• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One for discussion

rickyray9

Considering the scenario he was running, it's not unbelievable at all that he had a negligent misfire. It's definitely a life or death scenario when a suspect is that close with a gun drawn, and I believe it was the adrenalin from the scenario's realism that caused him to fire.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Considering the scenario he was running, it's not unbelievable at all that he had a negligent misfire. It's definitely a life or death scenario when a suspect is that close with a gun drawn, and I believe it was the adrenalin from the scenario's realism that caused him to fire.

Please tell me this is sarcasm. What scenario realism?!? This video has been discussed in several different thread. The guy shot himself because he wasn't properly using his equipment. It was 100% his fault. All he was doing was drawing and shooting from a holster in practice, no stress there.

28kfps

I also believe it has been discussed on other threads however never on this one. Now that we all have been informed, we can go on with the discussion.
When I am practicing defense shooting it is done with my carry gun and rig. I never mix the equipment up. In the heat of the battle or defense practicing, as I am going for my firearm I do not want to have to remember which one I am carrying in which holster. I am not sure what to think of him posting his own goof up.

Last edited:

rickyray9

Please tell me this is sarcasm. What scenario realism?!? This video has been discussed in several different thread. The guy shot himself because he wasn't properly using his equipment. It was 100% his fault. All he was doing was drawing and shooting from a holster in practice, no stress there.

my point was that it's not unbelievable for even the most properly trained person to misfire in a close situation which could mean life or death. If you wanna take your time and concentrate on every motion, tweak your grip, line up your sights, and then fire... great job, but like I said, "I believe" this guy got over zealous to get his gun out of the holster and pulled the trigger while doing so because of the placement of the target immediately in front of him, and the scenario running through his mind of "oh ****, this guy has a gun on me inches away and i need to stop the threat ASAP" made him lose sight of making sure his finger stayed off the trigger.
yeah, it was just training. yeah, it was his fault, but getting swept up in the scenario he's training for isn't impossible

Lostlittlerobot

I like the idea of that 5.11 holster and have been waiting to buy one for springfield xds. Inside thumb button verses the blackhawk serpa outside finger button. thumb vs trigger finger along slide on draw. Both seem safeish. 5.11 seems safer...how can a thumb get inside the trigger on a draw? and bad guys less likely to get on the inside of my holster than the outside...

Well somehow this guy put his finger in the trigger guard before it came out of the holster...the holster that in fact keeps stuff out of the trigger guard? Im confused by his explanation in the vid. He says the gun did not release, cause he didnt hit the mechanism..but somehow his finger got into the trigger. I myself dont have one of these, and if I get one and find his explanation to be true, i'll return it, but the similiar designed blackhawk serpa doesn't move the gun even the slightest until that button/mechanism is pushed.

Nevada carrier

it's worth noting that the person in this video accepted full responsibility for the mishap, and did not blame his equipment. He exposed himself to embarrassment so that others would learn from his mistake without having to experience a bullet ripping through their leg and knee to gain from it. I'm proud of him for having the courage to accept the blame and to share his story.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
it's worth noting that the person in this video accepted full responsibility for the mishap, and did not blame his equipment. He exposed himself to embarrassment so that others would learn from his mistake without having to experience a bullet ripping through their leg and knee to gain from it. I'm proud of him for having the courage to accept the blame and to share his story.

Yep - operator error to the extreme - not equipment failure.

This or similar can be induced with ANY holster. Simple put your finger in the trigger guard too soon and bad things may happen.

I actually like the Serpa design, as properly trained will cause the trigger finger to be indexed, never ending up in the trigger guard. Never use the tip of the finger to release the mechanism - use the flat, extended underside of the finger! Your mileage should not vary.

wrightme

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4e2_1309977569

Some may have seen this as it was posted on another states from

Then there is no reason to cross-post it here.

But, after watching the first slomo section, it is very clear that his finger remained in a safe location throughout the draw. THEN after fully clearing the holster, he clearly curled his finger into the trigger area, and immediately thereafter, the firearm discharged.

This is a failure of "do NOT place your finger on the trigger until the muzzle is pointed at something you intend to place a hole in."

Last edited: