• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Joined the Race! Now a NRA Member!

DWCook

Activist Member
I did a basic annual NRA membership for starters! They have a deal going on for $25 for one year. I have been conflicting on joining or not so I figure I go ahead and get a membership. I picked the dufflebag and the "America's 1st Freedom" print edition for the magazine. This may not be something to announce or what not but I figure I tell everyone here. Basically I'm trying to be more active on our 2nd right and just in general.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Be prepared to get one to two letters a week asking for money or asking you to renew. The NRA is not the worst group out there and they do have a powerful influence on Capitol Hill. Just keep a close eye on how they handle gun rights issues in your state. Does Kansas have it's own gun rights group similar to Virginia's VCDL (www.vcdl.org)? If so, you should join them too. Soon everyone will start telling you how horrible the the NRA is...lol.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Soon everyone will start telling you how horrible the the NRA is...lol.

Bad mouthing another 2A group is a violation of forum rules. That comment is emphatically not a defense of NRA. I'm only pointing out the rule before it starts, if it starts.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Bad mouthing another 2A group is a violation of forum rules. That comment is emphatically not a defense of NRA. I'm only pointing out the rule before it starts, if it starts.

I will correct my statement to say the following. Some people may gently point out the NRA's many failures while highlighting a few of their achievements. This will come across as constructive criticism and advice, not an attack. Am I right guys?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I will correct my statement to say the following. Some people may gently point out the NRA's many failures while highlighting a few of their achievements. This will come across as constructive criticism and advice, not an attack. Am I right guys?

Just in case, I want to say I wasn't correcting you. I did not consider the violations had already started.

Anybody who says the NRA is a self-interested bureaucracy who will stab other, smaller gun rights groups in the back, try to hog limelight, interfere with pro-2A lawsuits, get special legislative exemptions for themselves, while plying the membership with alarmism, or similar uncomplimentary statements, even if true, would be violating the rules. So, I put up that little comment to prevent it before it started; in no way meant to say you started it.

Now, the rules violators, if any do get started, are open to criticism. Such would be fair. You were commenting on what others might say, not the NRA itself. So, near as I can tell, you wouldn't need to modify your post to be gentler on any critics.

Glad to hear you're becoming more active, DWCook. Welcome to the fight.

Last edited:

mobeewan

Yes and if I were to say that "the NRA is a self-interested bureaucracy who will stab other, smaller gun rights groups in the back, try to hog limelight, interfere with pro-2A lawsuits, get special legislative exemptions for themselves, while plying the membership with alarmism" that I too would be in violation of the rules. So, therefore I will not make any similar statement either even IF I might tend to agree so that I would not voilate said rules.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Be prepared to get one to two letters a week asking for money or asking you to renew. other stuff snipped.

DWCook - Welcome to OCDO.

You can go to the NRA's website and find the membership page. Somewhere down on the bottom is a little checkbox you can click that turns off all the "You only have 364 days left - renew now!" and "We are making a coffee run - please send $$ to support our efforts on your behalf!" mailings.

I don't know why more people don't know about it.

stay safe.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
uncomplimentary statements, even if true, would be violating the rules

If you're just speaking the truth is it really bad mouthing?

It's like pointing out that the debt has skyrocketed under Obama...I'm not bad mouthing him, just speaking truth.

DWCook

Activist Member
wow talk about getting quite a few negative hits from members about the NRA. They do have a major influence on our gun rights with the Government, so I will still consider them a fighter. The other groups are excellent too, but the NRA has a bigger foot in the door with gun rights than most groups. As far as political wise....I still consider the NRA to have a bigger and louder voice in gun rights. Other groups I am not bashing by any means at all, but considering the many groups out there, most of them don't have major political game with the government with gun rights. More like a spokes person with a few back ups.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If you're just speaking the truth is it really bad mouthing?

It's like pointing out that the debt has skyrocketed under Obama...I'm not bad mouthing him, just speaking truth.

The forum rule makes no provision for truth or falsity:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The forum rule makes no provision for truth or falsity:

(12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

Highlighted to clarify.

Titan357

I joined not to long ago, I liked the hat and neat card.

Figured its only $35 so I might as well take it. Every dollar helps, I plan on joining other groups as money allows.

jbone

DWCook - Welcome to OCDO.

You can go to the NRA's website and find the membership page. Somewhere down on the bottom is a little checkbox you can click that turns off all the "You only have 364 days left - renew now!" and "We are making a coffee run - please send $$ to support our efforts on your behalf!" mailings.

I don't know why more people don't know about it.

stay safe.

Wow, I like that EPL membership. When my membership was up in Feb, they called and called, they wouldn't cut a deal I had to decline, the moneys a little tight these days with a kid in college. I wonder if they had the EPL in Feb and didn’t tell me about it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
From article: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...cret-history-of-guns/8608/3/?single_page=true

In the 1920s and ’30s, the NRA was at the forefront of legislative efforts to enact gun control. The organization’s president at the time was Karl T. Frederick, a Princeton- and Harvard-educated lawyer known as “the best shot in America”—a title he earned by winning three gold medals in pistol-shooting at the 1920 Summer Olympic Games. As a special consultant to the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, Frederick helped draft the Uniform Firearms Act, a model of state-level gun-control legislation. (Since the turn of the century, lawyers and public officials had increasingly sought to standardize the patchwork of state laws. The new measure imposed more order—and, in most cases, far more restrictions.)

Frederick’s model law had three basic elements. The first required that no one carry a concealed handgun in public without a permit from the local police. A permit would be granted only to a “suitable” person with a “proper reason for carrying” a firearm. Second, the law required gun dealers to report to law enforcement every sale of a handgun, in essence creating a registry of small arms. Finally, the law imposed a two-day waiting period on handgun sales.

....In the 1960s, the NRA once again supported the push for new federal gun laws. After the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963 by Lee Harvey Oswald, who had bought his gun through a mail-order ad in the NRA’s American Rifleman magazine, Franklin Orth, then the NRA’s executive vice president, testified in favor of banning mail-order rifle sales. “We do not think that any sane American, who calls himself an American, can object to placing into this bill the instrument which killed the president of the United States.” Orth and the NRA didn’t favor stricter proposals, like national gun registration, but when the final version of the Gun Control Act was adopted in 1968, Orth stood behind the legislation. While certain features of the law, he said, “appear unduly restrictive and unjustified in their application to law-abiding citizens, the measure as a whole appears to be one that the sportsmen of America can live with.”

DWCook

Activist Member
So people here are going to dwell on the past of its original idea, but since has changed. I'm sorry people but most of you folks here that have a complete hatred towards the NRA are just being stubborn. I understand the other organizations that are around and also worth joining up, but we all have to agree that the NRA has a bigger foot in politics towards firearms. Every organization has its downfalls and such, for example. We can have a hundreds and hundreds of local groups that are for firearm ownership and carrying without permits. But whats the worth of having hundreds of groups when at least 90% of them just either write letters or make public appearance. You all have to agree that the NRA does make a difference for us, yes there are some things that they have done or are known for. I am putting my foot down and stating that the NRA does help us out in ways, besides they have made more appearances and defended us in many cases.

Now don't turn my response into an all out thread war of why or how the NRA is corrupted or is a complete waste. I understand we all have our opinions on certain topics. Lets just not turn my response into a fuse waiting to be ignited.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Only problem is that IMO and a great many others on this forum, the NRA IS anti OC and has opposed it by word and deed for some time. :(

Thundar

Personally I cannot agree with Skid's basic assumption that the NRA is a 2A group.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Considering that I'm a Life member of both the North American Hunting Club (huntingclub.com) and the NRA, cna somebody fill me in on a couple of other groups?
I've heard of GOA but am not real familiar with them. Over the last year, I've been getting emails from some group that calls itself the "National Assoc. of Gun Rights" but I don't really know anything about them, other than that the keep asking for money at least as frequently as the NRA. Does anybody know much about them?
I know a little bit about the SAF, but not much.
If any of you can supply some details, it would be appreciated.

What a brilliant idea!!! Promote all the pro-2A groups--except one. Criticism by omission. Just leave one group out of the promotion! No rules violations!

JTHunter is a genuis! :monkey

okboomer

If you feel that the NRA is anti-OC (we are talking about a rifle group, right?), then one way to change that would be to become a voting member of the organization and keep voting pro-2A board members and officers.