Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: One for discussion

  1. #1
    28kfps
    Guest

    One for discussion

    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4e2_1309977569

    Some may have seen this as it was posted on another states forum
    Last edited by 28kfps; 08-14-2011 at 04:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    110
    Considering the scenario he was running, it's not unbelievable at all that he had a negligent misfire. It's definitely a life or death scenario when a suspect is that close with a gun drawn, and I believe it was the adrenalin from the scenario's realism that caused him to fire.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyray9 View Post
    Considering the scenario he was running, it's not unbelievable at all that he had a negligent misfire. It's definitely a life or death scenario when a suspect is that close with a gun drawn, and I believe it was the adrenalin from the scenario's realism that caused him to fire.
    Please tell me this is sarcasm. What scenario realism?!? This video has been discussed in several different thread. The guy shot himself because he wasn't properly using his equipment. It was 100% his fault. All he was doing was drawing and shooting from a holster in practice, no stress there.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Operator error = negligence.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    28kfps
    Guest
    I also believe it has been discussed on other threads however never on this one. Now that we all have been informed, we can go on with the discussion.
    When I am practicing defense shooting it is done with my carry gun and rig. I never mix the equipment up. In the heat of the battle or defense practicing, as I am going for my firearm I do not want to have to remember which one I am carrying in which holster. I am not sure what to think of him posting his own goof up.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 08-08-2011 at 10:37 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Please tell me this is sarcasm. What scenario realism?!? This video has been discussed in several different thread. The guy shot himself because he wasn't properly using his equipment. It was 100% his fault. All he was doing was drawing and shooting from a holster in practice, no stress there.
    my point was that it's not unbelievable for even the most properly trained person to misfire in a close situation which could mean life or death. If you wanna take your time and concentrate on every motion, tweak your grip, line up your sights, and then fire... great job, but like I said, "I believe" this guy got over zealous to get his gun out of the holster and pulled the trigger while doing so because of the placement of the target immediately in front of him, and the scenario running through his mind of "oh ****, this guy has a gun on me inches away and i need to stop the threat ASAP" made him lose sight of making sure his finger stayed off the trigger.
    yeah, it was just training. yeah, it was his fault, but getting swept up in the scenario he's training for isn't impossible

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    260
    I like the idea of that 5.11 holster and have been waiting to buy one for springfield xds. Inside thumb button verses the blackhawk serpa outside finger button. thumb vs trigger finger along slide on draw. Both seem safeish. 5.11 seems safer...how can a thumb get inside the trigger on a draw? and bad guys less likely to get on the inside of my holster than the outside...

    Well somehow this guy put his finger in the trigger guard before it came out of the holster...the holster that in fact keeps stuff out of the trigger guard? Im confused by his explanation in the vid. He says the gun did not release, cause he didnt hit the mechanism..but somehow his finger got into the trigger. I myself dont have one of these, and if I get one and find his explanation to be true, i'll return it, but the similiar designed blackhawk serpa doesn't move the gun even the slightest until that button/mechanism is pushed.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    it's worth noting that the person in this video accepted full responsibility for the mishap, and did not blame his equipment. He exposed himself to embarrassment so that others would learn from his mistake without having to experience a bullet ripping through their leg and knee to gain from it. I'm proud of him for having the courage to accept the blame and to share his story.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    it's worth noting that the person in this video accepted full responsibility for the mishap, and did not blame his equipment. He exposed himself to embarrassment so that others would learn from his mistake without having to experience a bullet ripping through their leg and knee to gain from it. I'm proud of him for having the courage to accept the blame and to share his story.
    Yep - operator error to the extreme - not equipment failure.

    This or similar can be induced with ANY holster. Simple put your finger in the trigger guard too soon and bad things may happen.

    I actually like the Serpa design, as properly trained will cause the trigger finger to be indexed, never ending up in the trigger guard. Never use the tip of the finger to release the mechanism - use the flat, extended underside of the finger! Your mileage should not vary.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4e2_1309977569

    Some may have seen this as it was posted on another states from
    Then there is no reason to cross-post it here.



    But, after watching the first slomo section, it is very clear that his finger remained in a safe location throughout the draw. THEN after fully clearing the holster, he clearly curled his finger into the trigger area, and immediately thereafter, the firearm discharged.

    This is a failure of "do NOT place your finger on the trigger until the muzzle is pointed at something you intend to place a hole in."
    Last edited by wrightme; 08-13-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •