• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

bought pistol today..need a quick opening safe

spiderjohn

Howdy! bout my first pistol today...xd 45 compact! can't wait until it arrives.

I have a son and we have discussed gun safety and we will be shooting a .22 at the range soon. Education is key I know..but I want another level of protection. I've done some research on the web and have looked at some safes that are out there. What do you use at home? What are the pros and cons? I need it to be secure enough to keep a gun out of prying hands but able to open it quickly if it is needed. I figure I will be getting more handguns so a larger yet portable one would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I am currently using the Minivault Deluxe by GunVault. I have it sitting on top of my rifle safe secured in to the wall stud with anchors. It provides quick access. The batteries last forever even with daily use. It's large enough to hold multiple handguns. Has finger grooves so you can find the right buttons in the dark if needed. I am pleased with it overall.

WalkingWolf

A lot depends on your budget, and how much security you desire. If you just want to keep the gun from a child hands bolt a tool box to the floor of your closet with a security padlock. The safest place for your handgun while you are awake is on your hip. This gives you a higher level of control over the firearm and teaches the child the firearm is not a toy. It also lets any bad guys in your neighborhood you are armed and prepared if you wear it outdoors.

I keep my firearms in a safe bolted to the wall of my bedroom, it uses a one of those round style keys that inserts very fast. I wear it on a leather lace around the neck. But I do not have children at home(grown) I store them there for the security of the firearms. There is always three firearms that are not in the safe during the day though, a shotgun, rifle, and pistol. Not for bad guys but for critters such as snakes, possums, and raccoons. I made the mistake over a year ago of going out without a weapon while collecting eggs and got struck twice by a copperhead. I was lucky he did not get venom in, but he got away, and I lost several chickens to him. Remember you never know when you may need your tools.

Safes can be had for less than $100 small box to several thousand dollar wall safes. Depending on your space and budget a consideration is turning a closet into a safe room, but this is very expensive. But may be worth it, people have survived hurricanes and tornadoes in safe rooms when the rest of the house is shredded. I know this is a OC site but there are other concerns to child safety than just bad guys, other dangerous items could be stored in the safe room.

cbpeck

I like the Gun Vault Multi that sits on the bottom shelf of my night stand.

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/multi-multi-deluxe.html

I like having space for two guns because I have a smaller XD-40 Sub for CC and a 1911 for OC & HD. For me, the "deluxe" version included unnecessary features at a premium price, and I like the idea of KISS for products like this.

Compact, quick entry boxes are nice compliments to larger safes that require more time to access.

Last edited:

rlacsamana1989

I don't know if you found a safe yet but a great safe I just picked up for under 25.00 bucks. Its a Bunker Hill Safe #94985

I have it mounted in a filing drawer next to my bed and is hidden behind files. Easy to enter your code and it opens right up.

I will be storing my Sig P239 in there aslong as my wallet and keys.

The only place that sells it is Habor Frieght which I just happen to have 2 in a 25 mile radius if you do not just order it online.

GuidoZ

I don't know if you found a safe yet but a great safe I just picked up for under 25.00 bucks. Its a Bunker Hill Safe #94985

I have it mounted in a filing drawer next to my bed and is hidden behind files. Easy to enter your code and it opens right up.

I will be storing my Sig P239 in there aslong as my wallet and keys.

The only place that sells it is Habor Frieght which I just happen to have 2 in a 25 mile radius if you do not just order it online.
Here's a link for the lazy. :D I'm also looking for a safe (young children) - thanks for the OP and replies.

--
Peace. ~G

REALteach4u

I'm surprised that someone hasn't developed a child-safe magnetic lock system for a gun safe that will allow quick retrieval.

Aknazer

I like the Gun Vault Multi that sits on the bottom shelf of my night stand.

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/multi-multi-deluxe.html

I like having space for two guns because I have a smaller XD-40 Sub for CC and a 1911 for OC & HD. For me, the "deluxe" version included were unnecessary features at a premium price, and I like the idea of KISS for products like this.

Compact, quick entry boxes are nice compliments to larger safes that require more time to access.

This type is probably your fastest opening safe that you can get. I plan on getting something like this when my kids get older as it allows quick access.