are, in fact, just ******* in the wind then in my book it's worth the effort to create the stink.

stay safe.

Repeater

I'm reserving judgment. So far, Cantor's the best thing I've seen going in the House of Reps.

He was useless in the House of Delegates.

When Wilder was Governor, he proudly voted for One Handgun a Month and was prepared to vote to close the so-called gun show loophole.

Instead of explaining his actions to the Richmond media, he declared in the Virginian-Pilot that he voted for gun control because most of his constituents wanted it. He has never substantiated that claim.

He has never publicly stated since that he regrets his gun control votes or that he made any mistakes while in the House of Delegates.

With regard to the Roundup, he bleated on WTVR that he has always defended the Second Amendment. That is a lie. But the Roundup prohibition is a civil rights issue -- "Your kind not welcome."

Instead of defending the civil rights of Virginia gun owners, he dodges the issue.

He is not trustworthy.

Repeater

I have no idea if he will or not. But I'm putting the event on my calendar so that I can go there and try to ask the question.

But we need to remember, it is not Congresscritter Cantor that is directly responsible for our not being allowed to carry for defense of self and family at The Republican Roundup. It is an event sponsored by the 7th District Republican Committee for the purpose of raising funds for their candidate, and they continue to contract with Snag-a-Job Pavillion, a plot of private property which has a no-firearms policy.

Please recognize that Linwood Cobb almost always shows up with Cantor, even in Chesterfield County. He useually runs interference in order to make Eric look good.

Gun owners could confront Cobb and demand answers from him. Be sure and not OC in his presence or he might run away; yes, he's that's scared of weapons.

As for Ray Allen, he was the main political consultant for George Allen's first run for U.S. Senate. Why did George take so long to decide that, as Senator, he would vote not to renew the AWB? Did Ray give George bad advice?

You see, there are important RKBA questions one could ask the Cantor Entourage.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
Gun owners could confront Cobb and demand answers from him. Be sure and not OC in his presence or he might run away; yes, he's that's scared of weapons.

Did that at a district meet up last year in Manakin-Sabot. Lynwood was there resplendent in his seersucker suit, trying to ignore us. Accused me of being a one issue voter and then would not talk about the issue - typical. :confused:

Is mom, apple pie and the RKBA a single issue?

p.publius

Floyd Bayne...

I'm reserving judgment. [Snip...]

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. As of this moment, I'd do anything I could to get Cantor re-elected. [Snip again...]

I'm in favor of Constitutional government, and I think Cantor's a voice crying in the wilderness in that regard. I'm for him.

Perhaps, Sir, you missed any of Floyd Bayne's 2010 campaign stops... Cantor [won't] would not even debate Mr. Bayne because he (Cantor) knew that his (Cantor's) RINO record would show how conservative Floyd is. Yes he ran as an Independent Green but that is because IIRC the Republican party of Virginia would not even entertain a primary. Next year I think Floyd will run under the Virginia Conservative Party. At least I hope so!

Repeater

Did that at a district meet up last year in Manakin-Sabot. Lynwood was there resplendent in his seersucker suit, trying to ignore us. Accused me of being a one issue voter and then would not talk about the issue - typical. :confused:

Is mom, apple pie and the RKBA a single issue?

Right, and photos of the event clearly showed Cobb looking terribly ill-at-ease. His face looked at though he were sucking on a lemon.

Wonder if those photos are still around?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Perhaps, Sir, you missed any of Floyd Bayne's 2010 campaign stops... Cantor [won't] would not even debate Mr. Bayne because he (Cantor) knew that his (Cantor's) RINO record would show how conservative Floyd is. Yes he ran as an Independent Green but that is because IIRC the Republican party of Virginia would not even entertain a primary. Next year I think Floyd will run under the Virginia Conservative Party. At least I hope so!

Is that the same Floyd Baynes that demanded to see a CHP from OC'ers in his store?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Right, and photos of the event clearly showed Cobb looking terribly ill-at-ease. His face looked at though he were sucking on a lemon.

Wonder if those photos are still around?

http://news.oldva.org/?p=1325

_mg_6066.jpg

normal_le5.jpg

Attachments

• normal_le5.jpg
    normal_le5.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

p.publius

Can't Say...

Is that the same Floyd Baynes that demanded to see a CHP from OC'ers in his store?

Floyd Bayne (no 's') may have, as his family owned grocery stores in that area.

But there again, I have become so much better educated about RKBA here, and because of people like you, User, Citizen, Skidmark, Ed et al. Floyd has spent a lot of time educating himself, as I have.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

p.publius

Education

Did you discuss this comment with Floyd? I know Floyd to be a straight shooter [pun intended], and he is open to ideas that fit the constitutional model. Perhaps Like Davy Crockett and his epiphany after speaking to Horatio Bunce, Floyd would have benefited from your wisdom, as I have.

http://samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com...sent-congress-could-learn-from-davy-crockett/

Repeater

Why thank you

http://news.oldva.org/?p=1325

_mg_6066.jpg

Yes, you deliver.

And, as an extra benefit, you provide your famous 'Housecleaning' essay. Worth reading again.

Does the GOP need, and deserve, a Housecleaning?

Indeed. Consider Michelle Malkin's ire directed at Orin Hatch:

I oppose Orrin Hatch’s re-election

Now, while good 'ole Orin has been okay to pretty good on RKBA issues, he has the audacity to describe himself as a Tea Party person. I suppose Eric will soon follow suit.

eleph2.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Did you discuss this comment with Floyd? I know Floyd to be a straight shooter [pun intended], and he is open to ideas that fit the constitutional model. Perhaps Like Davy Crockett and his epiphany after speaking to Horatio Bunce, Floyd would have benefited from your wisdom, as I have.

http://samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com...sent-congress-could-learn-from-davy-crockett/

I did indeed.
He was concerned because Old Virginia would not endorse him. It was not exactly a pleasant discussion and until he was told I videoed it, denied it.
I'm afraid Floyd, as some others, consider what you call "wisdom"...being an *******.:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Now, while good 'ole Orin has been okay to pretty good on RKBA issues, he has the audacity to describe himself as a Tea Party person. I suppose Eric will soon follow suit.

eleph2.jpg

After watching the market dump today, I expect the Tea Party will have a lot of new converts.

Last edited:

p.publius

The Socratic Method

I did indeed.
He was concerned because Old Virginia would not endorse him. It was not exactly a pleasant discussion and until he was told I videoed it, denied it.
I'm afraid Floyd, as some others, consider what you call "wisdom"...being an *******.:lol:

I am a persistent learner and a persistent teacher. Do you think you could be more persistent?