Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Joined the Race! Now a NRA Member!

Activist Member

Thumbs up I Joined the Race! Now a NRA Member!

I did a basic annual NRA membership for starters! They have a deal going on for $25 for one year. I have been conflicting on joining or not so I figure I go ahead and get a membership. I picked the dufflebag and the "America's 1st Freedom" print edition for the magazine. This may not be something to announce or what not but I figure I tell everyone here. Basically I'm trying to be more active on our 2nd right and just in general.
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

Be prepared to get one to two letters a week asking for money or asking you to renew. The NRA is not the worst group out there and they do have a powerful influence on Capitol Hill. Just keep a close eye on how they handle gun rights issues in your state. Does Kansas have it's own gun rights group similar to Virginia's VCDL (www.vcdl.org)? If so, you should join them too. Soon everyone will start telling you how horrible the the NRA is...lol.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-08-2011 at 12:50 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    SNIP Soon everyone will start telling you how horrible the the NRA is...lol.
    Bad mouthing another 2A group is a violation of forum rules. That comment is emphatically not a defense of NRA. I'm only pointing out the rule before it starts, if it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Bad mouthing another 2A group is a violation of forum rules. That comment is emphatically not a defense of NRA. I'm only pointing out the rule before it starts, if it starts.
    I will correct my statement to say the following. Some people may gently point out the NRA's many failures while highlighting a few of their achievements. This will come across as constructive criticism and advice, not an attack. Am I right guys?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Founder's Club Member
    I will correct my statement to say the following. Some people may gently point out the NRA's many failures while highlighting a few of their achievements. This will come across as constructive criticism and advice, not an attack. Am I right guys?
    Just in case, I want to say I wasn't correcting you. I did not consider the violations had already started.

Anybody who says the NRA is a self-interested bureaucracy who will stab other, smaller gun rights groups in the back, try to hog limelight, interfere with pro-2A lawsuits, get special legislative exemptions for themselves, while plying the membership with alarmism, or similar uncomplimentary statements, even if true, would be violating the rules. So, I put up that little comment to prevent it before it started; in no way meant to say you started it.

Now, the rules violators, if any do get started, are open to criticism. Such would be fair. You were commenting on what others might say, not the NRA itself. So, near as I can tell, you wouldn't need to modify your post to be gentler on any critics.

Glad to hear you're becoming more active, DWCook. Welcome to the fight.
    Last edited by Citizen; 08-08-2011 at 01:27 AM.

Yes and if I were to say that "the NRA is a self-interested bureaucracy who will stab other, smaller gun rights groups in the back, try to hog limelight, interfere with pro-2A lawsuits, get special legislative exemptions for themselves, while plying the membership with alarmism" that I too would be in violation of the rules. So, therefore I will not make any similar statement either even IF I might tend to agree so that I would not voilate said rules.

Be prepared to get one to two letters a week asking for money or asking you to renew. other stuff snipped.
    DWCook - Welcome to OCDO.

You can go to the NRA's website and find the membership page. Somewhere down on the bottom is a little checkbox you can click that turns off all the "You only have 364 days left - renew now!" and "We are making a coffee run - please send $$ to support our efforts on your behalf!" mailings.

I don't know why more people don't know about it.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I perfer to support Gun Owners of America because they openly support our rights to Open Carry. I can't say that about NRA.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Lightbulb

uncomplimentary statements, even if true, would be violating the rules
    If you're just speaking the truth is it really bad mouthing?

It's like pointing out that the debt has skyrocketed under Obama...I'm not bad mouthing him, just speaking truth.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Activist Member
    wow talk about getting quite a few negative hits from members about the NRA. They do have a major influence on our gun rights with the Government, so I will still consider them a fighter. The other groups are excellent too, but the NRA has a bigger foot in the door with gun rights than most groups. As far as political wise....I still consider the NRA to have a bigger and louder voice in gun rights. Other groups I am not bashing by any means at all, but considering the many groups out there, most of them don't have major political game with the government with gun rights. More like a spokes person with a few back ups.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    If you're just speaking the truth is it really bad mouthing?

It's like pointing out that the debt has skyrocketed under Obama...I'm not bad mouthing him, just speaking truth.
    The forum rule makes no provision for truth or falsity:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    The forum rule makes no provision for truth or falsity:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.
    Highlighted to clarify.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I joined not to long ago, I liked the hat and neat card.

Figured its only $35 so I might as well take it. Every dollar helps, I plan on joining other groups as money allows.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    DWCook - Welcome to OCDO.

You can go to the NRA's website and find the membership page. Somewhere down on the bottom is a little checkbox you can click that turns off all the "You only have 364 days left - renew now!" and "We are making a coffee run - please send $$ to support our efforts on your behalf!" mailings.

I don't know why more people don't know about it.

stay safe.
    Wow, I like that EPL membership. When my membership was up in Feb, they called and called, they wouldn't cut a deal I had to decline, the moneys a little tight these days with a kid in college. I wonder if they had the EPL in Feb and didn’t tell me about it.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    From article: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ngle_page=true

In the 1920s and ’30s, the NRA was at the forefront of legislative efforts to enact gun control. The organization’s president at the time was Karl T. Frederick, a Princeton- and Harvard-educated lawyer known as “the best shot in America”—a title he earned by winning three gold medals in pistol-shooting at the 1920 Summer Olympic Games. As a special consultant to the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, Frederick helped draft the Uniform Firearms Act, a model of state-level gun-control legislation. (Since the turn of the century, lawyers and public officials had increasingly sought to standardize the patchwork of state laws. The new measure imposed more order—and, in most cases, far more restrictions.)

Frederick’s model law had three basic elements. The first required that no one carry a concealed handgun in public without a permit from the local police. A permit would be granted only to a “suitable” person with a “proper reason for carrying” a firearm. Second, the law required gun dealers to report to law enforcement every sale of a handgun, in essence creating a registry of small arms. Finally, the law imposed a two-day waiting period on handgun sales.

....In the 1960s, the NRA once again supported the push for new federal gun laws. After the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963 by Lee Harvey Oswald, who had bought his gun through a mail-order ad in the NRA’s American Rifleman magazine, Franklin Orth, then the NRA’s executive vice president, testified in favor of banning mail-order rifle sales. “We do not think that any sane American, who calls himself an American, can object to placing into this bill the instrument which killed the president of the United States.” Orth and the NRA didn’t favor stricter proposals, like national gun registration, but when the final version of the Gun Control Act was adopted in 1968, Orth stood behind the legislation. While certain features of the law, he said, “appear unduly restrictive and unjustified in their application to law-abiding citizens, the measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with.”
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Activist Member
    So people here are going to dwell on the past of its original idea, but since has changed. I'm sorry people but most of you folks here that have a complete hatred towards the NRA are just being stubborn. I understand the other organizations that are around and also worth joining up, but we all have to agree that the NRA has a bigger foot in politics towards firearms. Every organization has its downfalls and such, for example. We can have a hundreds and hundreds of local groups that are for firearm ownership and carrying without permits. But whats the worth of having hundreds of groups when at least 90% of them just either write letters or make public appearance. You all have to agree that the NRA does make a difference for us, yes there are some things that they have done or are known for. I am putting my foot down and stating that the NRA does help us out in ways, besides they have made more appearances and defended us in many cases.

Now don't turn my response into an all out thread war of why or how the NRA is corrupted or is a complete waste. I understand we all have our opinions on certain topics. Lets just not turn my response into a fuse waiting to be ignited.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Only problem is that IMO and a great many others on this forum, the NRA IS anti OC and has opposed it by word and deed for some time.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Personally I cannot agree with Skid's basic assumption that the NRA is a 2A group.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Considering that I'm a Life member of both the North American Hunting Club (huntingclub.com) and the NRA, cna somebody fill me in on a couple of other groups?
    I've heard of GOA but am not real familiar with them. Over the last year, I've been getting emails from some group that calls itself the "National Assoc. of Gun Rights" but I don't really know anything about them, other than that the keep asking for money at least as frequently as the NRA. Does anybody know much about them?
    I know a little bit about the SAF, but not much.
    If any of you can supply some details, it would be appreciated.
    What a brilliant idea!!! Promote all the pro-2A groups--except one. Criticism by omission. Just leave one group out of the promotion! No rules violations!

JTHunter is a genuis!

If you feel that the NRA is anti-OC (we are talking about a rifle group, right?), then one way to change that would be to become a voting member of the organization and keep voting pro-2A board members and officers.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    SNIP...I know a little bit about the SAF, but not much.
    If any of you can supply some details, it would be appreciated.
    http://www.saf.org/default.asp?p=safdonation

These membership fees appear responsible, even for a poor (not cheap) guy like me.

"Available Membership Levels

$15 Annual $50 5-Year $150 Life (Defenders Club)

What is the Second Amendment Foundation policy on refunds?
    The Second Amendment Foundation has a 30-day “no questions asked” policy. If you are unhappy with your donation or membership for any reason, Second Amendment Foundation will either cancel your membership or refund the full donation amount. Simply use our contact form here and we will refund your donation right away"
    Last edited by jbone; 08-12-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Edit Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    From article: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ngle_page=true

In the 1920s and ’30s, the NRA was at the forefront of legislative efforts to enact gun control. The organization’s president at the time was Karl T. Frederick, a Princeton- and Harvard-educated lawyer known as “the best shot in America”—a title he earned by winning three gold medals in pistol-shooting at the 1920 Summer Olympic Games. As a special consultant to the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, Frederick helped draft the Uniform Firearms Act, a model of state-level gun-control legislation. (Since the turn of the century, lawyers and public officials had increasingly sought to standardize the patchwork of state laws. The new measure imposed more order—and, in most cases, far more restrictions.)

Frederick’s model law had three basic elements. The first required that no one carry a concealed handgun in public without a permit from the local police. A permit would be granted only to a “suitable” person with a “proper reason for carrying” a firearm. Second, the law required gun dealers to report to law enforcement every sale of a handgun, in essence creating a registry of small arms. Finally, the law imposed a two-day waiting period on handgun sales.

....In the 1960s, the NRA once again supported the push for new federal gun laws. After the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963 by Lee Harvey Oswald, who had bought his gun through a mail-order ad in the NRA’s American Rifleman magazine, Franklin Orth, then the NRA’s executive vice president, testified in favor of banning mail-order rifle sales. “We do not think that any sane American, who calls himself an American, can object to placing into this bill the instrument which killed the president of the United States.” Orth and the NRA didn’t favor stricter proposals, like national gun registration, but when the final version of the Gun Control Act was adopted in 1968, Orth stood behind the legislation. While certain features of the law, he said, “appear unduly restrictive and unjustified in their application to law-abiding citizens, the measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with.”
    Interesting reading, that's why in the end you have to pick and choose if you want to join any, and if so which one (s) are you most comfortable with, because in the end they will all make concessions on your behalf. All you can do is grumble and live with it, or move on. Every organization you could possibly think to join will make concessions, and claim you as the reason/justification behind the action, and sell it as a good thing, a necessary thing, or will somehow strengthen the whole. Research and spend the pennies only where you can digest the promise.
    Last edited by jbone; 08-12-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling, did I get everthing?

I look at the history and I have to wonder if the NRA was created for a different purpose and changed direction, or simply went in the direction of which every way the tides rolled.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Activist Member
    I understand most of the time why some or alot of you people are not for the NRA, I am not really taking sides, but the fact they fight for our right to own firearms and such is a good enough reason for me. I am also glad this thread did not blow up after my last response, sometimes people take my opinions or answers a bit too far on other forums or even some people in the real world. I do agree with some of the issues the NRA opposes, but at the same time I do support them as they defend our rights to possess firearms.

I do have some negative terms against the NRA but its not enough for me to full out hate them.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by DWCook View Post

I do have some negative terms against the NRA but its not enough for me to full out hate them.
    Good distinction. I'm a life member ONLY because they're the name known and feared on Capitol Hill. They are far from the best voice for gun owners, in my opinion, but they are a start upon which we can work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast